PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Pro7 index conversion

cheese1566
09-07-2011, 10:43 PM
I have an older Hornady Pro7 that was never converted to a ProJector. It uses the large spring and ball bearing under the shellplate. I have a Pro7 that has been factory converted and a ProJector as well and these use the smaller spring bearings embedded in the shellplates.

The Pro7 has the "first generation" index whell on the bottom. My converted Pro7 and ProJector utilize the "second" style and I feel has a smoother transition from position to position on the ram strokes. The old Pro7 feels like it jumps into position; OK for large rifle shells- not good for short pistol casings and will spill powder.

Has anyone taken upon themselves to change the index wheel to a new LNL style "star" wheel?

This is the index wheel located on the bottom of the ram and is turned by the paws. I tried adjusting the shellplate tension with the nut but no avail. I am also thinking the large spring/ball bearing is making the shellplate jump into position, unlike the smaller ones on the new plates.

(I have a new LNL "star" index wheel when I ordered parts from Hornady. They no longer have the ProJector style index wheels and will not do a conversion... no matter how much I plead and kiss butt!)

Hardcast416taylor
09-08-2011, 10:59 PM
I experienced the same "jerky/jumpy" action before I had Hornady do the conversion on my Pro-7 many years back. I found that putting a small dab of lith. grease on the ball and detented holes helped ease the jumping action of operation.Robert

cheese1566
09-09-2011, 12:28 AM
Aaarrgghhhh!

Sometimes the simplest solution is the most overlooked!

I'll try that this weekend when I set it up for .223.

Thanks!