PDA

View Full Version : The Big Trouble With Lee Sixers...

Sonnypie
09-10-2011, 08:36 PM
... is the volume.
Holy Hanna!
So I finally get my metal, have the handles, and the mold is ready to rock.
I start working it and throwing back until I get good results.
Not great results, but hey, I'm learning. Been doing that for... um... 61 + years now.
I get rolling along and have a pile of boolits in the catch pan on a layer of rag padding.

And the water drop method comes to mind...

Why not? So I get a large coffee uhh, container, (I love those things around the shop) and fill it most of the way with hose water. And start dropping boolits from the mold into the water.
Cheauuuu.... they go as they drop in. I go a bit, then leave the mold on the furnace and check the boolits. :bigsmyl2:
Gonna do mine this way from now on! Purdy, consistent, COLD. Not shiny, but chrome don't make it go neither. But they appear more consistent than my air cooled alternatives. (Which, incidentally, went back in the furnace and got water dropped.)

Any way, the volume... this thing DRINKS lead, and spit out boolits!
After a very short learning curve I have hundreds and hundreds of boolits!
And the box of ingots is dwindling. :cry:
I have 300 of the one evenings (3 hours?) of playing sized already, and probably 150-200 still to go.
These are just regular round nosed 45 ball boolits.
LINK (http://leeprecision.com/xcart/6-CAVITY-452-228-1R.html)
http://leeprecision.com/xcart/images/P/p-25.jpg

HeavyMetal
09-10-2011, 08:54 PM
Ya!!

First timers usually get a little "wild" when they try thier first 6 banger. Yours in particular should be a real easy casting mold because of the RNL design!

I usually "crack" on Lee becuase of thier incredible lack of QC but the truth is this set up they get about 99.9% right all the time!

So much so that I usually have two of the same design going when I cast, the 125 grain 9mm and the H&G 68 clone they market.

Production is so good I set up a dual pot casting station: one old Lyman model 61 Mold Master and a Lee "auto drip" above it.

As I cast the Lee has a pre melted load ready to drop anytime I need it so I usually re fill the Lyman at about half full and then re fill the lee.

This set up makes a huge bunch of quality boolits in a 2 hour time frame!

For the price ya can't beat them if the QC is spot on!

Artful
09-10-2011, 08:58 PM
Welcome to production, you should look into at least having two pots, preferably both 20 lb each - makes the lead fly and the water container steam !

Phat Man Mike
09-10-2011, 09:46 PM
wow sounds like you had fun.. that boolit won't cycle the ole 1911 we have:( the nose profile is wrong.

Sonnypie
09-10-2011, 11:36 PM
I can't say for sure yet, Mike.
Last time out my extractor broke, so I had to single shot my 1911-A1.
It is 996 of 1000 made in 1929.
New extractor in and ready to do some range time again.
Still developing a pet load.
Reason I picked this shape was to replicate (sans the jacket) what I've been running through it. (230 grain military ball ammo.)
My experience with this and a Browning High Power 9mm is they can be finicky with what they get fed.
Hand wise, they have been feeding fine. But I realize that is a far cry from the firing line. ;)

I'm just real pleased with the 6 cav Lee mold. Once you get a rhythm going it piles up the boolits.
And I like the water drop method. Didn't think I would, but I was wrong about that.

MtGun44
09-11-2011, 12:02 AM
Not every body needs the production rate, but if you do, it is great.

Bill

geargnasher
09-12-2011, 12:11 AM
Those six-bangers really rock once you get them tuned up and dialed-in! Welcome to the production madness.

While I hope your results are better than mine, I gave up on that boolit design in my 1911's, it tended to be too fat at the base, not mimicking the true, two-radius ogive of the original "ball" ammo, and it can trip the slide-lock lever prematurely in some guns. I ended up having to seat it deeper than I wanted in order to get it to chamber correctly, and then it was so short in the magazine that it didn't hit the feed ramp at the right angle and tended to jam. This is in three different guns. I had Tom at Accurate Molds make this design based upon the Lee TL452-230-2R, and it works like a champ in 1911s:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28901&d=1296091775

Gear

Clinebo
09-12-2011, 12:58 AM
Gear> Is that mold a custom order? And how much would one be, if you don't mind me asking.

geargnasher
09-12-2011, 01:20 AM
Custom order to your size, with your alloy, number of cavities, mould material (brass, aluminum, or steel), etc. For more details and pricing, go to "accurate molds dot com". Here's a detail from the site:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/img/bullets/catalogue/45-230L.png

http://www.accuratemolds.com/img/bullets/detail/45-230L-D.png

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27893&d=1293080301

Tom will design anything you want as long as it has a .118" or larger meplat and is .30 caliber and above.

