PDA

View Full Version : Fall garden going in.

10 ga
09-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Kale, lettuce, broccoli, cabbage, collards up now. Okra, tomatoes done, last batch of beans due for picking and making "leather britches". Putting the compost in the potato patch and planting cereal rye for cover crop. Will seed the cresses in before the moon changes where the okra and tomatoes were. Can't wait for November and some frost to hit those greens. I have a GOOD supply of cured/smoked side meat from the pig we killed in February. And I just made biscuits for the chicken tonight. I'm makin myself hungry. Just had to share! Best to all, 10 ga

pipehand
09-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Tilled some of the summer garden under last weekend and planted broccoli. Will plant other brassicas this weekend and will be planting some winter wheat after 15 October.

PatMarlin
09-08-2011, 08:05 PM
THat is awesome guys!

Darn I wish I had the time right now. I bought my wife 2 of those Harbor Freight greenhouses on sale and I haven't even had time to put them up coming on 3 years now.

Bad husband. Bad, bad husband. ...:groner:

ktw
09-08-2011, 08:44 PM
We had an overnight frost about a week ago. Killed the cherry tomatoes.

-ktw

Mk42gunner
09-08-2011, 09:41 PM
We had an overnight frost about a week ago. Killed the cherry tomatoes.

-ktw

We had 106 degrees a week ago, tomatoes already dead no frost needed.

Robert

oneokie
09-08-2011, 09:57 PM
Y'all should be thankful you have enough moisture to even think about planting a fall garden.

10 ga
09-08-2011, 10:49 PM
Pat, If those greenhouses are for your wife shouldn't she put them up? LOL! If you put them up they'll just turn into see through storage barns! Best, 10

PatMarlin
09-08-2011, 11:03 PM
I'm picturing a good solar kiln for some lumber... :mrgreen:

GabbyM
09-08-2011, 11:59 PM
We got some real rain today. First of that we've seen since June. Kept going north and south of us. Around here farmers get 200 bushel corn on a good year. Looking to see 100 bushel this year.

Have some green beans planted for fall harvest. Blasted squirrels mowed down one forty foot row of them like a lawn mower. Eating my tomatoes too. I think they are over populated and need thinned out.

firefly1957
09-12-2011, 08:56 PM
I had frost last tue & wed lost some tomato and peppers plants supposed to freeze Friday my garden will be toast next week. Will be canning tomatoes tomorrow!

oneokie
09-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Congrats on having tomatoes to can.

PatMarlin
09-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Second that emotion.

Tom-ADC
09-12-2011, 10:11 PM
I'm curious do you guys follow the old "Poor Richard" idea of if it grows underground plant during a no moon and if above the ground plant full moon?

Since prehistoric times, man has been planting and harvesting crops according to the phases of the moon. In a nutshell, it means that various plants do best when planted or harvested at certain phase

All crops that produce their yield above ground should be planted during the Waxing (New to Full) Moon. The first week is especially good for crops that have their seeds on the outside, and the second week (between the 1st quarter and the Full Moon) is best for crops that produce seeds on the inside.

During the waning Moon (Full to New Moon) is the time to plant root crops. No planting is to be done on the day of the New Moon or Full Moon.

sleeper78
09-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Started pulling my tomato plants out today. Picked what will probably be the last of my cucumbers plus some more hot and bell peppers. I'm still waiting for my lima beans to produce. They started blooming the other day. Dad says they'll be ready by frost, I sure hope so. Potatoes are dead. Gonna start digging them out this week. I made dill pickle relish today out of some of the cucumbers we picked. I have 40 pints of diced tomatoes canned. I have 5 gallons of tomato juice in the freezer to make spaghetti sauce and ketchup out of. Probably going to have to buy a half bushel of tomatoes to make crushed tomatoes. Between Hurricane Irene and the crazy rain causing all of the floods here in PA last week the tomatoes I did have all rotted. I'm still waiting for my red beets to make beets and not just stalks too. Overall this was a great year for my garden. Had a few bumps in the road but this is the second year we've had a garden since we only bought the house last spring and I'm thrilled with the progress it's made.

firefly1957
09-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Canned 31 quarts of tomatoes today while I was picking them I found a pepper plant that got over grown by tomatoes (it was ate to the ground by woodchuck so I thought is was gone) it was supposed to be a Italian banana pepper but I do not know what it is 1 to a inch and a half long thin pepper bright red and hotter then **** ! Good flavor in food when cooked but still HOT.

Mk42gunner
09-13-2011, 06:41 PM
Canned 31 quarts of tomatoes today while I was picking them I found a pepper plant that got over grown by tomatoes (it was ate to the ground by woodchuck so I thought is was gone) it was supposed to be a Italian banana pepper but I do not know what it is 1 to a inch and a half long thin pepper bright red and hotter then **** ! Good flavor in food when cooked but still HOT.

I think it would br hard to tell the species of pepper by the leaves of the plant, It may be easier by looking at pictures of the pepper itself.

Here are a few guesses:
1. Cayenne
2. Tabasco; I have seen these bottled when green, pretty hot, especially when your shipmates in the bar hide the label.
3. Mature Thai peppers; I don't know the actual name, but the little green peppers that come as a garnish in most Thai dishes I have had are pretty warm.

Robert

swheeler
09-13-2011, 06:43 PM
I had frost last tue & wed lost some tomato and peppers plants supposed to freeze Friday my garden will be toast next week. Will be canning tomatoes tomorrow!

Looks like if we can tomatoes they will be green ones, late, wet spring this year.

10 ga
09-13-2011, 07:22 PM
Got bout 3 gallons of green tomatoes today from my neighbor. He's taking his down and planting fall stuff too. He didn't want them said I could have any I wanted. I'm gonna make some into "bread n butter" pickles and a couple of green tomato pies with the rest. Another neighbor has a couple of trees of tart green apples. He dosen't give them any attention and said I could have all I want. Guess that means apple jelly time! And squirrel season is open too. I'm retired and never knew life would ever be this good. Old lady says we live in poverty, I ask what kind of poverty. Best to all! 10 ga

DLCTEX
09-13-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm not planting anything unless it rains. I tried to garden since spring with no rain and it's been an futile effort. We have a chance for rain for the next few days, but I've become pessimistic.

UtopiaTexasG19
09-13-2011, 07:36 PM
Here in my part of Texas we have had 45 days over 100F this summer and no measurable rain since October of 2010! We usually have 34-39 inches of rain per year in S.E. Texas and a fall garden would be near impossible at 102F today. What crazy weather this year. Many of the lakes and rivers are dried up and when you walk out in the fields the dead grass crunches like it was frozen. We usually bale hay three times during the spring and summer here and this year no one I know of has baled hay even once. It's terrible....:(

DCM
09-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Darn I wish I had the time right now. I bought my wife 2 of those Harbor Freight greenhouses on sale and I haven't even had time to put them up coming on 3 years now.

Bad husband. Bad, bad husband. ...:groner:

Pat are the large enough to use as a casting shed?? In the cooler months of course.

PatMarlin
09-13-2011, 08:56 PM
They are the big 10x12x12 ones. So yea ..:mrgreen: