PDA

View Full Version : Re-barrel or line a luger?

mtgrs737
09-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Anyone here have a 9mm german luger re-barreled or relined? I have a gun that has a rough barrel and would like to shoot lead boolits in it but think that it would need a smoother bore. Mine is a shooter grade so no problem but I could just shoot jacketed in it exclusively.

Anyone have experiance in this area?

ss40_70
09-07-2011, 09:44 PM
maybe try fire lapping it to take the rough edges off and shoot some cast first . you wont be out but a few bucks and it might suprise you

Gee_Wizz01
09-07-2011, 10:07 PM
I have a "shooter grade" piece parts Luger with a rough looking bore, but it shoots cast boolits extremely well and doesn't lead much at all. As a mater of fact it is a tack driver and will out shoot all my other 9mm's. When I bought it I didn't hold out much hope for it, and figured I would just buy a top quality barrel and be done. Still haven't put a new barrel on her, I just need to get her reblued. It is fun to take to the range and use the old "clunker" to shoot circles around the Glock boys.

G

mtgrs737
09-07-2011, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I may just give fire lapping a try. It is not as rough as I first thought, after a good brush cleaning it looked a lot better.

Gee_Wizz01
09-09-2011, 09:06 PM
I didn't even fire lap mine, I just gave it thorough brushing with JB bore paste, and it worked wonders.

G

ilcop22
09-10-2011, 02:00 AM
For fire lapping, is it better to use commercial products (like the Brownells kit) or the JB bore polish method?

Gee_Wizz01
09-11-2011, 12:49 AM
For fire lapping, is it better to use commercial products (like the Brownells kit) or the JB bore polish method?

I will start by saying that I am not a proponent of fire lapping, but if I were to fire lap I would buy one of the kits available. I am not sure JB would work for fire lapping, but it sure works good for cleaning up a dirty, nasty barrel, following the instructions on the container. It is non embedding is easy to clean up afterwards. If JB doesn't work, I would cast up a slug do the old fashion hand lapping. When lapping by hand you can give the tight areas of the bore extra attention. That's just my opinion, but a lot guys here that I respect, firelap their bores with outstanding results.

G

mtgrs737
09-13-2011, 05:48 PM
I am going to try cleaning and then working up a load for this pistol before I consider the next step of barrel replacement or relining. Thanks to all who replied, I appreciate you guys!

ilcop22
09-13-2011, 06:23 PM
I will start by saying that I am not a proponent of fire lapping, but if I were to fire lap I would buy one of the kits available. I am not sure JB would work for fire lapping, but it sure works good for cleaning up a dirty, nasty barrel, following the instructions on the container. It is non embedding is easy to clean up afterwards. If JB doesn't work, I would cast up a slug do the old fashion hand lapping. When lapping by hand you can give the tight areas of the bore extra attention. That's just my opinion, but a lot guys here that I respect, firelap their bores with outstanding results.

G

Thanks for your advice. I've JB'd my bore with the brush method, but I just don't see the results. Do you have a link or short explanation about hand lapping? I haven't tried that, and I can't justify buying a kit right now. Thanks!

Gee_Wizz01
09-15-2011, 04:00 PM
Thanks for your advice. I've JB'd my bore with the brush method, but I just don't see the results. Do you have a link or short explanation about hand lapping? I haven't tried that, and I can't justify buying a kit right now. Thanks!

I am on the road now, but when I get back, I believe I have the instructions on how to lap your bore. Have you tried shooting your pistol since the JB treatment?

Gary

Ragnarok
10-30-2011, 10:53 AM
I own a Weimer era 9mm Luger with a worn..rotten looking bore...one of my best shooting handguns...shoots better than a much better looking bored Mauser made P08.