Gear

JIMinPHX
09-12-2011, 01:59 AM
Reason I picked this shape was to replicate (sans the jacket) what I've been running through it. (230 grain military ball ammo.)
My experience with this and a Browning High Power 9mm is they can be finicky with what they get fed.

I'm aware of two ways to make a 1911 less finicky about what it eats. You can do a lot of ramp work on the barrel, or you can change to a magazine that has "wadcutter lips". You can see what I'm talking about in post #5 of this thread - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=42221

Sonnypie
09-12-2011, 08:45 PM
Well, I'll let you all know after the next range trip.
So far it "hand cycles" ok. But we all know that is a far cry from real live fire.
I use an original ball bullet to set my seating die, then do comparison checks all around trying to replicate the original ammo.

Love that brass mold, Gear!
How has it held up for you?
Where did they hide the other 3 cavities? :kidding: :drinks:

I'm thinking my next one will be brass. (Like I need another hole in my empty head)
Has anyone had troubles with a brass mold tinning, so that boolits stick in it? All I've ever worked with was aluminum, and a steel mold I made for my pellet rifle as a kid.
I'm real curious about brass and it sure is purdy!

Oh, that little playtime with the new 6 cav yielded 537 boolits (final answer). I counted them as I ran them through the sizer. (I plunked a handful back in the cold furnace, no funny ones need apply.)
Best part about this whole affliction is being able to run them back through and make them different, or an entirely different boolit all together. :coffee:

Boolseye
09-12-2011, 11:57 PM
I like the sixers–I have, lessee...4. They all drop good bullets, with the H&G 68 clone and the TL158-358SWC probably the best of the lot. I have that TL230-452 that Gear mentions and I like it–but that Accurate mold looks far superior. Looks like you're having fun, Son–I'll be interested to hear how that boolit shoots. I can't imagine you'd have much difficulty chambering it. If you do, a throated barrel and/or a tighter crimp will remedy it. Otherwise, as Gear mentions in another post, the nose profile of the TL230-452 is more or less a duplicate of the original hardball profile, and will feed in any 1911 if seated properly.
-jp

Buckshot
09-13-2011, 02:00 AM
.............I've marveled at the custom mould makers wares. I've seen Tom's (Accurate Moulds) moulds before and noticed he used precision shoulder screws with wave washers for the SP pivit bolt, which I felt was a great thing. For some reason I just now noticed in Geargnasher's photo he also uses one for the SP stop. Heck fire, he must get a great deal on them as they're close to $1.50 apiece. Let's be honest a 1/2" piece of 1/4 mild steel @ .02¢ would work as well:groner: Run a form tool against it to round the end for looks. Not being negative a-tall, just sayin'. [smilie=l:

..............Buckshot

white eagle
09-13-2011, 09:30 AM
I have been biten as well
though my last mold is a 425gr. behemoth
that drinks lead like a vampire drinks blood..........
Tom does make a good mold and has pride build in ......

Sonnypie
09-13-2011, 12:23 PM
I did the leg work and that there mould is $116. (Brass)
Oh man, is my wallet pocket ever itchin!

But I really need an annual pass to the range worse than yet another purdy mold, right now.
:violin:

cbrick
09-14-2011, 10:58 AM
But I really need an annual pass to the range worse than yet another purdy mold, right now.
:violin:

Hhmmm . . . Your in Saugus, which range are you looking at for an annual pass?

