PDA

View Full Version : Can't get in the mood

Blammer
09-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Ok, I'm officially bummed at the moment.

I've not cast, or loaded, or done anything gun related in the last few months.

Just can't get in the mood.

Hopefully the cooler weather will help.

Anyone else ever get in that funk?

ilcop22
09-08-2011, 09:29 PM
My gun club is about 45 minutes from my house, and it's a long, boring drive through the countryside to get there. Even though 45 minutes isn't the longest drive compared to how far of other members of my club trek, it sure can discourage me sometimes. I know the feeling.

Artful
09-08-2011, 09:38 PM
I totally understand - it's too hot to cast - has been for months - thank god for payson and surplus military guns and ammo

leadman
09-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Artful, I cast about a thousand boolits today. Yes, it was kinda hot! I have a 5,400 cfm swamp cooler in my garage, but with the humidity up it only helps a little.

I'll be glad when the temps stay below 100'.

Horace
09-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Pull something out of the back of the safe.

geargnasher
09-08-2011, 11:13 PM
The Summertime Blues have had a tough hold on me too, all projects including finishing the house and the new shop have been on hold due to heat and my lack of enthusiasm. About the only thing that has gotten done is a little bit of shooting, but even the "fun" stuff is more of a chore. I've got six buckets of wheel weights and a bunch of pipe organ scraps waiting to be ingotized, maybe since the heat broke here on Monday life will get better. A month of bliss and then the doldrums of winter.......:?

Gear

frkelly74
09-08-2011, 11:50 PM
I just sold my only 308 cal rifle. I will have to force myself to go shoot up the 100 rounds of ammo I have left for it before I send it off to its new owner. That should get the juices flowing. I did get a "smelter" rigged up from a gas grill I found in a trash heap though. There is never no progress going on. We just creep ahead as we can.

WILCO
09-09-2011, 12:05 AM
Anyone else ever get in that funk?

Yep. Take a break. It'll keep till you come back.

Nueces
09-09-2011, 12:39 AM
That tropical storm in the Gulf brought us no rain and helped fan the wildfires here in Texas, but it also brought in a few cool mornings (and in September, yet!). That has genuinely improved my mood. I've been feeling oppressed, maybe even depressed, by this stinking heat.

Also, I notice I cycle through three interests: guns, Jeeps and machine tools. One after the other, with not much overlap, several months for each. When immersed in one of these passions, I lose most interest in the others. It's just what happens. I think if I found myself having lost interest in all these three, I'd try reading, planting some flowers or looking for some new jazz. The cycle always repeats.

Bet it's the heat, though.

Mark

stubshaft
09-09-2011, 12:42 AM
Been there, done that. I usually shift gears and go plinking with my 22 or go to the ocean and drown bait. The thought of sweating while reloading (even at night) kinda makes me lose focus and that's the last thing I need while loading ammo.

Suo Gan
09-09-2011, 01:01 AM
I'm so sick of this summer I could scream. Normal here this time of year. Take a break and come back refreshed. I tend to hit things too hard and then get burnt out. I have to pace myself.

I think this is a sign of intelligence or OCD.

303Guy
09-09-2011, 03:08 AM
Wow! Being on the opposite side of the globe we've just come through winter but it's been the warmest winter in recorded history. Even our normally cool and windy spring is mild and calm with clear skies. Is global warming beginning to really bite?

lead-1
09-09-2011, 04:03 AM
I had and still have some of 9mm, 45 LC, 44 mag, 30-06, 223 and 308's sitting on the bench waiting to be test fired. I have picked up three new molds and a set of handles since spring and have only used one that I hope to try in my Garand.
I have time out the wa-zoo but once the blahs set in they grab ahold pretty tight and the weather didn't cooperate much this year and that didn't help. My youngest and I did make it out last week for a couple hours.

