PDA

View Full Version : My second score....

meak99
09-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Last night I met the husband of a friend from church, who just happens to be a mechanic. He closed up his own shop to take a local job. I inquired about wheel weights and he said, "Why yes!". He had two and a hlaf 5 gallon buckets full in his shed and graciously gave me one of them. His hopes are to use the rest for fishin' weights, but if he doesn't get to using them, he'd be glad to give them to me as well. These buckets must be pretty old... almost all lead. In the photo, all contents started in the white bucket. I sorted by hand, pinching with pliers anything that didn't feel heavy enough for it's size to be lead to check for zinc. I found about 10 zinkers, one razor blade, a few weightless clips, and a few pieces of rubber. A handful of crud at the bottom of the bucket and the rest was Pb! 6 lbs of SOWW and the full bucket weighed in at 129lbs!!! I can't wait to start smeltin'! This is only the second time i've been able to score a full 5 gallon bucket - the first one was full of trash and zinc, other scores have always been 10lb or less of mixed weights. I am one happy caster right now.

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g363/meak99/441.jpg

Ole
09-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Congrats.

That bucket will make a lot of boolits! :mrgreen:

Figure 110lbs of ingots = 770,000 grains of bullets.

meak99
09-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Over 3800 of my .452" 200gr SWC... wish I could get my 155gr mold sooner - I could stretch this out to nearly 5000 of them!

10 ga
09-08-2011, 07:48 PM
You, meak99, up in Bowling Green there. Don't be coming across the river to King George, Westmoreland, Richmond, Lancaster or Northumberland or down to Essex, Middleses or King and Queen lookin for no lead "ore". LOL! That is my prospectin grounds and route. I'm bout half way tween Warsaw and Kilmarnock and have some "ore" sources over here but there drying up fast. Nice score you got. I mostly cast for my MLs and use plenty of soft lead. If ya wanna trade the SOWWs for COWWs let me know. Perhaps we can work some kinda trade when ya get a bunch together. If you're kinda new and want some hands on instruction perhaps can do that too. PM if ya want to get together etc... I'm retired and mostly fish, hunt(game and lead), trap, raise a garden and help out other people whenever. Glad there is another caster close. After I "cross the river" the kids will have a good hoard of ingots to sell in the auction or yard sale, however they get rid of my stuff, and you are close enough to get some! LOL. Hope to meet ya soon. 10 ga I'm sendin a PM.

meak99
09-08-2011, 08:44 PM
10 ga - so far I'm only hunting in KG and Caroline... slim pickings indeed. It's nice to have mechanics living on either side of me.... but even that's a slow trickle. PM replied.

meak99
09-09-2011, 09:58 AM
Congrats.

That bucket will make a lot of boolits! :mrgreen:

Figure 110lbs of ingots = 770,000 grains of bullets.

I guess you've done this a few times. I got 108 ingots, ~1lb each!

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g363/meak99/447.jpg