PDA

View Full Version : Peep sights for Winchester 94AE?

G. Blessing
09-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Hello Gents,

just wondering what my options are for aperture sight on a Win94AE?

I have the williams 5D on my pre AE Win 94(30-30) And love it! With the stock front sight, I can see well enough to get 2" groups at 100 yards... 10 times better than I need it for moose huntin(main function of the rifle) and a lot of fun at the range.

So, I'd like to ditch the stock sights on the 94AE trapper(.45Colt) I have and see how it does... Like I said, the williams 5D is great, but I wonder what else is out there, and what ya'll like on your 94AEs...

I don't really need oodles of elevation like the williams for this gun. Will probably zero at 50 yards, and 75 to 85 ish is prob the max I'd want to shoot it at. The gun will be my truck gun, hiking bear defense, and all around grab and go for plinking, and small to medium game... Some windage adjustment would be great though, to adjust for my poor shooting(I pull to the left a bit..[smilie=1: :roll: )...

Been looking at XS sights, but havn't heard from anyone that has them on a win94. Anyone?

I also like the looks of a lot of the skinner sights.... anyone found a way to mount any of them on a Win94?

Anything else available out there?

G.
:Fire:

crash87
09-11-2011, 08:04 PM
I have an XS ghost ring on my 94 trails end 45 Colt. I also have a Williams on an 375 big bore XTR. I like the way the XS mounts to the top of the receiver, very unobtrusive and they look very good on the rifle. Like anything else you have to decide what works for you. But, they both do the intended job rather "perfectly", no complaints on either.
CRASH87

Okie2
09-11-2011, 08:29 PM
1+ on XS...have on winnie 94AE in .357...Looove those sights.

pietro
09-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Williams makes both a 5D and a FoolProof (FP) peep sight for the Model 94AE that utilizes the top/rear scope mount prep holes.

Also available with matching Gold bead or FireSight fiber-optic front sight blades as a "set".

I used one on a Rossi Model 92 successfully.

G. Blessing
09-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Yeah, looking now a the FP, I'd love to have it on the 30-30....Should have gotten it to begin with. Re-sighting the 5D when changing loads, and ranges is a pain. Too bad the receivers are different, I'd get the FP for it and put the 5D I have on the .45

I'm leaning toward the XS, low profile, and comes with a front sight... the stock black post was a pain at dawn in he woods hunting last week.

pietro
09-15-2011, 01:14 PM
If you REALLY wanted to, the 5D-94AE peep can be installed onto your top-eject Model 94 the same way I installed one on my Model 92 Rossi - D/T one hole atop the rear of each receiver sidewall 6-48 to accept/mount it.

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r431/pwawryk/DSCN0385-1.jpg

TXGunNut
09-16-2011, 10:15 PM
Here's another option, company that made these was called One Ragged Hole or something like that. As you can see it mounts on your rear sight, they made one for Ruger revolvers as well. I think they were out of business last I checked but maybe you'll run across one.
I think they're still around! http://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/ohs-ruger.html

G. Blessing
09-18-2011, 10:27 PM
D/T is an option I have considered.... I deffinetally have the tooling to do it... just really not sure i want hat sight on it...

I dunno about the one ragged hole, not only finding one, but how well does a peep work if its only that far from your eye? I'd think it'd obscure a lot of F.O.V.

Heavy lead
09-18-2011, 10:34 PM
The Marbles Bullseye sight will do the same as the one ragged hole.
I've got one on a 1895 that I haven't drilled and tapped for a regular reciever sight yet, however so far I do not think it's got anything over the buckhorn, the fov is great, it's a big double hole.
I like the 5D, yes it doesn't adjust as well as the FP, but I don't find for me that is a concern on the .44, the .45 or the .30-30 I've got them on. Also I prefer the Marbles 1/16" ivory bead on the front. Fine enough to do good target work and you can see it well in low light.

TXGunNut
09-19-2011, 11:07 PM
ORH works quite well, IMHO. I could measure the aperture and you could drill a hole in some scrap for a test run, if you'd like. I can't shoot buckhorn sights these days and I won't scope a Trapper. It's very similar in sight picture to my other Trapper.

G. Blessing
09-20-2011, 04:00 AM
Hmm. I'm gonna pass on the bullseye and the ORH. would like more adjustment than that style of mount, I think. At least something i don't have to punch drift for windage. I also wonder about durability, they look like they stick up a fair bit more than the stock buckhorn blade, but are still fairly thin metal pieces...

I'd love to just breakout the steel and go to work to built exactly what i want... But, Don't have the time now, or in the foreseeable future.

I'm gonna go with the XS, and I think a fire sight front.
Unless something more interesting comes along.

On that last note; any experiance with the ones from wild west guns?
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=16632/Product/LEVER_RIFLE_SIGHTS

G.