warf73
09-09-2011, 04:09 AM
Not sure if I would call it funk, but yes I've not been in the mood either till the other day. I loaded up 300 rounds for dove season (only had 400 rounds on hand) but once I finished up couldn't get back into the mood to load anymore.
Summer has been long and hard, been working really hard at losing weight and get back into shape.
About the only things I've done this summer is exercise and go to work. Running wasn't any fun with 51 days over 100(new record). Go out to run at 10:30pm and its still 95 outside, hit it again at 7:30am and it’s already back to 90.
Cooler weather being here maybe I can get back to the range so I can finish up load development on the 480.

evan price
09-09-2011, 04:23 AM
I live ten minutes from the range and I stil haven't been there more than three times this summer. Just too many other things going on with work and family. I finally get some free time and stuff like mowing the yard and fixing the siding and cleaning up the junkyard behind the garage are always waiting. I've got 6 buckets of WW and another bucket of range scrap to smelt, a bucket of jackets to magna-sort, and a coffee can of 22LRs from the brass barrels to clean up and deal with. Most of the 22LRs are fine, just dropped. A few are duds that need pulled down. Some more are bent from jams and need fixed or pulled down. Tedious but necessary.

FWest
09-09-2011, 06:03 AM
This has happened to me with any "hobby" I have had. Cars, computers and shooting and reloading. It will pass or you will move on to other things.

bobthenailer
09-09-2011, 07:47 AM
You had better see the Range Doctor or maybe a specialest for your problem !
Its hot for me too !! I bring along a large fan to cool me off , luckely all ranges i frequent have covered firing lines and power avaliable as well as drinks.
As far as casting i only cast in the mounth of Febuary to replenish my stach , i usually make 10,000 bullets in Febuary, unless i would buy a new mould. and reload ammo in at least 200 + round batches any time of the year. and usually go shooting 2 to 3 times a week all year long.

white eagle
09-09-2011, 07:52 AM
a little wine...
lower the lights...
things will turn around for ya ...

curiousgeorge
09-09-2011, 08:00 AM
I know exactly what you mean. Temperatures last Saturday, 101 degrees. I have a 25 yard pistol bullet trap in my back yard but didn't want to fight the heat for most of July and August.

Big storm came through last Saturday night, temperatures this week have been highs in the upper 60's or low 70's, BUT it has rained for 6 straight days. I know that we needed the rain (and I wish we could have sent a little to all the folks in Texas that could really, really use it), but I am really looking forward to the lower temperatures with NO rain for a while.

Steve

dragonrider
09-09-2011, 09:12 AM
Blammer, even thought out temps and hmidity don't get as bad as it does down south, it still gets too much for me to tolerate, so yes I feel the same. I'm goin to shoot somethin this weekend.

Bret4207
09-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Been that way for me for a couple years. I get a day or 2 where I get loading or casting, but overall I just don't live for it anymore. Too much else that's got to be done NOW or that is really needed, or that's sat undone to the point where it affects other things. Just life I guess.

birdadly
09-09-2011, 09:32 AM
I'm happy that those of you who took it easy casting, reloading and shooting this summer, at least kept coming on here and sharing info and stories with all of us. Because I just started reloading and casting as of about this past March-ish... and I wouldn't have been able to do it without all of you!

Granted starting both of these new hobbies, buying equipment, components and especially molds from you all here has kept my pocketbook quite lite all summer, I'm completely happy with how everything's going :)

Thanks to you all for your downtime!! -Brad
PS. Now get back out there!

Spector
09-09-2011, 09:58 AM
I really understand what Bret4207 is saying. My wife and I are still raising our grandchildren. She had another cancer removed this year. Her prognosis is good though. Yesterday it was to the hospital again. Gall stones this time. Now we are waiting for a surgeon to remove her stones.

I was appointed to the board of directors at out conservation club.. The range is less than 4 miles from my home and I go there once a week to do a range check. Yet I rarely shoot anymore.

