PDA

View Full Version : federal 32 magnum factory loads

mainiac
01-28-2007, 09:50 PM
went to a gun show last weekend and happened upon to boxes of factory loads for the 32. 85 grain lead s.w.c. There pretty old i think (red 50 round boxes), shot some today,and they shoot pretty well (3 inch groups @ 40 yards) Didnt chrono them as its to cold up here to bother with that contraption! Anyways, i pulled one of the rounds,and the bullet is smooth sided,no lube grooves or knurling,and a single crimp groove,with a slight hollow base. The things never leaded a bit, so im wondering what they put on these bullets for a lube? thanks,

Buckshot
01-31-2007, 04:38 AM
..............Can you detect ANY lube at all? I'd say they were lubed with some dip type stuff with a solid lube like moly in a volatile carrier at the least.

.................Buckshot

shooterman
01-31-2007, 06:50 AM
the bullets federal used to use looked like hornady swaged lead bullets. knurling on the skirt and a tumble style lube. the hornadys shoot ok and i've never had a leading problem.

Harry O
01-31-2007, 08:04 PM
I have a couple of .32 Magnums. Back when they were introduced, Federal would not sell that brass for reloading and Starline did not make them (I don't even know if they were in business yet). Anyway, I shot up a bunch of expensive Federal factory loads to get brass (and it was brittle to boot). There were two different kinds of lead loads (one earlier and one later) and one type of jacketed load. The first lead load was a semi-wadcutter and was not very accurate. The later one is a round nose with a flat point. It is dipped in wax of some kind. I have some old ones that have gotten brittle and some of the wax has broken off. Anyway, the later one worked better and was more accurate.

I now use a 98gr RCBS round-nose, flat-point with 4.0gr to 4.5gr of Unique shot out of a S&W Model 631 SuperKitGun. Works good for me, is accurate, and is about equal to factory loads. I also have an early Ruger Single-Six single action (with adjustable sights). I use 85gr Hornady XTP with 7.5gr of 2400. It is VERY accurate. This is a higher pressure load than factory and I will not use it is the S&W. I have gone up to 8.5gr of 2400 with it, but it is difficult to eject the empty cases after firing. No such problem with 7.5gr. I also had a S&W NewModel 16 in .32 Magnum that I have since had rechambered to 32-20, but that is a whole nuther story.

Nueces
01-31-2007, 10:05 PM
OK, Harry O, let's hear that story!

Specifically, my own measurements showed that taking a 32 H&R to 32-20 wouldn't clean up the H&R chamber - you'd need to move the 32-20 shoulder forward. What was your experience?

Thanks, Mark

Dale53
01-31-2007, 10:43 PM
When the first .32 mags were introduced, I bought a Ruger SS (4 5/8"?). I bought a S&W 631 as soon as it was introduced (4") and then later, a S&W 16-4 full underlugged barrel 6". Right after I got "into" the .32 H&R, Federal quit selling components to reloaders. Since they were the only source for brass, to say I was ticked off would be putting it mildly, indeed. So, I bought some factory loads. The brass was TERRIBLE! Every box I would lose several cases to slide splits.

At that point, I dropped using .32 H&R cases and bought several thousand "first nighter" .32 S&W L's (I recently went through this information for this forum). To make a long story short, the .32 S&W L cases worked just fine as I was mostly interested in target loads anyway. Later, when I heard Starline was going to produce cases, I pre-ordered and they delivered almost to the day of when they promised. I have been a Starline fan ( and customer) ever since.

FWIW, I have used several thousand of Hornady HB Wadcutters with good results. I really like the RCBS 98 gr SWC Keith style bullet. I am now using the Group Buy .32 Keith 100 gr SWC and the Group Buy .314" 120 gr. RF bullet. I think that I prefer the GB Keith bullet best of all. The RCBS bullet is just fine but it is only a 2 cavity mould vs the GB six cavity mould.

In the Ruger and S&W 16-4 I can safely exceed the SAAMI pressure limits by a good bit. It is no trick to get 1300 fps with a 100 Keith in a 6" revolver (and 1600 in my TC Carbine (22" barrel). However, I will still mostly be using target level loads (800 fps) as the paper targets that I use don't require much stopping power. :) Further, as a small game round, the Keith style bullet at target velocity is about perfect as a round for edible small game.

Hunting small game with a revolver ranks right up there with quail hunting with a shotgun for a sporting purpose. Especially, when you use your own "CAST BOOLITS"...:Fire:

Dale53

Jon K
01-31-2007, 11:04 PM
maniac,

Yeah, I also remember them, when they first came out, brass was not available, only loaded ammo. I remember buying and taking apart 200 of them, and threw the bullets away.(to load j-xxxxxxx) That was because I bought a 8" 32 H&R barrel for my Merrill.

