PDA

View Full Version : How about PP in the 30-30 AI

RNT
09-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Any body have any experience with this? Is the neck on the Ackley Improved too short? I have a nice shooting AI barrel on a Old Contender frame but have so far loaded for it with the J-words.

I'd like to give paper patching a try but am wondering if it is a good match. Any input from the group would be very much appreciated.

303Guy
09-09-2011, 01:49 AM
Just how long is the neck? Basically one doesn't want the boolit base to seat past the base of the neck. No neck sizing should be necessary and it is said that the boolit should be jammed into the rifling leade. One boolit diameter neck length should be plenty but some folks have had good success with cartridges with shorter necks. Even with boolits seated past the base of the neck.

RNT
09-09-2011, 01:51 PM
303Guy,
Thanks for the reply. The neck on the 30-30 AI is 0.350” compared to 0.476” on the standard 30-30 case so it looks like I’m well within one boolit diameter and it should work just fine.
I’ve been following the threads on paper patching and have read a lot of your postings, I have to say that the idea of paper patching has me intrigued and I can’t wait to get started. Sounds like fun.

barrabruce
09-11-2011, 08:23 AM
Iv'e had better splaterings if you keep the base even or above the bottom case neck.

Not being an expert.
But you can at least try to have patches to get the bullet to seat into the rifling and throat and case.

You'll have to figure that on out your self but if you got a lee 150 or 170 for reference or similar I'd go for it.

If you can get the drive bands in there and much as possible go to it.

Barra

pdawg_shooter
09-12-2011, 08:08 AM
All my 300RUM loads have the base of the bullet seated past the base of the neck. Seems to work fine.

303Guy
09-12-2011, 03:59 PM
I remember you saying so, pdawg_shooter.

I have two reasons for avoiding seating past the neck. The first is uncertainty. I just don't know! Perhaps I will try it and see what happens. It would solve my problem of boolit length and magazine fit. The second reason is the 'dough-nut'. Some of my 303 Brit cases have quite pronounced 'dough-nuts'. It depends on the chamber I suppose. Some chambers have the neck base further forward and I would expect these to not have the problem. I simply haven't checked.

I wonder whether boolit hardness has an influence? Will a softer alloy be more susceptible to base deformation if seated past the neck base?