I had a catastrophic case failure in my modified Glock 21 in May and my pistol's frame deconstructed in my hands. I have 45ACP loaded........just no pistol to use them in. I did take my S&W33-1 and Marlin 1887 revolver to the range last Friday and fired 50 rounds of cast WC's. No fantastic groups, but ok I guess. I did manage to knock over 4 bowling pins at 25 yards double action with my last 4 shots.

I am wanting to get back to paper patching.

For now though I am trying to get my garage and den cleaned out so I can have my workshop back again. To much accumulated stuff in the garage.

It's getting too easy to come here and just read what others are doing and be satisfied with that. I've got to get off my butt and do more myself...........Mike

sundog
09-09-2011, 10:01 AM
Same here. Hottest July on record for any state (not sure how they do the stats, but that is what was reported). I like hot, but this was one freakin' miserable summer. Temps have moderated some, but still severely lack moisture. Tomorrow is military bolt match with a predicted start time temp about 60dF warming into the 80s. Ought to be nice. Looking forward to it. I'll be shooting a 2-groove 1903A3 with Ly 314299, gator checked, sized to .312, FWFL, over 21.0/IMR4227, in many time fired LCNM78 cases, Rem LR primed. When I am having a good day, this rifle and ammo combo is capable of consistent 98s on the SR21 at 100 yards.

josper
09-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Finaly got a break in the hot weather here in MA.The last couple of weeks I cast over 250lbs of boolits for the 45-70 Marlin. My funks last only as long as the humid weather.

lbaize3
09-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Blammer, I was in the same fix until yesterday. Got up early and went to the range (10 minutes from the house) and sighted in four pistols I had put scopes on. The XP100, rechambered to .223 was super with the 50 grain V-max bullets. Only took three shots to dial it in.

The Ruger 7 1/2 Blackhawk in 45 Colt was so accurate I had to shoot a box of 250 grain LRNFP cast boolits. That Universal sure is accurate in my 45 Colt.

Then I had to shoot my Ruger BH in 30 carbine. You know that 113 grain GC Lee boolit with my homemade lube is nothing short of awesome. Nothing but cloverleafs. Had to shoot a box of that, too.

Then I shot my Raging Bull 44 mag. Some max H110 pushing a Nosler HP was fantastic. Konus red dot was easy to dial in and I ended up shooting a half box of 44s just to see if I could cause the red dot to shift. Nope, stayed on target and was a joy to shoot.

So now I am cured. I will be going to the Gun Show in Beaumont this weekend, but I will be casting in the early mornings next week. Need some wadcutters for a new bucket of 38 special brass I just got. And I am going to cast some round balls to try with unique in my new EAA double rifle in 45-70.

Wahoooooo! Life is good!

Lizard333
09-09-2011, 12:27 PM
The Summertime Blues have had a tough hold on me too, all projects including finishing the house and the new shop have been on hold due to heat and my lack of enthusiasm. About the only thing that has gotten done is a little bit of shooting, but even the "fun" stuff is more of a chore. I've got six buckets of wheel weights and a bunch of pipe organ scraps waiting to be ingotized, maybe since the heat broke here on Monday life will get better. A month of bliss and then the doldrums of winter.......:?

Gear

With the fires now going on in Texas, they may take care of melting those ww's for you!! Hope your not part of the state BBQ going on.

I too have had it kinda tuff doing any casting. Today looms promising though, it should only be in the mid sixties. Nice break in the weather.

casterofboolits
09-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Too cold, too hot, had another stroke affecting my left side....always something! A couple months of rehhab and I should be back to it! Got three pistols to sight in.

Dale53
09-09-2011, 01:25 PM
I have kind of been in the same ("do little") mode for this summer. The spring had months of six out of seven days of rain. Then suddenly 100 degree days with horrible humidity.

Finally the weather broke and a good friend called and offered to help me smelt some lead. We got together Labor Day (good use of Labor, eh-h-h?). We smelted over 300 lbs of scrap lead. My good friend, Jimmy D., did most of the "heavy lifting" (bless him) as it was necessary to cut coiled lead pipe, flat sheet, rolled sheets of lead, etc small enough to get in my Harbor Freight Cast Iron Dutch oven.

