PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli Highwall in .38-55

Gunlaker
09-09-2011, 04:27 PM
Hi,

Have any of you with the newer .38-55's measured your barrel at breech and muzzle? From what I read in the Black Powder Cartridge News it sounds like the rifle is pretty light, but on the Pedersoli web site it says the rifle weighs 11lbs.

I'm just wondering how the barrel compares to a #3 or #4 Winchester profile.

thanks,

Chris.

bigted
09-09-2011, 09:43 PM
dont know what your ped rifle is like but i had installed a #4 winchester profile barrel on my 85 hi-wall and this rifle will never see the hunting fields as it is so muzzle heavy. i would never install another #4 profile unless i wanted a bench only rifle. next barrel will be a #3 or lighter.

Gunlaker
09-09-2011, 10:06 PM
dont know what your ped rifle is like but i had installed a #4 winchester profile barrel on my 85 hi-wall and this rifle will never see the hunting fields as it is so muzzle heavy. i would never install another #4 profile unless i wanted a bench only rifle. next barrel will be a #3 or lighter.

Actually I don't have one of those Pedersoli highwalls. I was just curious about it after reading the article recently. It might be fun to play with a fast twist .38.

I've got two original 1885 single shots and a number of clones or reproductions (C. Sharps, Browning) and they all have #4 barrels with the exception of one Browning 1885 traditional hunter. I personally prefer the heavy barrels by far. Mind you I don't hunt with them, just shoot off hand and bench or cross sticks. For off-hand I like the #4 barrel too, if the rest of the rifle is set up right. A crescent butt plate, or Swiss style hook, and a length of pull in the 13" to 13.5" range for me.

Nowadays it seems that everyone wants a shotgun buttplate and many of the rifles are 14" LOP or so. Compare that to an original Winchester 1885 and you'll be amazed at how much easier the old ones are to shoot off hand. But still pretty heavy to lug around for hunting if that's your thing :-).

Chris.