Back to your question, about the lube, as I recall they had some kind of clear tumble lube on them. Never knew exactly what the lube was.

Have Fun Shooting,
Jon

Billvz
02-01-2007, 12:42 AM
Some of you gentleman say you had Fed. bras split on the first fireing. I bought 6 boxs when I bought my S&W modle 16 & have only lost 2or 3 after 3 or 4 loadings
Some have been reloaded 8 or 9 times & are still going fine. I shoot only my own cast
Boolits over 4.5 gr Unique. I shoot the same in my 32-20.

C A Plater
02-01-2007, 08:13 AM
Of the 2 boxes of red box Federal .32 H&R I bought the lead cases were/are all still fine after a half dozen loadings. The jacketed ones nearly all split of the first couple cylinders full and around two out of five were split before shooting. I just use Starline brass now.

GSM
02-01-2007, 11:27 AM
My experience was the same: No brass when Fed first came out with the 32 loads and the red box jacketed brass was prone to "splitting" (in a Contender it would be 1/2 to 3/4 the length of the brass). If you find some old red box jacketed, look at the rounds first - some may be split at the mouth.

No problems since Starline started making brass.

Harry O
02-01-2007, 11:57 AM
OK, Harry O, let's hear that story!

Specifically, my own measurements showed that taking a 32 H&R to 32-20 wouldn't clean up the H&R chamber - you'd need to move the 32-20 shoulder forward. What was your experience?

Thanks, Mark

You are entirely correct, Mark. The 32-20 rechamber did not completely clean up the .32 Magnum chamber. The 32-20 cases come out after firing looking like a triple-bottleneck. However, that has not been an accuracy problem, so I have ignored it. The form back easily (because the brass is so thin) and they usually split at the mouth first instead of the transition, so it is not a functional problem either.

I use Starline 32-20 brass in it exclusively. It is not that their brass is thicker (it is, particularly near the base, where it is not needed), but the rim is slightly thinner than Winchester or Remington brass. On rare occasions, Rem and Win brass would hang up when trying to move the cylinder double-action. I have never had a problem with that using Starline.

The S&W NewModel 16 in 32-20 is one of the most accurate revolvers I have. My favorite loads in it are 100gr Hornady XTP's with 5.6gr to 5.8gr of SR4756. I also use 5.8gr to 6.0gr of SR4756 with 85gr XTP's. Very accurate and faster than any factory .32 Magnum load.

Harry O
02-01-2007, 02:32 PM
Attached is an article I wrote several years back about my .32 Magnums, called "The Perfect KitGun -- Now in .32 Magnum".

http://www.sixshootercommunity.com/articles/perfect_kitgun.html

Since it was written, I have found a Ruger Single-Six in that caliber. My best luck with cast has been with RCBS 98gr round-nose, flat-point, plain-base bullets at moderate velocities (850fps to 950fps --- on rare occasions, pushing 1,000fps). I have been experimenting with the Lyman 32-20 GC bullet (311316?) for higher velocities (mainly in my Marlin 1894CL in 32-20, but also a little with the .32 Mag Ruger) with mixed luck. Accuracy is not really bad, but it is no where near the accuracy of the lower velocity lead loads or higher velocity jacketed loads.

I size the bullets as large as I can get to fit the chambers, regardless of what the bore/groove size is. With the S&W, the largest bullets I can get into it is 0.312". The Ruger will take 0.313", but I can use the S&W's 0.312" without loss of accuracy. I also have some older Harrington & Richardson's in .32 Long that will take a 0.314" (as cast) without problems. Accuracy is a better at that diameter than with 0.312", but the H&R's will never be as accurate as the S&W or Ruger.

Nueces
02-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Harry O,

Thanks very much for your response. I saved your article to read later (leaving for work soon). I've also been into the 32 H&R since it came out (and the 32 S&W Long for years before that). When I get back from traveling, I'll post some of the loads that have worked for me. They appear to be warmer than others seen here, but my Rugers thrive on 'em.