The fabricated ingot moulds (five lb moulds from 2" angle iron) again proved their worth allowing us to move along in rapid fashion.

I was plumb tuckered out after the smelt but satisfaction was rampant! Looking at the pile of ingots, made me kind of feel like King Midas must have felt looking at his gold!

Now, I have enough bullet metal for another year or so. I did lots of casting this rainy spring so am good to go in that category.

On the other hand, there is always room to cast some more bullets.

The weather is cloudy and misting rain but at a comfortable 64 degrees so I feel revitalized.

Good friends are rare and valuable. Thank you, Jimmy D...

Dale53

Don Purcell
09-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Sometimes I wonder if the "funk" we fall prey to may come from the accumilation of all the negative B.S. we are bombarded with everyday? I know the weather can be a factor but wonder if we inadvertantly spend more time watching the boob tube and a lethargic condition sets in that makes us feel overwhelmed by the days events. Just a thought.

kelbro
09-09-2011, 01:45 PM
My solution, go buy a new gun or two. :) Always cranks the interest back up. And if it's a new caliber, then you need to acquire new molds, gas checks, etc...

theperfessor
09-09-2011, 01:58 PM
It was cool enough on Labor Day to comfortably sit in my shop and cast some bullets, been way too hot in southern Indiana to do that got a while. Used two 2-cavity molds, a Lyman 452374 and an RCBS 45-201 SWC, and was able to get about 400 of each. These are destined to be loaded in some new Starline .45 AR brass for my 625. New batch of bullets to shoot! Now my interest is picking back up again.

shooterg
09-09-2011, 02:25 PM
My prescription - hang up a steel plate, shoot 2 mags full at it, repeat daily.

dromia
09-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Break out the 22s and have some plinking fun and/or go and break some clays, just easy low prep shooting fun.

Soon get your juices going again. :D

Either that or just pack in and send my all your kit. :twisted:

x101airborne
09-09-2011, 03:02 PM
When I want to get excited about hunting, I watch "The Ghost and the Darkness" while holding my hunting rifle. If I want to get excited about military rifles, I watch "Enemy at the Gates" while holding my mauser. If I want to get excited about pistols, I watch "Top Shot" while holding my Ruger blackhawk. Many ways to get the ol juices flowin.

dverna
09-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Sometimes things get old/boring. I am lucky that I find a new challenge in shooting/reloading when that happens.

It is easier to stay involved if you shoot with a buddy - either a relative or good friend. I do tire of "range work". Punching holes in paper in hot weather is especially bad for me.

A change in good too. Try some of the shotgun games if you have OD'ed on shooting pistols/rifles. Take a youngster out and burn up a brick of .22's. Many ways to get a change of pace.

I really enjoy competing so I get to travel a bit and meet new friends.

I have so many things I need/want to do that I am "funk proof" for the foreseeable future. Just a partial list:

Evaluate the use of holographic sights for competitive trap shooting
Develop a cast load for the 38/55
Develop a cast load for the 45/70
Try Skeet shooting
Build a case feeder for my Star
Try paper patched bullets in a .308 and .300 Mag
Develop a varmint load for an AR15
Get the new 28 ga out and shoot Sporting Clays
Finish my reloading room
Do some off-roading with the Ranger 800 XP
Plan an RV trip to Northern MI for the fall colors - more off-roading
Start shooting Cowboy Action again (6 years since I did it last)
Fall upland game hunt - get 20 and 28 ga loads made up and tested
Look at casting or swaging bullets for the 38/55 and/or 45/70 if commercial bullets are not accurate
Sell some of the stuff I am not using and buy new stuff to play with.
Do some silhouette .22 shooting
Load up 20,000 rounds for the new trap season
Help at the club
Help with new shooters.
Teach a buddy how to reload.

