PDA

View Full Version : Dacron filler

gunnut14
09-10-2011, 12:43 PM
I have been using some dacron I bought at a sewing store.
kinda rough and springy.Seems to work good.
Wife wanted to change the pillows and when I looked at the old ones they say dacron filled.
Was gonna put them in the trash bin any way so cut one open.
the Dacron is very fine and a lot more dense than what I have been using.

Ok to use?
If so have several lifetimes of dacron in just one pillow.
Anyone used it before? Best to bin it and stay with the rougher type?

gunnut14

largom
09-10-2011, 01:06 PM
If your new dacron "works good" I would not change. We use such a small amount that the cost is almost nothing. However you could run a test between the two and see if there is a difference. The dacron in your pillows could have been mashed down and refluffed so many times that it has started to loose it's springy effect.

Larry

Roundnoser
09-10-2011, 01:14 PM
Wife wanted to change the pillows and when I looked at the old ones they say dacron filled.
Was gonna put them in the trash bin any way so cut one open.

Ok to use?

gunnut14

Gunnut14,

I have some Havelina Dacron filler that was supplied as part of a bullet lube package many years ago (back in the 50 - 60 ?). I'm guessing that the Dacron, which was a new item back then was all the rage for filler.

Anyway, I have a small box of it that I will never use. If you want it to compare with what you are using, send me a PM with your address and I'll ship it to you.

Larry Gibson
09-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Read this "Sticky", it will answer your questions.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=109280

Larry Gibson

gunnut14
09-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Oh well into the trash.
Will buy more of what I know works rather than have a problem.

gunnut14

Larry Gibson
09-10-2011, 05:28 PM
Oh well into the trash.
Will buy more of what I know works rather than have a problem.

gunnut14

Why? Dacron works fine.....???

Larry Gibson

swheeler
09-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Wife wanted to change the pillows and when I looked at the old ones they say dacron filled.Was gonna put them in the trash bin any way so cut one open.

Ok to use?

gunnut14

Waste not, want not! Use it

Multigunner
09-16-2011, 09:30 PM
The rougher dacron sounds like the synthetic "hair pad" that we used in upholstering.
If the hair pad has no grit caught up in it this makes for a good cleaning patch. effect is midway between a cloth patch and a bronze bristle brush.

mroliver77
09-22-2011, 11:27 AM
The finer stuff is what I mostly use. The coarse is sometimes found in different applications and for me is harder to get stuffed in a case. I believe them to be made from the same material but in differing size of "hairs". I have run across some batting that was extra fine and had some lumpy clumpy texture to it. It seems to be in cheapo pillows. It did however work OK. I have seen the stuff Multigunner calls hair pad. It is very coarse! I have never used it but like the patch idea.

If you read up on the subject, shooters have used all manner of fluffy material as filler. Cotton, milkweed, kapok, dryer lint, toilet paper, hair, Dacron etc. I even read where a shooter died, was cremated and has ashes loaded and shot at the range! What a way to go out!

You never know without testing. I look to Larry as the resident "expert" on Dacron filler as he has done much structured documented testing with it.
Jay

1Shirt
10-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Yep, agree with Larry. I have used dacron filler for more years than I can remember. With slower burning powders that fill less than half a case, I consider in a must for accuracy(but that's just me!
1Shirt!:coffee:

303Guy
10-08-2011, 04:28 PM
I even read where a shooter died, was cremated and has ashes loaded and shot at the range! What a way to go out!I was at such a ceremony. The fellow's ash was shot out a BP cannon. Way to go!

1Shirt
10-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Can agree with 303 guy. I read someplace about a former wife who got the ashes of her former spouse, and made a point of flushing them down the toilet. Now that's just plain wrong!