Later, Mark

Dale53
02-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Harry O;
I really enjoyed your article on the "Perfect Kit Gun" and I have one (S&W 631):mrgreen:. I am 100% with you on the question of "Small Game with a Handgun". In fact, I have said it on this forum more than once[smilie=1:

In my State (Ohio) I can shoot one or two deer (depending on the year and the county) and that means one or two shots. Since I am a shooter even more than I am a hunter, that kind of leaves me feelin' "unfinished". Our small game seasons are relatively long, start in nice weather (squirrel season comes in about Sept 15, more or less) and our bag limits are generous. The shooting is challenging, the meat is good and "What's not to like"? It's kind of like fishing - I am an avid fly fisherman (at least, I have been in the past) and have "hooked up" on as many as twenty 20 lb and larger Salmon in a day. An accomplished fisherman only lands about half of them, but nonetheless, that is a lot of fishing in a day. However, it is just like small game, I really enjoy small stream fishing and I seem to derive more real pleasure catching small mouth bass. Around here, a 16" smallmouth from a small stream is a REALLY good bass. I catch an release with bass (takes too long to grow one to limit him to being caught only once:) ).

I guess all of this just makes me a "small time" guy. Oh well, I shall continue to thoroughly enjoy every outing that the good Lord gives me, but I'll have MANY more opportunities to shoot small game than I could ever imagine (or want) shooting big game. Understand, I have thoroughly enjoyed my big game outings, but I guess it's just the "small boy" in me that gets such a kick out of small game hunting with a handgun.

Dale53

Harry O
02-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Lets see if I can make this photo work. Rechambered S&W NewModel 16 in 32-20 with lasar engraving and a custom grips.

http://gallery.sixshootercommunity.org/albums/userpics/10013/S_W-16.jpg

mainiac
02-01-2007, 09:15 PM
I must be terribly unlucky or something..... when i first bought my ruger 32 mag, i bought 2 boxes of the gray/blue 25 round boxes of federal factory loads,(just to have something to shoot). After starting to load for this little beast,i started using starline brass, and then my brass splitting problems started. The first few lots was terrible,every time loaded,id loose 2-5 more pieces. e-mailed starline and they said for me to cook them in the oven(cant remember the exact recipe). Ive had a few more lots since then, these lasted better, but i still loose quite a few. Full lenth body splits. I shoot the rcbs 98 bullet with a case full of h-4227, shoots amazing! My origanal federal brass is still usable,primer pockets are pretty loose,but ive never lost one to body splits. Will see how this old red federal brass holds up, wish i could buy federal brass. Everybody raves about the starline,but i dont have no luck i guess......

leftiye
02-01-2007, 11:45 PM
Maniac, Do you have oversized chambers?

Jon K
02-02-2007, 01:06 AM
I have to side with Billvz on this one about Federal 32 H&R brass. Maybe those who had lost brass due to failure had large chambers or something.

I have had 3- 32 H&R Mag guns- Merrill, T/C Contender, and Dan Wesson Revolver.
The only brass I lost was brass I forgot to pick up and take home, and brass which I tried to shoot NRA/IHMSA Standing Class loaded w/165 grain bullet. This brass did not split necks, but did head seperate from overloading. You could follow my trail of brass down the line. The gun was a Merrill 10 3/4 barrel.
I cannot say enough about the strength of the Federal Brass. The Dan Wesson used .312 bullets, I loaded the to the point where the primers were starting to crater, then backed off .5 grain, same with the T/C w/95 gr bullet. Now for the Merrill 8" barrel(DO NOT TRY TO DUPLICATE THIS LOAD IN ANY OTHER GUN) the load was 13.5 grains H110, Fed 205, Sierra 110 gr HP. This load is compressed! And the brass did not fail. I originally bought 200 loaded rnds, then added 300 rnds when unprimed brass became available, and yes all were in the red box.
I shot this brass for over 5 years, and today that brass is still going strong, I gave it to a friend who shoots CAS.

Federal Brass weak? NO WAY!

Have Fun Shooting,
Jon

Dale53
02-02-2007, 01:31 AM
Jon K;
After reading the above thread in its entirety, I would have to believe that the early Federal lots of brass were bad. Federal brass in general does not have that reputation, so, apparently they corrected the problem in later runs. Since there is some support for Federal brass in this caliber, I have to conclude that Federal solved the problem.

My brass split in the sides. I don't think I have had a single piece of brass fail from the day I switched to S&W L brass and later Starline. I wasn't overloading the brass, either. Most of the loads were target loads with some Hunter Pistol loads at book level. While I have loaded and fired thousands of loads, very few cases were cycled very many times as I have so much brass that I haven't needed to load a particular case a great number of times.

Dale53

BigSlick
02-02-2007, 01:55 AM
I have shot quite a bit of 32H&R over the years, both factory and reloads.

