PDA

View Full Version : Lee Prod. Pot iv-bottom pore!

Willyp
09-11-2011, 08:03 AM
I melted some wheel weights,yesterday. No matter how much i fluxed,when i tried to cast a bullet,it would have what looked like chunks of dust or grit in the bullet!
I used Marvel flux,bees wax,bullet lube and candle wax! I stired and stired it,but it came! What the am i doing wrong??????

Gtek
09-11-2011, 09:18 AM
Did you confirm no Zn zinkies in your melt? Zinc is the Boolit guy's enemy. Turn pot all the way up and get back to clean, isolate that batch /poured boolits. Start over with new source (clean Pb) for melt and try to do everything the same. I call it the drag race rule, you change more than one thing you do not know what or which one done it! Be Safe- Gtek

badbob454
09-11-2011, 11:37 AM
how far is the drop to the bullet mold , it may be oxidizing on the way in , try to cast as close to the mold as comfortable , or @ 1/4 '' drop or less, adjust the mold seat up , and rest and slide the mold as it pours , hope this helps , or may have zinc as stated as above ,

onondaga
09-11-2011, 10:13 PM
A good candidate for a big mistake is using the same pot to melt wheel weights and cast boolits.Also, was your metal hot enough to burst wax into flame in about 5 seconds? That is a basic heat indicator that your metal is hot enough to flux if you don't have a thermometer.

There is a lot of junk in WW even if you are excellent at separating out the non lead WW and rubbish. It is a big deal to get that stuff clean. If you can not get a clean silver shiny melt surface, figure out why, fix it and pour ingots to add to a clean pot before casting boolits or it is not likely to get any better for you.

Gary

fredj338
09-12-2011, 01:18 AM
A good candidate for a big mistake is using the same pot to melt wheel weights and cast boolits.Also, was your metal hot enough to burst wax into flame in about 5 seconds? That is a basic heat indicator that your metal is hot enough to flux if you don't have a thermometer.

There is a lot of junk in WW even if you are excellent at separating out the non lead WW and rubbish. It is a big deal to get that stuff clean. If you can not get a clean silver shiny melt surface, figure out why, fix it and pour ingots to add to a clean pot before casting boolits or it is not likely to get any better for you.

Gary

This^^^^ Many compalin about the Lee BP pots leaking. Don't smelt in them, don't run them dry & they rarely leak. Depending on your scrap, it may be ruined or you may need better fluxing. Try real wood sawdust & a wood paint stick. Stir often, remove the dros several times, then ope the spout & pour off about 1# or so. Then try casting. The cleaner the alloy going into th epot, the cleaner the alloy going into the mold, the better the bullets.

madsenshooter
09-12-2011, 02:34 AM
I fixed mine. Got a pot and ladle!