I understand "burn out". When something that was once fun becomes a chore it is time to switch gears. That happened to me in Cowboy Action shooting because there was very little "Action". Shooting 25-35 seconds every hour got to me. I want more trigger time. So when I start back up I will do a lot fewer matches and more range work. It is REALLY easy to burn 400 rounds with 5-8 second 10 shot strings. But a steady diet of CAS is not enough for me.

Stop feeling sorry for yourself and DO something. Be honest with yourself and ask "Why am I not having fun?" Then ask yourself, "Can I make it fun?" If the answer is "No'. Move on to something else you find challenging.

Enjoy your hobbies and your friends or get new ones. Life is too darn short as it is.

Don Verna

Blammer
09-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Most interesting to read, thanks guys.

Good suggestions!

I think a few too many "NEW" things have started at my household, so when they get settled in, I'll feel a bit better.

School starting for kids, Fair is in town (running a booth for the Honeybee club), Honey extractor rental, Honeybee removals, (seasonal and about to end) got a new dog, and then the same old regular stuff, house, car, yard, etc...

I'll have to re arrange the "man cave" and something from the 'back shelf' may get the spark going again. :)

DRSNINER
09-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Been pizza oven hot here in okie land. Even with an air conditioned garage/shop it was a chore just to find the where withall to load a few hundred rounds much less venture out to the club range. Well now the heat has broken and the new long rifle range is up and running so it's on this sunday.shoot, reload, repeat.

geargnasher
09-09-2011, 11:05 PM
With the fires now going on in Texas, they may take care of melting those ww's for you!! Hope your not part of the state BBQ going on.

I too have had it kinda tuff doing any casting. Today looms promising though, it should only be in the mid sixties. Nice break in the weather.

Over one million acres of Texas has burned so far this year, and many areas are still burning. Fortunately, the area where we live hasn't been torched yet, but it's only one spark away.

Gear

W.R.Buchanan
09-09-2011, 11:22 PM
I deal with this issue by being into many different things. I go back and forth between playing with guns, building guns, reloading for pistols, reloading for rifles, reloading for shotguns, shooting trap and skeet, shooting Silhoutette and IDPA and then there's my Jeep project.

I also have to make a living and since I'm self employed I have to make that up as I go. I go between Machine Shop and RE Appraising, depending on whos buying and who's paying the most.

I have legal sized sheets of paper with 1.5 pages of gun projects waiting to do.

I have 5 legal sized sheets of things to do on the Jeep project!

Sometimes I don't do anything but watch TV or type stuff like this on the computer.

But: There is always something to do.

You've got to keep moving, and do "something productive" everyday. None of us are getting any younger!

I'm going to the gun show tomarrow and working on my Jeep frame afterwards, Skeet shooting on Sunday.

Went to doctor today . I don't have Skin Cancer! Just a big mole that got snipped off,,,phew!

Got to keep moving. It keeps you alive! Basic law of Inertia!

Randy

randyrat
09-09-2011, 11:31 PM
I can tell the summer heat is getting to you fellows.The beeswax sales are way down for the last two weeks. I can tell by the weather from some of the zip codes of previous costumers. If I had it that hot, I wouldn't be outside either.

I had the summer blues also......I fixed mine with a stubborn 44, there ain't no way I could let this 44 kick my a$$. I had to ream the throats and fire lap it and then try to find a couple loads for it. So far I'm winning the battles. It's making pop can dance now.
Next is the 03A3- It's an old Whiskey stick but it still has some dance to it yet, nice barrel and a good clean bore.

Cooler weather is coming

Hunting season is coming- Squirrels, grouse( if I can hit them) white tails and YOTES ( I can hear them howling)

94Doug
09-09-2011, 11:54 PM
Well Blammer, I've followed this thread. I have the opposite problem, I can't seem to get excited about work. Or projects around the house for that matter. Only casting and reloading. It's a big problem.

Doug

10x
09-10-2011, 12:32 AM
I'm so sick of this summer I could scream. Normal here this time of year. Take a break and come back refreshed. I tend to hit things too hard and then get burnt out. I have to pace myself.