In my experience, Federal brass in 32H&R has proven to be some of the most brittle, and prone to splitting brass I've encountered in any caliber.

Now I load with Starline, and don't have any splits to speak of. One or two over the last three years or so.

All of the Federal stuff I have fired has been the 85gr HP. I've shot this stuff so long Federal has changed packaging twice. Splits have occurred in about 60% of what I have bought over the years. Going from the 50 round to the 20 round box and dropping the price 10% for ? the ammo was a genius marketing move. I hope they got rich off that one, because I started loading my own in 32 H&R when that happened.

I do have a few Federal brass that has held up, but I have little faith in it and I am too cheap to toss it or give it away. Light loads only for the Federal brass. The pockets are still tight and it seems ductile when loading. I lost count of how many times it has been loaded since it is for light loads only.

I am sure Federal (like most) suffers from the occasional batch of sub par brass. I have just been lucky enough to be at the right time and place with hard earned cash in hand to buy what appears to be a majority of it.

If I could find a batch that wouldn't split, I would be happy as can be. Sadly, I am doubtful with my luck this will ever happen.

I got a couple of boxes of Black Hills ammo for Christmas that I haven't tried yet. I'm hoping it will be some great brass as all of the BHA brass I've used has been.

Small game hunting with the 32H&R is an incredibly enjoyable endeavor. Squirrels, rabbits and possum are ideal. I haven't tried any others, but can safely say anyone who does will probably enjoy it ;)

'Slick
________
JAINISM ADVICE (http://www.religionboard.org/jainism/)

Harry O
02-02-2007, 09:37 AM
I agree with BigSlick and Dale53 that the early Federal brass was sub-par, but they have probably fixed it. I have bought boxes from time to time in recent years and have not had the same problem. I strongly recommend annealing the neck of any batch that seems prone to cracking. It did not completely stop cracking, but it cut it down to a manageable level.

John K: keep in mind that IHMSA is an entirely different setup. I once had a TC 32-20 barrel. It was no more accurate than my 1931 Colt revolver in 32-20 when shooting standard 32-20 loads in it. I talked to some of the guys using it in competition and found out that they were really shooting a wildcat, not a 32-20. What they ended up with was accurate, but the loads they gave me were totally unsuited for any "real" 32-20. The pressure was WAAAAY to high, the bullets were too heavy and pointed, and they were the wrong diameter (due to the 0.308" barrel). Anything learned from IHMSA about these calibers is probably not of use to people who use it for anything else.

Dale52: I will stick to small game hunting (although I don't get to do it very much anymore -- almost everyplace I used to hunt is now developed). The problem with fishing is that you have to be smarter than the fish -- or at least, more patient. That lets me out.

Nueces
02-07-2007, 03:01 PM
OK, back home now. Here are some 32 H&R loads I last tested some time ago:

Loaded using Federal brass, Redding dies, with profile crimper. Revolvers were Ruger SSM, Bisley, SP-101, Dan Wesson 732, Smith 631 Kit Gun.

100gr Bull-X SWC, 0.314 (looks like the GB Keith)

4.0/231 nice plinking load
8.7/2400 accurate, clean and fast. Not for J-frame
10.5/H110 very close to the 8.7/2400 load

120gr Ly3118, 0.313

8.7/2400 max in the Ruger SSM, reduce for regular use

100gr JSP, 0.312

10.5/H110 quite authoritative - would be my standard for J-bullets

Any of these scare anybody?

Mark

Larry Gibson
02-07-2007, 07:02 PM
The last of the old red box Feds 85 gr HPs ran 1038 fps out of my Ruger SS 6 1/2" barrel, 4 of the 12 cases split. The newer Fed 95 gr SWCs run 1024 fps and none of the cases split.

Lyman's 311316GC 118 gr bullet over 4 gr of Unique runs 1020 and is superbly accurate and over 10.5 gr H110 it runs 1174 fps.

Lymans 313631GC (bullet Lyman designed for this cartridge) over 10.5 H110 runs 1275 fps and over 6 gr Unique it runs 1351 fps. Both loads are quite acccurate.

However, my most shot load in the .32 H&R is the Lee TL314-90-SWC (or the Hornady 90 gr swaged bullet) over 3 gr of Bullseye. It is also superbly accurate at 1005 fps.

Larry Gibson

Glen
02-08-2007, 10:41 PM
My experience with Federal .32 H&R ammo has been mainly with the lead SWC stuff, and it was awful. Bullets were .310" and leaded, accuracy was poor (3-4" at 25 yards), and velocities were only about 1000 fps. I've shot some of the 85 grain jacketed stuff, but I don't recall any problems with it (or any velocity data). My ammo was on the red and white boxes, but it must have been some more recent stuff, as the brass has worked just fine for me (no splitting).

