PDA

View Full Version : 300 lbs just dug up

DinoS
09-07-2011, 07:47 PM
This is my first post, I am green when it comes to casting boolits or swaging. I have about 300 lbs of lead pipe that was just dug up in an old part of town. I have cast some into decoy weights and still have 200 lbs. Is this good for copper jacketed boolet swaging. I am new to this site and I did a search but did not find a definative answer. I am looking into making dies, mill, lathe and heat treat oven down the road. The pipe cuts through with three swings of a hatchet. what do you think.

Dino

Edit: If this pipe is soft of hard will not mean much to me as I don't know which I require for swaging. I want to get into rifle boolits.

DinoS
09-07-2011, 09:43 PM
found it. Will require the addition of COWW to bring me to a medium hardness. Did a google search.

no34570
09-07-2011, 09:53 PM
DinoS
That lead pipe you dug up,is probably near pure lead,people use it for making Paper Patch Bullets(me) and light pistol loads,as it is very soft. Real good for making muzzle loading bullets(I do that too)
Got a good find there mate,lucky bugger!

Welcome to the forum ;)

littlejack
09-07-2011, 11:46 PM
DinoS:
Welcome to the Cast Boolits.
If you do not want to use it, it will be good tradin stock for you to get harder material.
Jack

dieguy59
09-08-2011, 01:50 AM
DinoS, you remind me of my younger self(5 months ago)new to the scene, but hoarding like a pro! Well done! PM in bound

DinoS
09-08-2011, 11:37 AM
My brother who worked for a pipeline company gets it. They use it for beer money, he doesn't drink so he took his share in lead. He still has more than I started with.

Freightman
09-08-2011, 02:43 PM
My brother who worked for a pipeline company gets it. They use it for beer money, he doesn't drink so he took his share in lead. He still has more than I started with.
Might want to take some beer and trade them out of there part.

hiram1
09-08-2011, 03:35 PM
get it store it make boolits out of it .it is going to be hard to find soon.it sells to high to let it sit.a friend of mine give me about 900 lb and it is boolits now in a safe place