PDA

View Full Version : Hopkins & Allen .32 centrefire model XL3

uncle jed
09-09-2011, 12:53 AM
Need some info and suggestions on this pistol. I haven't received it yet but I know it will need some restorations. Also what calibers of .32 were they made in? Thanks in advance, Uncle Jed.

Bret4207
09-09-2011, 09:36 AM
32 S+W and Long or 32 Colt New Police (same cartridge with a FN boolit), maybe 32 Short or Long Colt. IF I can remember I'll look in my reference books, but that's a big IF!

NoZombies
09-09-2011, 05:56 PM
I *believe* they were mostly in .32 colt short or long. Or at least, the ones I've seen in person have been. They used the same cylinders for the rimfires and centerfires that I've seen. The frames had a different cut, and they used different hammers.

I've only looked at a few of them though, and I'm sure there were differences through production.

uncle jed
09-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. I haven't got the pistol yet, just paid for it at the auction site. It will need some TLC to get it back in shape but I think it will be worth it. Once I get it done I will probably re3build the Stevens 44 in what ever caliber the H&A is in.

rintinglen
09-10-2011, 02:55 AM
Don't be surprised if it is a 32 Rimfire. The Hopkins and Allen firm made a great many 30 and 32 Rimfire Revolvers. IIRC, Doc Holliday reportedly owned one in 32.

uncle jed
09-10-2011, 02:50 PM
There may be a possibility of it being rimfire but the picture of the top strap had centrefire on it. I just need to find out if it is colt or s&w ctg.

uncle jed
09-14-2011, 01:31 AM
Picked up the H & A XL3 yesterday. It's actually in pretty good shape as far as how the cylinder lucks up, and the finish is slightly worn, but it is close to or possibly over 100 years old. It looks like it is .32 s&w short, at least I hope so. the only thing it needs that I can tell is the main spring. Also I was wondering about the action; it has double action on the top strap, does that mean it is double action only or can do single or double?