My favorite .32 H&G load is the Ideal 31133 HP over 6.5 grains of Acc. Arms #7 for 1100 fps. Very accurate and does a fine job on rodents.

My favorite jacketed load (for those rare instances when I actually shoot jacketed bullets) I like the Hornady 85 grain HP over 5.0 grains of Unique for about 1300 fps. Fine rodent shredder!

BigSlick
02-08-2007, 11:10 PM
Does any mfr even offer a 32 H&R in their lineup any more ?

I've been getting the itch to get something besides the J frame and the current Rugers I've looked at (very few) don't jazz me. Older ones certainly do, but I rarely see any of those available.

Just looking for a plinker, not an heirloom or pedigree.
________
LovelyWendie (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

Dale53
02-09-2007, 01:03 AM
BigSlick;
Trying to find a current manufacturer of .32 H&R Mags is an exercise in frustration. However, Ruger has recently offered the Single Six and Bisley SS in both stainless and blued (last few years). I would suggest that you haunt the gun shows in your area for a good used one. I wouldn't mind a Bisley to add to my collection, myself (6.5" barrel). I recently bought an "as new" Ruger SP101 4" stainless in .32 Magnum. I really like the size (small, compact but super strong). It needed a trigger job but we have a really good pistolsmith that is also reasonably priced. He solved my trigger problem post haste.

The SP101 has a major problem. It's rear sight is only adjustable for windage. I stewed around about that fact for a few weeks. However, I REALLY like this revolver. I am getting a bit "old in the tooth" and my vision with iron sights leaves a lot to be desired. I have decided to have an Ultra Dot sight installed. It is a bit bulky but much less than a scope and will solve both my vision problems as well as the sight adjustment problems. As we speak the Sp101 is at the pistolsmith's shop and I am counting the days until it is returned to my hot little hands.:).

In the meantime, I will "make do" with my 631, 16-4, and TC-SSK[smilie=1: . Life is GOOD!:drinks:

Dale53

9.3X62AL
02-09-2007, 01:40 AM
Late arrival here......my Federal factory loads were both of jacketed and lead type, and I still have about 135 of the 150 pieces in service--since 1985. They have been fired 3x-4x every year since that time, you can do the math as well as I can. I've lost most due to mouth splits (about time, I'd say), I don't think any did the sidewall split trick (yet). Most of the loads have been cast RCBS SWCs, from 800-1000 FPS. I got 200 Starline cases last year, they are on their 5th re-stuff without a problem of any kind. Sooner or later, those Federal hulls will just disintegrate.

My S&W Model 16-4 x 6" is without doubt the most accurate handgun I've ever owned. I don't think it has ever seen a factory load. Its predecessor was a Ruger SSM x 5.5", and it was no slouch accuracy-wise, either. Another run of the Model 631 (adjustable sights) and Model 16-4 wouldn't hurt my feelings any. The 16-4 should have a swap cylinder in 32-20 factory fitted.

Nueces
02-09-2007, 01:24 PM
I've posted before that I traded my two 16-4s because they both slugged over 0.315. I also did not like the heavy, full under lugs. But, every time I hear about y'all's guns being so accurate, I feel a twang of regret. There was a special-ordered factory 16 on one of the auction sites a while ago, with a 6" barrel shaped like a M-19 tube - no lug. New in the box, for $900. Didn't sell. Wouldn't that be the berries, with a 32-20 cylinder?

Mark

9.3X62AL
02-09-2007, 02:55 PM
I'm kinda surprised that no one snagged the revolver you describe, Nueces. The underlug on a K-32 is superfluous, either the classic K-32 exposed ejector or the Model 19 enclosure would be fine with me. I do have a pre-war M&P in 32-20, so it's not like I'm doing without one......but a 6" with target sights would be very cool.

Harry O
02-09-2007, 08:27 PM
I've posted before that I traded my two 16-4s because they both slugged over 0.315.

Mark

I have never slugged the bores of my .32 Magnums. When they shoot alright, I don't bother. I only slug a gun when it sprays loads and I need to find out what is wrong.

9.3X62AL
02-09-2007, 08:35 PM
Mine is maybe a little wide--.313" throats, .312" groove. 32 S&W Long "ideal" specs are supposedly .311", but by having the ability to control dimensions--nominal diameters don't mean much to me.

