PDA

View Full Version : Muriatic Acid Test...

Naga
09-09-2011, 10:45 PM
I have an alloy that I thought might have been contaminated with zinc. I discovered some muriatic acid in the basement, so I decided to try the muriatic acid test on a bit of the alloy. I put some in a glass cup, spilling a bit on the concrete floor in the process. It immediately began to fizz and bubble and turn yellow upon contact with the concrete, so I know it is working. I dropped a bullet cast from the aforementioned alloy in the cup, and watched it for a few minutes, and nothing happened. I went away and came back about 20 minutes later, and discovered a fine stream of small bubbles rising from the bullet to the surface of the acid. The bubbles burst and didn't form any sort of froth on the surface. I poured out the acid and checked the bullet, and aside from a bit of darkening in color, it was unchanged. There was no green foam present, as I have read will happen when muriatic acid comes into contact with zinc. Was the acid reacting to something else in the alloy, or is zinc present?

darkroommike
09-10-2011, 02:12 AM
I'm just starting to figure this out myself, so I'm not claiming to be an expert, but if your bullets cast well, filled out, with nice sharp lube grooves you probably don't have zinc contamination or little enough zinc that it doesn't matter. If your bullets look good, shoot good and don't lead your bore you're good to go.

GP100man
09-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Go to a tire store & get a zinc weight & perform ya test .

Outside & on the ground , wear appropriate safety attire !!!

Clean paint off if painted .

I just put a drop on suspect alloy if it dances zinc is present , if it does`nt it gets the ok .