PDA

View Full Version : new rifle came home,

adrians
09-11-2011, 11:31 AM
hi i just left the gun show with a #4 mk1 enfield so my question is .
when you get a new "toy" what is the first thing you do when you get it home?
tear it down?
reasearch it?
clean it?
play with it ?
admire your shrewed purchase?
wallow in the mud cos you talked the dealer down a bit on price?
or load up and take it out and lob some lead down range?
or in my case hide it from the wife?
so what do you do ?.
:evil:[smilie=w::evil:

gew98
09-11-2011, 11:59 AM
All of the above...not necessarily in that order.

adrians
09-12-2011, 05:46 PM
All of the above...not necessarily in that order.

good answer my wife is out of town right now so i don't need to hide it yet ,so i'm thinking a good mild clean and then see what i got,
all i know from the chamber cast i did it's very close to spec and almost no leade (neck) to speak of , so i'm off to a good start i think .
the hidding part comes tommorow when herself gets home then the explaining begins , because you know that rifle could have bought a new dishwasher or something ect,,,ect,,,ect,,.:twisted:[smilie=l::evil:
"oh bother" said donkey

DCM
09-12-2011, 06:07 PM
There are MANY good reasons to have as large of a gun safe as you can realistically get to where you want to keep it.

One is firearms do tend to procreate once inside. :shock::shock: I don't know how but they do.[smilie=1:

adrians
09-12-2011, 06:24 PM
yer but i.m running outa space and i would have a hard time convincing ole wifeypoo we need a bigger house, that would only leade to a mdern day"spanish inquisition' and id'e be the one with the hot poker going you know where. :twisted: [smilie=1: :twisted:

dragonrider
09-12-2011, 07:38 PM
Take it home, take it apart and clean it. I have never bought a rifle that didn't need to be cleaned.
9 time out of 10 it has been used with jacketed bullets and therefore needs to be decoppered before I will shoot it. This may take several applications of Outers Foul Out II and scrubbing in between.

adrians
09-13-2011, 12:15 AM
dragon that is my next plan of action ,,, it also tells alot about the previous owners handling and cleaning methods ,sadly some are non existant ,,,,shame! :twisted::roll::evil:

303Guy
09-13-2011, 12:51 AM
Fire-lapping might help too (if done properly). Might even be the best course of action. But if in doubt - don't.

adrians
09-13-2011, 06:54 AM
Fire-lapping might help too (if done properly). Might even be the best course of action. But if in doubt - don't.

morning , how does one go about doing that? if anyone would know how to do it right your handle says it all for me:twisted::bigsmyl2::twisted:.
p.s i'm so deep "in doubt" i can't see the sky[smilie=l:

adrians
09-13-2011, 07:01 AM
just a follow up ?
i have a rawson target sight on my 2a ( cost me an arm and leg ,but worth it ) i got it from a fella in australia.
what sight would be a more finacially viable sight for this #4,,ofcourse absolutely no d/t or ugly scout mount.....:twisted::coffee::evil:

jonk
09-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Clean the bore and action. Investigate for any small cracks in the wood. Fire a primed empty case to verify firing pin and spring are free and working. Then shoot it for real.

adrians
09-13-2011, 06:49 PM
right on jonk, will do it tonight and i'm feeling brave so i'll do it during my wifes fav show:twisted:
then i will await my imminant ,ugly ,painfull ,bloody, death:awesome:

MtGun44
09-17-2011, 10:20 PM
Disassemble, clean thoroughly, inspect bolt lugs, check firing pin protrusion, look for
cracks in the reciever ring.

Bill

adrians
09-18-2011, 10:12 AM
o.k all is checked out .
disassembly----done, (spelling ?)
cleaning----done,
functuallity of all moving parts----done,
wood and furniture inspection----done.

so all i need now is ,,,,, brass, mold, dies, gas-checks,,,[smilie=w: and i'm off to town.
have a relaxing sunday .
adrian :evil: :coffee: :twisted:

303Guy
09-23-2011, 06:18 AM
I'm not sure there is a 'wrong way' to fire-lapp a bore. The way I did mine was rather aggressive but then I had some serious rust to remove. I'm being a lot gentler on my 'oversize bore' rifle as its bore is only a little roughened. I put a few paper patched boolits that had been rolled on valve grinding paste then switched to a metal polish which I smeared on the boolit liberally.

My aggressive approach was with a custom made to fit brass bullet.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/th_PigGunFire-LapCartridge.jpg?t=1272188092 This one of them. The compound is held in a groove withing the neck. The front bits are only guides and are sized to neatly fit their respective points in the throat and bore. Probably overkill.

This is my preferred style although I'm going to drop three middle bands.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/th_MVC-565F-1.jpg?t=1270871769

The downside with these is that if they enter the throat skew or are too large, they jam! That requires drilling them out which is a mission. Also, they can seal in the chamber pressure which is a bit disconcerting when the bolt is opened. They need to incorporate a vent to let out the pressure under worst case scenario. But get them right and they work a treat!

mroliver77
09-25-2011, 11:24 PM
Fire lapping is a last resort option for me. I use a dead soft boolit charged with abrasive. I roll the boolit between two plates with some abrasive so it is imbedded into the boolit and acts like a cutter. I do lube these. I fire with a minimal charge of Bulls Eye or such powder. This method helps keep the throat erosion to a minimum. I borrowed this from Veral Smith.

303 Guy marches to the beat of his own drum. He sure gets results too! Very interesting lap concept!
J

Rio Grande
09-26-2011, 10:39 AM
There are MANY good reasons to have as large of a gun safe as you can realistically get to where you want to keep it.

One is firearms do tend to procreate once inside. :shock::shock: I don't know how but they do.[smilie=1:

Heck, safes cost so much I'd have to get another safe to put my safe in.

My firearms ain't procreatin' like they should anyway. You really reckin it's cuz I don't have a safe?
If I stood 'em up inside a cardboard box and shut it up (for privacy) you think that'd work?
Maybe they're just too old or wore out to care?
Where can I get me some of them multiplyin' and fruitful ones?