The "original" H&R revolvers chambered in 32 Magnum had kinda fat charge holes, IIRC. This was something I read, so it's not first-hand info. Its source may have been Ken Waters in "Handloader", but I'm uncertain about that.

All this discussion of the 32 Magnum got me prompted to look at the Ruger website earlier today. Yes, they still show that 4" fixed-sight SP-101. You guys cost me so much money........

Nueces
02-09-2007, 10:09 PM
Al, I was sorta surprised no one got that 16, too. Had I been able to handle it and measure it, I may have been the one to get it. I'm surprised that your 16 is so nice and tight. Many of my Smiths have been pretty loose-throated.

Harry O, I was a bit unclear, I guess. I meant to convey that my M-16 cylinder throats came in at over 0.315, and not all the same. At that time, I was not able to cast, and commercial slugs of sufficient diameter were hard for me to get. Not being able to afford to keep everything, I kicked the Smiths out of the crib.

Now,my Ruger SSM measures 0.3137 for all six. Fortunately, these numbers are quick and easy to get, with a Starrett dial bore gauge. I can also detect out-of-round chambers, not as uncommon as I'd like to see. I measure all my revolvers in this way, so I can choose boolit diameters. Plus, it's fun and satisfying to know what's going on.

Mark

BigSlick
02-10-2007, 12:41 AM
All this discussion of the 32 Magnum got me prompted to look at the Ruger website earlier today. Yes, they still show that 4" fixed-sight SP-101. You guys cost me so much money........

Oh MY ! Thank you Deputy.

Ruger does have a sexy little 3" on their website. Adjustable rear sight.

Lemme see... I got molds... I have a little brass... I have a tad of powder... I already have the dies... I'm liking the idea of not hunting down my brass...

I'm in trouble on this one. http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=5748&return=Y

OK somone tell me more about making an SP101 shoot. I've read a few comments about Rugers needing a little work to be just right. What am I looking at, other than the reason I will be broke again next month.

I like it :mrgreen:

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/images/Products/290L.jpg
________
GM FOODS (http://gmfoods.info/)

Dale53
02-10-2007, 01:26 AM
My Ruger SP101 4" shoots just fine. I size my bullets at .313". The Ruger will probably need a spring kit (Wolfe) and a little light stone work on the sear. I also put a set of Uncle Mike's grips on it (my hands are rather large).

I REALLY like this revolver. It is a quality job in most every way except the rear sight is only adjustable for windage. However, if you do what I did (have an Ultra Dot mounted) that is immaterial.

It's just too hard for me to see iron sights any more. I am fortunate, tho', that I can still do good work with a scope or red dot.

Good luck to you, Big Slick, you won't be sorry for this acquisition.

Dale53

BigSlick
02-10-2007, 02:59 AM
I just might :mrgreen:

I already checked with my local dealer (on the speed dial :drinks: ). He has a 3" and a 4" in stock. I'll get to check them out up close and personal on Tuesday since he's working a show this weekend.

Since I have been pestering you fine folks here at castboolits, I have gone off the deep end. Deeper than ever before in almost 40 years of shooting.

I think finally getting the 500SW to shoot bullets I cast without a hint of leading (thanks Deputy Al for all the help with that one), I am at a point where my shooting interests are changing (again).

I've done the rimfire thing, the full auto thing, the shotgun thing, the semi auto thing and other various adventures, but always shyed away from shooting revolvers. I always thought they were for old guys who lacked style ;)

Well, I have to tell ya, I am in the process of beginning to understand just how wrong I have been. Ferrari's are nice, but they ain't a 57 Chevy on their best day.

Now, I like the idea of not chasing brass all over the place. I like making my own bullets (even though I'm still a newbie) and finally starting to foster the interest in revolvers has been more enjoyable than I can express. Lot's of great specimens available for reasonable prices, a whole new world of performance and I can integrate it all into my tinkering and reloading addictions.

I am learning more about shooting now than ever before, after all these years. Not turning into a ballistician or metallurgist of course, but I think now I am learning to enjoy shooting more than ever before.

I will probably never come close to the experience you guys have, but getting a better understanding of shooting and finding a boatload of new options to play with has me ready to giggle like a school girl at the drop of a hat.

Thanks for the first hand info on the SP101. I will definitely look into mounting the Millett red dot on it. I like the red dot on the rimfire a lot and having one on this gun will be a hoot. If you happen to get a chance, I would love to see a couple of pics of yours to give me an idea of what to expect.

