PDA

View Full Version : LED Security device

alamogunr
09-07-2011, 10:49 AM
In a past thread on security, safes, etc, someone mentioned a simple(?) device that flashed a LED to simulate an alarm or some other security device. Does anyone remember it, or have a schematic that could be put together fairly inexpensively?

My safe and loading /casting stuff, not to mention all my tools, are in a detached shop. I worry about security every time we leave home. Until I can come up with a better solution, this seemed a doable stopgap. I have put together electronic circuits in the past when I was piddling with ham radio, but always with someone else's design. A circuit designer I am NOT.

Any help would be appreciated.

mtnman31
09-07-2011, 11:15 AM
I picked up a flashing LED at an electronics supply store for around 2 or 3 bucks. It just needed a 12v DC power source. I put it into one of my cars, so power was easy. The LED had the flash circuitry built in and required nothing but power. Works like a champ.

Link to something similar - http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062553

Edit ; Keep in mind that most LEDs will require around 5 volts DC. It'd be simple to wired up with batteries or maybe a wall adapter if it is the right voltage.

wiljen
09-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Why not buy an inexpensive IR motion sensor and a siren?

38Special
09-07-2011, 11:25 AM
My best alarms have been German Shephards. Never have had a security breach even in the worser neighborhoods.

cbrick
09-07-2011, 11:28 AM
Yep, Radio Shack or similiar place. And at the same place you should be able to get a stick on little sign that says something like . . . "protected by wireless camera and silent alarm".

Bet you can get out the door for under 5 bucks and at the very least it will give the "evil ones" something to think about.

Rick

markinalpine
09-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Besides a Radio Shack, you might also try a full service car wash, or just about any car parts store.
Mark :coffee:

Triggerhappy
09-07-2011, 11:31 PM
I much prefer the "Lead security device"...

alamogunr
09-07-2011, 11:54 PM
That's my deterrent when I'm at home.