Rick

MikeS
09-16-2011, 05:52 AM
Sonny:

If you don't mind a tumble lube design, Lee's 230gr round nose 45 mould makes some nice boolits. I've been meaning to get one of them in a six cavity mould as they feed great in my Taurus PT1911, and look good, and shoot good too. I had a 2 cavity mould of that design before I decided to sell off almost all of my 2 cavity moulds (I only have 3 left, 2 Lyman, 1 SAECO). I sized them to .452 and tumble lubed them twice (once before sizing, once after), and haven't had a bit of leading with it. If I wasn't already in 4 different group buys I would buy one of these tomorrow, but even after selling off most of my 2 cavity moulds, I'm still at 24 moulds (counting the GB's I haven't got yet), and even with my new workbench mould storage is getting tight (I like to have each mould on it's own set of handles). One nice thing about tumble lube boolits is that you can always use one of the TL lube grooves as a crimp groove if you want to use the boolit in a revolver that needs a crimp.

Sonnypie
09-20-2011, 10:05 AM
Hhmmm . . . Your in Saugus, which range are you looking at for an annual pass?

Rick

Sorry Rick, didn't see this sooner. :oops:
A Place To Shoot (http://www.aplacetoshoot.net/) was what I was thinking.
I did belong to The Americana 1800 Club (http://www.1800info.org/) back in the early 1990's but dropped out because I just did not have the time or the incline to continue after a few years.
I'm retired now, and of the 4 range options close to me, A Place To Shoot best fits my desires in a shooting spot.
I use The Oak Tree Gun Club (http://www.oaktreegunclub.com/) as a supply for some needs. (Primers, Powder, and Shot)
Angeles Shooting Range (http://www.angelesranges.com/) is where I cut my teeth on High Power shooting at the tender age of 12 or 13. Dad would take me there from 6 on up. He'd get a spot on the 200 yard line, and one for me on the 100 yard line. We'd shoot all day long.
During summer vacation I'd take the 10 Y/O Grandson and we'd go on "Senior Friday's". For $7 we could stay as long as we wanted. 10 and under shoot for free.
The Step-Son came along once, and we took a nephew when he was down for a couple of weeks.

Do you go to one of these ranges?

Sonnypie
09-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Sonny:

If you don't mind a tumble lube design, Lee's 230gr round nose 45 mould makes some nice boolits. I've been meaning to get one of them in a six cavity mould as they feed great in my Taurus PT1911, and look good, and shoot good too. I had a 2 cavity mould of that design before I decided to sell off almost all of my 2 cavity moulds (I only have 3 left, 2 Lyman, 1 SAECO). I sized them to .452 and tumble lubed them twice (once before sizing, once after), and haven't had a bit of leading with it. If I wasn't already in 4 different group buys I would buy one of these tomorrow, but even after selling off most of my 2 cavity moulds, I'm still at 24 moulds (counting the GB's I haven't got yet), and even with my new workbench mould storage is getting tight (I like to have each mould on it's own set of handles). One nice thing about tumble lube boolits is that you can always use one of the TL lube grooves as a crimp groove if you want to use the boolit in a revolver that needs a crimp.

Hi Mike,
Yeah, my 2 cav Lee is the TL 230. When it arrived I immediately made a hollow point mold out of it. Dropped it to a 222 grain (nominally) boolit mold.
I set my seating die to match the original 45 ACP ball Military ammo I have for the firearm.
Last range trip my extractor broke, so I had to hand cycle to even pattern the loads I was working on. :sad: That's fixed and I have a reloaded bunch of batches for my next range trip.
I've been tumble loobing those, and the 2-groove from the 6 cav.
So far no leading and I've been real happy with how it is going. ;-)

cbrick
09-20-2011, 10:34 AM
Angeles Shooting Range (http://www.angelesranges.com/) is where I cut my teeth on High Power shooting at the tender age of 12 or 13.

Do you go to one of these ranges?

I am a part owner of Angeles Ranges and that is also where the Silhouette club is and so the vast majority of my shooting is there, in fact I'll be there in a couple of hours.

If you haven't been there in awhile you'll be shocked at the vast improvemnets to the entire property including a fully stocked reloading store.