I might end up putting a fiber optic on front. I use them on other stuff and like them a lot. Gemini has some for the SP101

http://www.geminicustoms.com/Small%20Wonder.htm

So, yeah... the Ruger is probably something I'll regret, because I'll probably put something else on the back burner until I can get it to shoot. In a couple of weeks or so, that something will be the .460 Smith :mrgreen:
________
YENKO CHEVROLET HISTORY (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Yenko_Chevrolet)

Dale53
02-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Big Slick;
I went through the "power" trip and have several .44 magnums and a TC pistol in .375 JDJ (that is real power!) but it is amazing that what I want to shoot these days is the .32 H&R (along with .32 S&W L loads). It is SO much more pleasurable to shoot and after all, fun is what it is all about. Not knocking anyone's desire to have the biggest and "bestest" around, you understand, but the little feller's are just more fun for me these days.

It'll be sometime before I can show you a picture of my SP101 with the Dot Sight. It is still at the pistolsmith's shop. I am TRYING to be patient but it IS hard...
I have a great pistolsmith, but he has been extremely busy of late. He'll get it to me as soon as he can. THEN, I'll post a picture of the outfit.

In the meantime, I am casting and loading. I WILL be ready when it gets here.

By the way, there are far more fellows and gals, here, that have SP101's than have responded. All of the comments have been positive.

Dale53

Nueces
02-10-2007, 01:04 PM
BigSlick, great post! It's easy to share your excitement. I look forward to hearing about your wheelgun adventures. :drinks:

Dale53, again, we're together on the Sp-101 32. I have 1.5 of 'em. The three-inch is on permanent 'loan' to a buddy and my four-inch is new and unfired. These little beauties are tight all around, zero cylinder play when locked up and all 6 throats go 0.3113. I've been playing with some ideas: S&W kitgun rear sight, machine the barrel for balance and appearance, stuff like that. The cylinder is long enough for CBs in a 32-20. I share BigSlick's glee just thinking of the possibilities. :-D

Mark

leftiye
02-10-2007, 03:29 PM
Big Slick, It might be maturity (please take that as a compliment) catching up with you. In every generation there are shooters of unimagineable stature. Look at Pope in the 1890s, and Niedner in the early 1900s (I could go on forever). There also comes a time when you develop a consciousness of what the various calibers, and types of guns are good for. Can't shoot clay pigeons at 700 yds. with an M16. But it does get to be more fun once you arrive at this perception.

BAGTIC
02-18-2007, 01:36 AM
I have several .32 magnum revolvers. The first was a six inch H&R, can't remember the model number. I shoot it with unsized 98 grain SAECO SWC that actually weigh 104 grains from WW. They measure .314-.315. I load them with Blue Dot to 1200 fps (chronographed) with only 8 fps deviation. I am a firm believer in using the largest diameter bullet that will chamber and not depending on obduration. Let the bore do the sizing.I also have a Ruger 101 and a S&W 631.

I too had problems with early Federal cases but not with splits. My problem was loose primer pockets. After switching to Starline brass I have not had any more problems.

I am a great fan of the .32's. I also have some Rossi and Taurus. I believe .32's are still available in Europe and South America.

leftiye
02-18-2007, 02:52 AM
Anybody got an extra 32 cal 6" bbl. for a K frame Smith?

Phil
02-18-2007, 10:17 AM
The most wonderful thing about revolvers is that you don't have to bend down or stoop to pick up the brass. As you get older and stiffer it really makes a difference. But then, I have no idea why I liked to shoot them when I was much younger and COULD bend over to pick up the brass. Then again, at todays prices about the only caliber auto I could afford to shoot would be the 9mm because I wouldn't have to pick up the brass.

Never fired a factory 32 Mag round, never fired anything but Starline brass and never lost a case due to splits or loose primer pockets. Heck, I'm still shooting some REM-UMC 38 Spl brass that I got back in the fifties. It is starting to give some mouth splits though so it may be time to retire it.

The little Ruger SP101 looks nice, I'd like to have one in 3". I love the S&W 4". My favorite revolvers (which I FOOLISHLY sold) were a S&W M65 3" and 624 4". Wish I had those two back.

Cheers,

Phil

Dale53
02-18-2007, 01:12 PM
Phil;
>>>The most wonderful thing about revolvers is that you don't have to bend down or stoop to pick up the brass.<<<

This gave me a bit of a "giggle". I was at the range a couple of days ago (indoor range) and I was "yanking my buddies chain" about him having to pick up those brass his auto had "flung all over the place". I have a serious history with autos and it is a good history. However, I much prefer to shoot revolvers when I am just having fun. I HATE picking up brass!