I think this is a sign of intelligence or OCD.

Sick of summer????
How about I trade you two months of -30F or colder - January and Feb would be just fine.
At least when you walk outside in heat in a T shirt you don't start to die in thirty minutes or less....

geargnasher
09-10-2011, 12:40 AM
Tell y'all what. Let's make a deal: We'll trade some of the rain-drenched, flooded areas for some sunshine and single digit humidity numbers, and all of you who have 30-below winters can have a little of our heat in trade for some of that cold. Maybe things would even-out and we'd all be in better moods to enjoy the things we love to do. However, for those areas with an abundance of them, you can KEEP your liberals/socialists!

Gear

x101airborne
09-10-2011, 08:02 AM
tell y'all what. Let's make a deal: We'll trade some of the rain-drenched, flooded areas for some sunshine and single digit humidity numbers, and all of you who have 30-below winters can have a little of our heat in trade for some of that cold. Maybe things would even-out and we'd all be in better moods to enjoy the things we love to do. However, for those areas with an abundance of them, you can keep your liberals/socialists!

Gear

amen!!!

metweezer
09-10-2011, 10:09 AM
I also am waiting for the weather to cool off before I start casting. It has once again been a brutal summer. Maybe Al Gore is right..... Maybe he did create the internet. [smilie=l: :veryconfu:bigsmyl2::holysheep:happy dance::CastBoolitsisbest:

ColColt
09-10-2011, 12:48 PM
It's been terribly hot here nearly all summer. I don't know how many days we've had in the 90+ area. I cast in my attached garage and have to open one of the bay doors and it doesn't take long for it to get hot in the garage and that puts a damper on that. Fortunately, I had enough cast for two different calibers and four different boolit styles to tide me over till it got better. Now, it's currently 72 here and I'm going to be firing up the pot again to knock out some from the newly acquired Mihec 200 gr 45 (H&G #68) mold since I hadn't gotten that opportunity yet.

My range is just seven miles away and I've never gotten into the habit of not going there at least every other week. Shooting is like math-lay off it a while and you get mighty rusty. So, if I'm not casting, I'm reloading for the upcoming week or so and try to keep a stash around so I want have to rush reloading the night before. Doldrums? Nope not here. I have to maintain sanity and this is a great outlet for me.

Roundnoser
09-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Same here. Life's other duties has kept me busy, and my free time (what little I have), has been spent on the couch, or on this forum! It has been months since I cast any bullets. The one time I tried (only because I was running low on my favorite projectiles), was a bad session...could get the lead to flow nice, and didn't find my rhythm. Couldn't wait for that pot to empty!

Simonpie
09-10-2011, 01:02 PM
I generally need some competition to get me out of the house. Nothing serious, but just the local range "league shoots" and such. Without a date on the calendar I'd wake up on a perfect shooting day with no ammo loaded. Now I shoot on some non perfect days, but I'm always ready a day ahead of time.

edward hogan
09-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Haven't been doing any casting since May/June. Thurs was a nice enough day, so just said "what the hell" and spent an hour and half melting down a big batch of wheelweights and then casting Lyman 345gr for my .454 Casull.

Been meaning to work up a load for these in .45 Colt cases. Bought some Starlines back in May. Had a nice 30 min session w/whole family shooting a bunch of .45acp cast loads a week or two ago. Not much shooting this Summer though.

Still really want to be shooting mainly cast in my field rifles.
Lazy, hazy days of Summer blues; I guess...

Freightman
09-10-2011, 04:03 PM
As I get older (and it is fast) things change, a few years back I was into simi autos Hakim, M1 Garand, AK's ect. but as I got tired of them I find myself onto single shots. I now shoot Shiloh Sharps, M1867 Rolling Block, single shot .22's now I do not need to cast or load near as much. It is a good thing as with us setting over 30 new heat records this summer and 52 days of 100+ I couldn't go to the range anyhow. We wern't as bad off as my son at Burkburnett they had over 100+ days above 100 hot isn't quite the way to describe the heat and humidity there.

