PDA

View Full Version : model 14 smith

mainiac
09-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Anybody know where there is one of these,preferably with 8 3/8 barrell? Im getting an itch for a real good 38.........they seem to be scarce around these parts.

Is there another revolver out there that can shoot tighter than a 14?

fecmech
09-11-2011, 10:33 PM
First, all 14's do not shoot well. A friend has one that he has done just about everything to and it's still a 2" 25 yd gun at best. Smith made some turkeys even in the Model 14. That said the model 14 is generally a good shooter but so are 586's, 686's Ruger GP's, Dan Wessons,Colt officer models and others. I have one (Model 14) that is extremely accurate but my Ruger GP is pretty darn close in the accuracy dept. Good luck in your search.

MtGun44
09-12-2011, 12:21 AM
I have a 6" 586 that is about as accurate as my best M14. My Ruger Sec Six 6" is right in there,
too.

Bill

9.3X62AL
09-12-2011, 10:03 AM
Accurate 38/357s are where you find them. The likelihood that a given Model 14 will shoot well is a bit higher than a lot of the makes/models out there--they were called Masterpiece models, after all--but the S&W 586/686-series has a great rep too. There is a Colt OMT x 6" in my safe I won't swap for diamonds, and a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk x 7.5" that I can't do justice with my skill limits. My 4" 686 just seems enchanted.......boolits go where I point them as if warlock-directed. And my 5" Model 10......time to shut up, I'm getting lyrical now.

The 38 Special and 357 Magnum are just great calibers, period--so a lot of the revolvers that come in those calibers really shine for their owners. The same can be said of the 44 Special and Magnum. It seems like a chicken/egg argument to me--and one that pays dividends to owners regardless of which side you favor.

Model 14s are a little hard to find. People that have them shoot them, and the results derived cause most folks to retain them and prize them. S&W has a limited-edition run shown on their website, if the glory-hole/MIM examples aren't a deal-stopper for you.

x101airborne
09-12-2011, 10:55 AM
I had a model 14 that really did not shoot any better than my 3" model 10 and was a lot harder to carry. Traded it for half credit on an M-1A. you could certainly find an exceptional one, sure. But I wouldnt say that the 14 is better than any other models. A ruger 3-screw blackhawk from around the 70's or early 80's is just goofy accurate. I am an average pistol shooter and with mine I can hit a coke can out to 150 yards as long as I dont get some sight glare from the sun. That blackhawk is a lot cheaper, too.

revolvergeek
09-16-2011, 12:17 PM
Collector's Firearms out of Houston generally has a couple on their website.

Char-Gar
09-16-2011, 12:49 PM
I have at 4 K-38 (14) and every one of them shot well. They were configured to be a target pistol, but were no more or less accurate than any other Smith K frame 38. The target configuration made them a little easier to shoot well, than the police configuration.

FN in MT
09-16-2011, 01:47 PM
Shot a pair of K-38's for 20 yrs in both Bullseye and PPC as well as using them for gopher shooters, plinkers. Mine were both very accurate.

NEVER saw a Python or the old Colt Officers Model Match that were not very accurate.

OP....Take a look over on the S&W Forums FOR SALE side for your M-14. Check it several times each day as the good stuff goes quickly.

FN in MT