Guess what. My buddy has seen the light and just bought a couple of revolvers. Shoot!! I won't be able to rag him about that in the future...[smilie=1:

Dale53

Navahojoe
02-18-2007, 09:10 PM
Dale 53 and Phil,

For what it is worth, I am with you on not picking up brass. I went the route with autos, from the auto shotguns and Colt .45 ACP, and Ruger's in 22, 9mm, Sigs in 9 mm and Glock in .40 Cal., Brownings, Berettas and the list goes on and on. One day, about two years ago, I was at the local gun shop, been knowing the owner for 25 + years,and picked up a SRH Ruger in .44Mag to look at.. .. I test fired it on the gun shop firing range and was hooked. No brass to pick up! Disposed of all my autos except for a Mark II Ruger and a .32 Tomcat. No brass to pick up with the .22 Mark II and the .32 Tomcat is my back up, doesn't get shot very often, just enough to keep my hand in, and I don't reload for it. Gave my Colt .45 ACP to my nephew, who , after having seen it shoot, had been coveting it for the last 5 years. Yes, I know, but he is a good Guy. He couldn't afford to buy it and I couldn't shoot all the pistols that I owned ,so.... No more brass to pick up. BTW, I have been looking for a Ruger Single Six in .32 HR Mag. Always thought I would like to own one. The Gun shop owner mentioned above and my next door neighbor,who is a gunsmith for the local Gander Mountain, are looking for me.

regards,
NavahoJoe

Dale53
02-19-2007, 12:42 AM
Navahojoe;
Good luck in your quest for a Ruger .32 Mag. There are quite a few of them around and with a bit of patience you should be able to come up with one.

Dale53

mainiac
02-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Know what its like wanting a single-six .32, wanted one forever (well at least 3-4 years) and finally found one a few years ago. Ive shot the thing so much! After many thousands of rounds,she just keeps humming the same tune.I shoot a case full of h-4227 with either rcbs 98 or lyman 311316, stiff loads,but the little ruger eats them up,no loosness anywear,only a terrible cylinder ring. Been thinking of the marlin rifle in this .32 mag, been trying to convinse myself that i dont need it, but im afraid one of these days,ill cave in!

Navahojoe
02-19-2007, 08:42 PM
thinking of the marlin rifle in this .32 mag, been trying to convinse myself that i dont need it, but im afraid one of these days,ill cave in!

Feel your pain

regards,
NavahoJoe

longhorn
02-19-2007, 11:12 PM
I have to mention this--that 10.5 gr of H110 + 118gr bullet load is the only one (so faar!) that required me to disassemble the gun to get the brass out. First six shot great--the rest got the bullets pulled. Single Six and a great shooter-but not suited to that load.

Dale53
02-20-2007, 01:49 AM
We (yeah, me too:( ) have a tendency to forget that a measly little 18 grs represent an 18% increase in bullet weight with a correspondent increase in pressure.

Lots of people, including people with pressure gear, have highly touted 10.0 grs of
H-110 with a 100 gr bullet. A feller wouldn't think that 18 grs would make that much difference.

My "faster load" is 9.5 WC 820 (old slow lot) with a 120 gr GB RF bullet for 1100 fps in my 16-4 6" S&W. I stopped there because I also use that load in my S&W 631 and it is not nearly as strong a revolver as the 16, or a Ruger SS or SP101. I have actually gone to 10.5 and believe that it is just a bit too much of a good thing. Definite pressure signs and an earsplitting blast. They do eject easily without a problem but I really don't need to stress the revolvers any more than necessary for what I need them for.

I got caught by the weather and didn't YET get a chance to chronograph my Lee .314" Keith 100 gr SWC. I'll probably end up with a max of 10.0 grs of WC 820 for something like 1200-1300 fps for a "faster load" (don't like the word "Maximum"[smilie=1: ).

By far my most fired loads in the .32's are target loads. They will stop a charging paper target in its tracks:-D :-D.

Dale53

Harry O
02-20-2007, 05:27 PM
I have settled on 7.5gr of 2400 with an 85gr Hornady XTP for my Ruger Single-Six. I tried 8.5gr like has been published and could not get the brass out. Also tried 8.0gr like has been published in a lot of places. About half came out easily and the other half took varying amounts of pounding. No extraction problems with the 7.5gr (if I manage to get the slot lined up with the rim anyway). That Ruger is one tough little gun.

I would NEVER try even the 7.5gr load in my S&W 631. I will stick with factory loads or equivalent with that one. Lead bullets I cast myself and either moderate amounts of WW231 or Unique.