Marlin Junky
09-10-2011, 04:24 PM
I have two fans at my casting bench in the garage just in case I run out of boolits in August/September and I cast twice last week after the sun went down. I didn't think I had it in me since I'm a old fart that really, really hates the heat.

MJ

Nueces
09-10-2011, 06:33 PM
metweezer, thanks for the guffaw!

Mark

Hickory
09-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Can't get in the mood

My wife says that sometimes, or more specifically,
"I'm not in the mood" or something like that.:popcorn:

Alchemist
09-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Blammer,

I feel for you brother. Tell ya what, box up all those boring moulds and send 'em to me. I'll figure out something to do with them. :bigsmyl2:

JesterGrin_1
09-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Well Blammer I have to semi Agree lol. As I never cast here in the summer lol. Just too darn blasted HOT. But this year in San Antonio TEXAS has been a doozy to say the least. It has not only been HOT but no rain to speak of. Not to mention now the fires are starting.

Heck all Summer I think I have been to the range 3 times sorry to say. But I plan to head out to the range Monday to try out my 35 Whelen with a few loads. Sorry Blammer they are Speer 250Gr Hot-Core. When it cools off I will try some Cast. :)

colt 357
09-10-2011, 10:45 PM
grab your .22 and a bulk pack of ammo and go have some fun. nothing serious just fun. that should get you back in the mood.

shdwlkr
09-10-2011, 11:07 PM
Blammer
I envy you having to deal with kids and school and such. I get to see mine every two weeks if i am lucky and it is very dull around the house when they are not here.
I am in a funk about casting, reloading and even shooting as doing everything alone just plain sucks. Will I ever have another companion in this life most likely not to rough around the edges and way to many of the female side of humans don't like my having little guys.
So I figure that I will be alone until they are grown and then I will be a very old man when the kids are grown and by then I will be too old want someone in my life.
Doesn't help all my stuff is in boxes that I hope I have with me if not then they are lost to me forever.
Hang in there Blammer cooler weather is coming and then you will get the desire to cast.
later

HARRYMPOPE
09-11-2011, 02:42 AM
I shoot 2-3 days a week in the summer and one day in winter.I cast year round in temps from 105 deg to 20deg in the shop. I have never gotten the funk with bullet casting and shooting in 25 years.Its 11:40 PM PST and i just got done loading and i'll be up at 5AM and of shooting by 6AM tomorrow and Monday AM as well.I cast and load after the kids are in bed and shoot early AM(as soon as its light) before the kids are getting going on the weekends. (i am lucky our range is in farmland and we can shoot at all times)

The cure for your "funk" is shooting and casting more.

George

badbob454
09-11-2011, 02:54 AM
havent shot in monts too unless you count a 22 boltaction shootin pesky birds with colibri ammo ,have cast ingots and loaded lots of ammo though the honeydoo's are keeping me from shooting cut the lawn, watch the grandbabies, ( i like that chore )i have 4 acres to take care of and the last 2 weekends i have been on my back putting in a new clutch p/plate t/o brg., and 4x4 shift motor . in my explorer ... ready for winter now ..now to go shooting , next weekend ???

lbaize3
09-11-2011, 07:03 PM
OK, guys! Just as soon as I hit the Lotto I will build an indoor 100 yard range next to the house. It will be cool in the summer and warm in the winter. There will be at least 10 stations and free soda and snack machines. I will build an indoor swimming pool next to it and it will have a full time grill and bar with waitresses to serve the guests. I doubt I will have enough money left to build guest houses, but there are 3 great hotels 10 to 30 minutes away and the casinos in Lake Charles are maybe 45 minutes to an hour away.

If the Lotto winnings are big enough I will lease a helo so ya'll can fly into Houston and the helo can pick you up and drop ya off in the back yard. I guess it would be good to have a great loading and casting area so ya'll can tweek your loads while here.

