PDA

View Full Version : XS Sight Systems on my marlin 30-30

Beagler
09-10-2011, 03:46 PM
Couple weeks ago installed The peep/ghost ring sights on my Marlin 336w 30-30. These sights a great!!! Wish I would of put them on sooner! Nice big field of view and really quick target acquisition. Benched it at fifty yards moved it two inches to right. Locked all the screws down and put 20 rounds in a two inch black dot. Shooting the 165 grain Ranch Dog. Cant wait to wack something

Okie2
09-10-2011, 06:37 PM
I have the same sights on a Winnie 94 .357...these old eyes love them...really nice front white blade. Super solid. 1+ on these!

PacMan
09-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Some of the best out there are not as good as the XS.

Beagler
09-10-2011, 08:22 PM
After I got it zero'd I shot a couple of the Ranch Dogs through the CHRONY using 27 grains of H335 and averaged just a bit over 1900fps. Got my hunting load!!!

W.R.Buchanan
09-10-2011, 08:49 PM
I have several sets of XS sights. My Mini14 and Gunsite Scout both have them, but they don't have the white lines.

But the guns they work best with are the Marlin Rifles.

My .44 rifle has the white line XS Front sight and a Williams Rear. The XS rears are good and rugged sights, but the front sight is what makes the whole show work.

Easiest sight to pick up I've ever used. I am either going to put them on all of my leverguns or I might make something a little longer with the white line on the back side.

I did this with my SBH Bisley's front sight, which is a Weigand with interchangable blades. I cut a slot in the back face and filled it with white paint.

Best pistol sight ever. IMHO of course.

You just put the top of the white line on what you want to hit, and let fly!

That Ashley Emerson guy sure came up with a goodun'.

Randy

Beagler
09-10-2011, 09:16 PM
I got hooked on peep/ghost sights since my Mossberg 590 and the M1A/M-14 I used to have

Tatume
09-11-2011, 07:11 AM
I have XS Sights on a Savage 99 (308) and Ruger No. 1 (9.3x74R). Also have the XS Sights front sight on a Winchester High Wall (45-70) and Marlin Guide Gun (45-70), with Williams receiver rear sight. I agree, the XS Sights are wonderful!

Take care, Tom

FergusonTO35
11-27-2013, 04:36 PM
I'm thinking about putting a set of XS sights on my 336 Texan. I see that these have much larger aperture than most other receiver sights do. Is that going to affect accuracy a huge amount? I'm shooting around 2" or so at 100 yards with the current Williams 5D rear that wears an aperture one size larger than standard and the factory front bead sight.

W.R.Buchanan
11-27-2013, 08:05 PM
It will off the bench, but it is doubtful that you would see a difference in real world shooting or under time pressure. Your eye automatically centers the front sight in the rear aperture. It does this regardless of the size of the hole you are looking thru.

However the size of the aperture does affect how much light comes thru, and that affects how well you can focus on the front sight. IN low light (like in a hunting situation) more is better.

Also there is one Aperture that XS makes that works in it's rear sights that has 7/32-40 threads in it so you can screw in a regular Williams Aperture with whatever size hole in it you want. That way you can have a small aperture for sighting in off the bench and then a ghost ring for hunting.

Here's a pic of mine screwed into the Scout Rail on My Ruger GSR. Note: the Williams aperture in place.

Having a prominent front sight that you can pick up easily in lo light or against a dark background is also a big help. I like the XS front sight blades with the white vertical line, they are easy to see in just about all light conditions.

Randy

FergusonTO35
11-27-2013, 09:47 PM
Nice, I'll have to get a set.

Lefty SRH
11-27-2013, 10:49 PM
I have XS front blades on my Ruger no1 and my Marlin 35 Remmy. The rears are other brands.

CLAYPOOL
11-27-2013, 11:22 PM
It took me over 2 - 3 years to get the X -S rail with those sights to put it all together. I had read the article , "Brian Peirce" (sp) wrote on one of those short barreled "Bellow" Marlin guide guns. He had went Bear hunting + busted a couple of ribs in the story. Well I liked what the Gun had on it. I didn't need a million dollar scope, so its a Burris 3 x9. But those sights are very impressive to say the least. As my eyes had aged since Jack Benny (39) I have installed glass on all my Rifles. Waiting for Remington to get settled down to look for a Large Loop lever. May give Brownell's the order instead.

pipehand
11-28-2013, 12:02 PM
I have a 336 and an 1895 set up with the LeverRail, and 3 other guns with the XS White Stripe front sight with Williams and Lyman aperature sights. Have 2 AR's with the replacement white stripe front/same plane rear aperature packages. Definitely an XS fan.

Ramjet-SS
11-29-2013, 09:10 PM
They are nice sights easy acquisition and durable. I have come really like the green lite fiber optic front sites I find them faster to acquire and love round in round. Post is Ok but found same sighting system for all my rifles it is easier to transition from rifle to rifle.

I have green fiber optic front with Skinner rear on my Henry rifles that do not have scopes the Custom GNR has the XS rear and front for back up but wears a XS scout scope mount and a Leupold 2.5x Scout Scope.