PDA

View Full Version : WW Score

odinohi
09-09-2011, 05:23 PM
I was at a tire shop asking about ww's (I did get a bucket full), there was a slicked up guy waiting to talk to the owner. He asked me what I used them for. After I told him he said he had a bunch of them. Here this guy is a supplier for tire shops and when New York state outlawed lead ww's all of the lead ww's went back to him. I ended up with all the open boxes and smashed boxes that couldnt be resold. About 270lbs. I'm gonna take those to a tire shop that I frequent and make a trade for 8 FULL 5 gallon buckets of used ww's. Think I did OK?

rockrat
09-09-2011, 07:46 PM
I don't know. Think about it. What percentage of the 5 gal buckets will be actual lead ww's. Then you will have to sort them and dispose of the residue. 8 buckets might give you 1000lbs, but if only 50% are ww's,,you are down to 500 lbs and time involved in sorting. I haven't bought buckets of ww's in a few years, so can't tell you what the ratios are for lead/junk
Its your call, in the end.

You got a good score on ww's

meak99
09-09-2011, 07:46 PM
No, you didn't do OK..... it's yer lucky day!

bumpo628
09-09-2011, 11:16 PM
I would keep the new weights and buy the 8 buckets of used weights.
The only lead that leaves my possession is in small high-velocity packages.

cbrick
09-09-2011, 11:39 PM
I would keep the 270 pounds of new weights and come up with another way to get the 8 buckets and have all of it. Buying the 8 buckets comes to mind. Won't be long before every state has a ban on lead weights, get as far ahead of the game as possible as soon as possible.

Rick

odinohi
09-10-2011, 11:08 AM
I don't know. Think about it. What percentage of the 5 gal buckets will be actual lead ww's. Then you will have to sort them and dispose of the residue. 8 buckets might give you 1000lbs, but if only 50% are ww's,,you are down to 500 lbs and time involved in sorting. I haven't bought buckets of ww's in a few years, so can't tell you what the ratios are for lead/junk
Its your call, in the end.

You got a good score on ww's

I think its more important to get close to this tire dealer. He fills up a 5 gallon bucket of old ww's in 2 weeks. The ratio has been around 80% for me. After a while these new ww's will be gone, but my relationship with this tire guy will continue. I have 25.00 of gas involved in getting these new ww's, with 8 full buckets I'll be WAY ahead. Nothing personal, just had to disagree with you.

Tom

4719dave
09-10-2011, 04:05 PM
odinohi, i gotta get a job like you !!! You must have found the lepracon with the lead in the pot LOL .Thinking i would trade that lead to the tire guy "deals and frindships are realy hard to find" .

Gtek
09-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Depends on how much your time is worth, I have spent many hours sorting buckets. You have 270 clean, I would keep that and work deal on other source (buddy up, beer up, pizza up, doughnut up). Three to six guys in shop- take them all to lunch, they might even help load. Do the math. Hoard-Hoard-Hoard! Gtek

t_dickinson
09-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Sort-Schmort!

I started with the snips and it took FOREVER.

Now I start the pot and toss weights in as I sort by eye. All the stick-ons go in a pail, junk in the trash, and zinc/steel that I catch goes in a bucket.

I keep the temp at 550 and skim whatever I don't catch.

By the time I fill the pot, the bottom has started to melt and I've wasted no time.

I think I would keep it all. Try to buy the 8 buckets. Handing him a fitsfull o' dollars will do wonders for your brotherly bond.:lol:

plmitch
09-12-2011, 12:56 PM
I'd buy them and keep every bit of it you can get your hands on. Stock pile it.

Springfield
09-12-2011, 01:00 PM
If lead weigts are banned where you are then I don't think he will be allowed to trade. I also would just buy the used weights, never let go of lead once in your possession! Unless it is just used a a goodwill gesture that wil allow you to get more used weights, then it might be worth it. I gave up picking up at the itre store I had been getting weights from for 5 years, the lead ratio was down to about 20%, just not worth it sorting all that.

odinohi
09-12-2011, 01:03 PM
If lead weigts are banned where you are then I don't think he will be allowed to trade. I also would just buy the used weights, never let go of lead once in your possession! Unless it is just used a a goodwill gesture that wil allow you to get more used weights, then it might be worth it. I gave up picking up at the itre store I had been getting weights from for 5 years, the lead ratio was down to about 20%, just not worth it sorting all that.

Lead ww's are not banned where I am(Ohio). These came from an Ohio distributor that had sold to folks in New York state. That is where they were banned.

cbrick
09-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Lead WW are now banned in several states, if not yet in your state, trust me, your on the list. Get them while you can.

Rick

plmitch
09-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Lead WW are now banned in several states, if not yet in your state, trust me, your on the list. Get them while you can.

Rick

Well stated.

t_dickinson
09-12-2011, 01:26 PM
If lead weights are going to be banned, we should start brainstorming (for me a slight drizzle) about the future source.

What else will be made of lead and available is such quantity?

6pt-sika
09-12-2011, 02:35 PM
If lead weights are going to be banned, we should start brainstorming (for me a slight drizzle) about the future source.

What else will be made of lead and available is such quantity?

Well i dabbled with the idea of getting a ton or two from a foundry . But thats gonna be PRICEY !

Sonnypie
09-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Nice score!

I have 50# of magnum shot squirreled away. 4-6% Antimony. Just add tin. (lead free solder will do)
I'm thinking of getting more shot.
I see it as a win-win for me. I can make boolits, or load shot shells.
And in the mean time, I've been getting my Lyman #2 from Rotometals. I have several ingots left.
But I can't stuff an ingot in my bore.

Ingots are nice, ingots are impressive, but I cast mine up, in case of a shortage. :lol:

To heck with wheel weights, I'm banking against them outlawing lead on us. ;-)