PDA

View Full Version : Loose screws

44man
09-11-2011, 06:02 PM
We went down to shoot the .500 JRH today and could not hit anything. I found I could click the scope back and forth. The ring screws were loose and the base screws also.
The base holes were cleaned with acetone as were the screws. Red Loc- Tite was used with Loc-Tite primer. Screws were tightened, then torque applied and so the driver could be hit with a small hammer to full tight. Made no difference, screws came loose.
I just put the base back on with epoxy on the screws. I can't fool with loose screws.

Heavy lead
09-11-2011, 06:39 PM
How many rounds did it take to shoot the mount loose?

subsonic
09-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Bummer. Very frustrating.

Can you go to a larger screw dia? Better quality screw?

Hope the epoxy works, but i also hope you never have to take those screws out.

44man
09-11-2011, 11:27 PM
How many rounds did it take to shoot the mount loose?
Maybe 30. Glad I found it before deer season. I have some Weaver rings to try. Not enough money yet to buy an Ultra Dot and Warne rings.

missionary5155
09-12-2011, 04:03 AM
Good morning Glad you found it before some threads let loose. It amazes me still how the impulses of nasty recoil can defeat Red Locktight. Mike in Peru

Rodfac
09-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Off topic...but....44Man...any idea where I could find a set of 7/8" rings? I've got a Leupold "Alaskan" in that off-size that need a pair. I've done a search but have come up short. My Sako Forester wears an old pair of Redfields .... that's what I'd like. I've got a Marlin Lever in mind for the 2.5x Alaskan...TIA, Rod

44man
09-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Off topic...but....44Man...any idea where I could find a set of 7/8" rings? I've got a Leupold "Alaskan" in that off-size that need a pair. I've done a search but have come up short. My Sako Forester wears an old pair of Redfields .... that's what I'd like. I've got a Marlin Lever in mind for the 2.5x Alaskan...TIA, Rod
OH nuts, that is a tough one. I have no idea where to find rings.

missionary5155
09-12-2011, 05:00 PM

Greetings I would not hesistate to try a couple wraps of old cloth friction tape. May not last forever but would handle a site in and hunting season. Leather strips wrapped around scope & glued on with contact cement also hold pretty good.
Mke in Peru