303Guy
10-11-2011, 03:00 AM
... a former wife who got the ashes of her former spouse, and made a point of flushing them down the toilet. Now that's just plain wrong!Bummer!

adrians
10-11-2011, 07:13 AM
Can agree with 303 guy. I read someplace about a former wife who got the ashes of her former spouse, and made a point of flushing them down the toilet. Now that's just plain wrong!

that has to be the final insult!!!
she definitely got in the last word..
or maybe he was a plumber by trade and it was his last wish[smilie=b:
anyway you look at it it still stinks(sorry ,had to say it!):twisted:[smilie=l::evil:

pete501
11-08-2012, 03:34 PM
Used pillows most likely contain Dust Mites which may feed on the powder thus breaking down the chemical make up. Also they will breed and increase in numbers leading to increase pressures. Its somthing to think about (lol)

madsenshooter
11-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Yea, but not for a long time.

1Shirt
11-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Larry Gibson's write up on the subject is about as good as it gets!
1Shirt!

uscra112
11-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Given that kapok is easy to get, I will opine that Dacron, which easily melts into a gooey mess that fouls barrels and cases, and has been shown to cause ringing, is not worth the risk. Been there, done that, spent hours getting my Marlin cleaned out, and had to scrap a dozen .35 Rem cases. Never again. Bought a fat bag of kapok on eBay for about fifteen bucks. Use it over Bullseye in .35 Rem roundball loads. There is no residue after firing, but in the right light I have seen a small cloud of fibers ejected from the muzzle.

mroliver77
11-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Given that kapok is easy to get, I will opine that Dacron, which easily melts into a gooey mess that fouls barrels and cases, is worth the risk. Been there, done that, spent hours getting my Marlin cleaned out, and had to scrap a dozen .35 Rem cases. Never again. Bought a fat bag of kapok on eBay for about fifteen bucks. Use it over Bullseye in .35 Rem roundball loads. There is no residue after firing, but in the right light I have seen a small cloud of fibers ejected from the muzzle.

Odd!

I have shot quite a few dacron filled rounds and have never found any fouling such as you report. I am not calling you a liar or anything but I have never witnessed it. I have used all kinds of dacron, plastic, meal and fibers from wimp loads to smokers with never a problem in regards to fouling.

I have experienced cleaner barrels from using filler.

I try to keep an open mind in these matters.
Jay

Wally
11-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Odd!

I have shot quite a few dacron filled rounds and have never found any fouling such as you report. I am not calling you a liar or anything but I have never witnessed it. I have used all kinds of dacron, plastic, meal and fibers from wimp loads to smokers with never a problem in regards to fouling.

I have experienced cleaner barrels from using filler.

I try to keep an open mind in these matters.
Jay

Same here--I have used it in many calibers... It should not be packed tight--place in the case loose with plenty of "fluf" and all will be well.

I like it especially in the .45 Colt and the .38 Spl when using the Lee 105 SWC bullet, as well as in the .45-70.

Buckshot
11-16-2012, 03:02 AM
http://www.fototime.com/646D73771600BBF/standard.jpg

..............I was cleaning out one of my rifle notebooks, this one for my Uberti Hi-Wall repo in 38-55. The original worthless barrel (which shot the 2 groups above) was replaced under warranty and I was ridding the notebook of useless stuff shot with the old barrel.

The lower group which is a heckuva lot better then the upper simply had dacron added. However it's not very shiny in itself. Dacron doesn't ALWAYS make an improvement, but 95% of the time it does :-)

...............Buckshot

HARRYMPOPE
11-16-2012, 03:22 AM
i haven't found a need for it and argued against it.My theory is if you need to use it to to get accuracy then you are using the wrong powder.BUT...A buddies 7.62 x 54 with 17g of 2400 shoots much much better with it.So i am wrong at least once on the subject

Larry Gibson
11-16-2012, 12:13 PM
As I state in my post on the "filler" thread/sticky; there is always a need for a dacron filler and it doesn't always provide an improvment. However, with the appropriate cartridge/powder/load density/cast bullet weight combinations it does usually make a significant improvement. Thus I usually use the dacron filler with such combinations as a matter of course. With rare exception I have been thoroughly satisfied with the results.

Larry Gibson

Hamish
11-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Not the final word for me on filler use, but I have stopped since finding a hard ball of filler inside a case when trying to pop the primer. Apparently the powder burned *around* the filler.

(7.65x54; 15gr. 10b101)