PDA

View Full Version : Possible bad batch of Federal Auto Match

bobthenailer
09-08-2011, 07:12 AM
I bought a box at walleyworld lot # 1HT536 out of about 100 rounds shot from my Hi Standard pistol i had at least 10 shots that were weak sounding and also a few malfunction , failure to eject they got caught between the barrel & slide and at least 1 failure to lock the slide back on last shot.
I was surprised as ive been shooting this ammo for about 3 years now with no problems in over 3,000 rounds
its a good thing i went to pratice for a falling steel match on wendsday! theres a match this sunday im going to take a known good lot to the match.

69daytona
09-08-2011, 10:37 AM
A friend gave me a tool someone made that is a quick way to measure the rim thickness and I was measuring a box of Auto Match yesterday. I found most to be a 0-1 which is good, I got about 20 that measured 3-4 which is sill good but had 5 that measured -3 which means the rims are to thin and from experience means they will miss fire. Also had a few that the projectile itself was larger than the rest and would not go inside the tool.
I am talking to a friend of mine to see if he can make more of these as they are quick and easy to check your 22 and 22mag rims quick. If I can I will post them here for sale.

Mk42gunner
09-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Bob,

Contact Federal with your lot number. You never know they might make it right.

Robert

doubs43
09-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Federal had a bad lot of AM-22 cartridges maybe 5 years ago or so and they made good on them.

Rick N Bama
09-13-2011, 06:47 PM
I recently bought a box of Lot 1HT504. So far I've shot maybe 50 rounds through a Ruger MK3 with no problems.

Rick

stubshaft
09-13-2011, 09:03 PM
Federal had a bad lot of AM-22 cartridges maybe 5 years ago or so and they made good on them.

They sent me a case of new ammo and told me not to bother with[smilie=2: sending the defective stuff back.

doubs43
09-14-2011, 12:18 PM
They sent me a case of new ammo and told me not to bother with[smilie=2: sending the defective stuff back.

Yep, that's pretty much the same story lots of people posted at the time. They didn't send me a case but they did replace the bad boxes of cartridges I had bought. The AM-22 is one of the better economy cartridges in my guns.