Rick

Sonnypie
09-20-2011, 04:27 PM
"I.. am.. a.. part... owner... of.. Angeles... Ranges..." :holysheep

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Well, H e l l o Rick!
I would guess you don't mess around with the dirt patches out my way then. :lol:

My first range trip with Dad was in 1956 and he sat me down with his Remington Model 12 pump 22 S,L, LR. I was 6.
He loved to shoot the 200 yard line where the targets lowered, got patched, and rose back up.
Dad would shoot an ammo box with 120 rounds in it over the day, sometimes more. The white patch on the Bulls Eye would never move.
Dad's chest, shoulder and upper arm would be yellow, black, and blue for a week afterwords. The Springfield's are steel butt-plated. Dad didn't use any padding.
In 1962 (I think it was) we went up with a friend of Dad's, and Vern had a 30-40 Martini rifle he let me shoot. That day I progressed from the 22, to the 30-40 Martini, and Vern sez to Dad, "You ought to let him try the 06."
Dad looked at me and said, "You want to try it?" And I cautiously said yes. But I wanted some sort of padding. Mom insisted I bring a sweater that morning. Dad folded it up into a big pad for my shoulder.
He coached me on the hold, "Pull it in tight as you can to your shoulder." he said, "It's going to back up hard, just let it rock you back and I'll be right behind you if you think you will fall."
I almost went over backwards, rifle and all. But the weight of the old 1903A3 Springfield brought me back to the bench.
I LOVED IT! (Because it didn't hurt) After a few more shots I knew what to expect and that it wasn't going to knock me down. After 7 or eight shots I was in the black with Dad's coaching.
"Hold the blade right in the center of the peep sight, and put the black sitting right on top of front sight. Then s q u e e z e the trigger. Don't think about the recoil, just concentrate on holding the sights in alignment." He told me in his gentle teaching voice.
Next thing I knew by shot 10 or 12 I was holding real close to constant bulls eyes. Then I realized the firing line was awful quite. I looked around and got a little embarrassed. Most of the men had stopped to watch the little boy almost fall over backwards as the Springfield recoiled to about a 45 degree angle. But it brought me back down with it's weight.
I think I shot around 20-25 rounds with Dad's Springfield that day. My arm, shoulder and scrawny chest were all sore. But a Good kind of sore...
But what a great time! I've loved High Power Shooting every since.
Yes Sir, Angeles holds some very dear memories for my Sisters and I. Dad taught all of us to shoot, one at a time. (I don't think any of them ever shot an 0ught-6 though.)
I should make it full circle and come join up at Angeles. My Baby Sister inherited the Springfield's. She said we should go shootin up at Angeles some day.
And I'm certainly not getting any younger...

I'll PM you some info, Rick. And maybe we could do a meet and greet and burn some powder one day soon. Real soon...

cbrick
09-20-2011, 09:07 PM
"I.. am.. a.. part... owner... of.. Angeles... Ranges..." :holysheep

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Well, H e l l o Rick!

Don't go and get your panties in a knot, it's a very small part.

Angeles Shooting Ranges is a 100 acre shooting facility with multiple ranges. Open 364 days a year (Closed Christmas day only) is a public 200 foot covered rifle line, a 200 foot covered pistol line, clay throwers & more plus multiple private ranges available for rent to law enforcement, instructors etc. Also at ASR is the Los Angeles Silhouette Club and Moore & Moore Sporting Clays. Several classes are held there from hunters safety, self defense, firearm training for new shooters and an NRA certified handloading course. There is a full range reloading store that has most everything.

The range is owned by share holders and governed by a Board of Directors, the full time General manager is also President of the Board. I am one of the share holders.

There are no firearm sales or rentals by ASR though there is an office there (kinda like an outside contractor) where you can order firearms and do FFl transfers etc. In the range office they sell a fairly good variety of loaded ammo.

Rick

Sonnypie
09-20-2011, 09:42 PM
"Don't go and get your panties in a knot, it's a very small part."

I don't wear panties. :shock:

Actually, until the Grand-kids started hanging out I went commando....
And the old Chinese lady behind the counter said, "Too much infomation, Too much Infomation!"

I'll have you know I only wear, Ahem, Costco Briefs, or I wear nothing at all! :2_high5:

Thanks for answering my question, Rick. Gottcha.
Still need to figure out a M&G sometime. :2 drunk buddies:

Onward through the fog! :popcorn:

Sometimes I feel like a nut,
Sometimes I don't,
Hum, hm, hm, hm, hm-hm-hm,
Hum, hm, hm, hmp....