And for those of us whose health has been a problem, I'll hire some cute nurses to push ya around in wheel chairs or I'll get power chairs for you. That way you can shoot and enjoy yourself more without getting tired.

I will cure those summer/winter time blues for ya!

63 Shiloh
09-12-2011, 07:35 AM
OK, guys! Just as soon as I hit the Lotto I will build an indoor 100 yard range next to the house. It will be cool in the summer and warm in the winter. There will be at least 10 stations and free soda and snack machines. I will build an indoor swimming pool next to it and it will have a full time grill and bar with waitresses to serve the guests. I doubt I will have enough money left to build guest houses, but there are 3 great hotels 10 to 30 minutes away and the casinos in Lake Charles are maybe 45 minutes to an hour away.

If the Lotto winnings are big enough I will lease a helo so ya'll can fly into Houston and the helo can pick you up and drop ya off in the back yard. I guess it would be good to have a great loading and casting area so ya'll can tweek your loads while here.

And for those of us whose health has been a problem, I'll hire some cute nurses to push ya around in wheel chairs or I'll get power chairs for you. That way you can shoot and enjoy yourself more without getting tired.

I will cure those summer/winter time blues for ya!

Sounds bloody good to me mate!!

Just remember a First Class ticket from Australia, so I can come and visit.

Our last summer was brutal, really high and unusual humidity for my area. The weather is just wonderful at the moment though.

I need to do more casting in this good weather, all this talk of stinking hot summer made me remember last summer.

Mike

steg
09-12-2011, 08:04 AM
Yep been there, still am, I think most of my problems are due to getting older and the limitations that go with it.....................steg

BAGTIC
09-12-2011, 02:23 PM
I get that way every time the electioneering season begins. It used to be that we got a couple years off in between elections. Now days they hardly wait until they take tthe oath before they are at it again. Bummer.

pmer
09-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Maybe a summer hobby is in order for some people here. Around May or June I start thinking about antique tractor pulling. It winds down in late August or September. Its not the cheapest or the easyest hobby but it keeps me busy.

I cast and load in the spring. Picking it up again now I'm doing some more casting for new to me guns. Ready rarring to go for fall and shooting year around. Just not as much in the summer.

Now I got an engine in the shop for a different tractor, trying to get 3 times the power out of it, I'll be excited to get that out next year.

MikeS
09-12-2011, 05:31 PM
Right now the weather has got me at a stand still. While I have plenty of pure lead, and linotype, I can't mix up more Lyman #2, as I do that on a turkey fryer outside, and right now down here in FL they call for rain almost everyday, and when it rains here it really rains, we can get a few inches in an hour! And it can look nice out, and in 5 minutes it's pouring rain, so I haven't been able to mix up any alloy to cast with! I just sold a mould, and I have a few hundred boolits cast from it, so I remelted those to cast some from the new moulds I got from Mihec, otherwise I wouldn't have had any ready to cast lead available to me.

geargnasher
09-12-2011, 05:37 PM
What is this "rain" of which you speak, Mike? I seem to remember stories told to me by my grandfather of water falling from the sky, and black clouds, and something called "thunder", but I don't know that it happens here, or if it does, it's been so long I've forgotten about it!

Could you post some pictures? :kidding:

Gear

Jon
09-13-2011, 01:28 PM
I haven't been to the range more than a few times this year myself. Now that fall is here, and it's a little cooler, I feel the want to go. I went to the range last week to try out a 22 that I salvaged from a yard sale, but it was still pretty warm.

Right now, I'm up to my eyeballs trying to get firewood taken care of, and get things ready for winter. Once things settle down, I'm sure I'll get out the casting equipment and start reloading again.

It's funny how interests seem to cycle. Some of it may be what is needed at the time. Right now, I'm back into playing with chainsaws and upgrading my splitter. Mostly due to needing that equipment right now. Next it'll be doing bodywork on the truck and repairs on the snowblower.

I'm sure you'll find yourself back at the range soon enough. :D