PDA

View Full Version : electra

flounderman
09-09-2011, 07:30 PM
I just ordered a cva electra. has anyone had any experience with them? sportsmans guide had one for 208.00 with a stainless barrel and the camo stock. I have a 9 volt battery, most of a can of fff that is probably 25 years old, a handfull of 250 gr jacketed 45 bullets and some 235 cast commercial bullets. I remember having some sabots, once but can't find them. I'm thinking about trying to paper patch the 45s. the barrel is a 50. anybody pp a 45 pistol bullet for a 50 and how much powder?

ss40_70
09-09-2011, 08:27 PM
ive never even seen one , but i'd like to find out how it works for you ... far as your bullets go i would likely guess that patchin them all the way up to .50 probly isnt goin to work so well , consider buying one of the lee real bullet molds to get yourself started itll cost ya about the same as a box of store bought sabots and likely shoot just as well , and that lone can of fffg will disapear quickly , for plinkin i'd start the charge at 60 grains an work up till you find what it likes

Omnivore
09-09-2011, 09:19 PM
.45 to .50 - that's a required paper thickness of around .025". That's five thicknesses of presentation paper or at least eight layers of regular notebook paper, for example. I dunno - maybe better to get the sabots designed for the purpose, to use up the bullets you have. Otherwise ditto on the boolit mold idea.

Never tried one, but I think the Electra is a cool idea, if for no other reason than for its incongruity. An electronic muzzleloader - kind of like having a horse and buggy with electric windows, keyless entry, GPS and a DVD player with big flatscreen. What's not to like?

Some states' hunting regs don't allow electronics of any kind on the rifle, which might could be an issue if you're thinking of hunting with it.

Yeah I'd say 50 or 60 grains of the 3F is a good place to start. Might also try some slightly heavier charges of 2F as starting loads and see what shoots best.

Let us know how it works out. I'm curious.

bigdog454
09-10-2011, 10:32 AM
You have to consider that in cold weather, ie. when you are hunting, batteries lose their power. Now I don't know if all batteries do that, but I have had occasion to have batteries lose their power when hunting at 15 deg F.
BD

tomme boy
09-10-2011, 12:03 PM
Check your state laws before using it for hunting if that is your plan. Here it is not legal as a muzzleloader.

flounderman
09-10-2011, 08:43 PM
legal in north carolina and virginia, the two states I will most likely be hunting in.

calaloo
09-11-2011, 08:03 AM
Battery fired muzzle loaders! Next thing you know they'll figure out how to make a one piece cartridge.

Geraldo
09-11-2011, 10:18 AM
They are discontinued, so I don't know how much service you'll get if it goes TU. Mike Bellm's site he's got a page about them, so they generated some interest before they got DCed.

Fly
09-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Well the problem I see you are going to have with comments, is someone who
has had one.People always comment about something they never owned, but
read some where good or bad.

Take that into account on what is said
Fly

flounderman
09-16-2011, 06:05 PM
I haven't shot it yet but I don't see a problem with the design. the original price was 500 or so and that might have been the biggest problem. I cast 280 lee bullets, and developed a lube, mounted a k4 on it, and just got home with some pyrodex. it says 120 grains is the maximum recommended load. I don't understand the volume measure instead of the weight. I'm going to ask on another post. somebody can probably explain it to me. it does say clean the face of the breech plug with the enclosed brush after 5 or so shots. the firing mechanisim is like a spark plug in the breech plug. that may be a problem if you don't keep it clean.

Fly
09-18-2011, 04:39 PM
What volt battery doe's that thing take?
Fly