PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! 303 Epps dies

Four Fingers of Death
09-07-2011, 10:00 AM
Who makes these?

scrapcan
09-07-2011, 10:11 AM
C-H tool and die makes them should be in the $80 to $85 USD range. (maybe BTSniper's discount thread would help you out with this vendor if it is still good).

RCBS lists them also not sure which category in their list but likely in the $150 range. item is 56325 from an old list I have. should be able to search that part number on their website.

Jansa Arms in your part of the world shows a 7/8 simplex die set for the 303 epps. Die series 7. Looks like about $140 Aus $.

Maybe someone here will have a spare set for you.

sav300
09-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Morning Mick,try EPPS gunshop,awhile back they offered a barrel and dies to me for a nice sum,but to import was a bloody hassle.

Four Fingers of Death
09-07-2011, 07:05 PM
There is a mob in South ASustralia that imports CH stuff. I have a few odds and ends by them. It is a feel good brand for me as I used to drool over their ads as a young un' I didn't understand what all of the stuff did, but I knew that I was going to end up being a reloader, 'Huh! anyone can buy ammo at the shop!' I remember saying to myself many, many times. lol

UPDATE: I just spoke to Barry (The Gunsmiths at Sefton), he said he just orders 303Epps dies in from RCBS. Jansa said that the dies are available from Simplex in the 7/8" series, $140 for a two die set, $205 for a three die set. It appears satisfying one's curiosity doesn't come cheap, HaHa!

heathydee
09-07-2011, 07:10 PM
What did you buy chambered for 303 Epps Mick ?

Euan
09-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Who makes these?

I have a set, Made by Simplex Australia, They are a good set of dies.
I don't know if they are still going. But you arn't too far away from them.
Cheers Euan.

Four Fingers of Death
09-07-2011, 11:09 PM
What did you buy chambered for 303 Epps Mick ?

I have a couple of SMLE sporters, just always been curious about it (well for the past ten years of so since I heard about it).

Euan, Simplex are still in business, I spoke to Bill Marden's son ( Bill is long gone, but I can't remember his son's name, I have a feeling it is Bill as well) a year or two ago when I was doing a bit of research and getting some gear for Floodgate. He said his business is mainly precision engineering (he does a lot of work for the US military, maily precision machining of castings for armoured vehicles, etc). He said he continues to produce reloading equipment for nostalgia's sake and the fact that it gets up the Government's nose. He is a bit if a character.

quasi
09-08-2011, 12:38 AM
getting a .303 Epps to feed from the magazine can be tricky.

no34570
09-08-2011, 01:14 AM
Hey Mick
Simplex still make 303 Epps,for I rang them early this year and spoke to Bill Jnr,about the same thing,if you want I have his number?
Some time this year or early next,I'm going to rebarrel my P14 that has a 303/25 barrel on it and change it to 303 Epps,or maybe trade it for Mosin 7.62x 54R.
The 303/25 barrel is in real good shape,to bad I don't want a 303/25.

Four Fingers of Death
09-08-2011, 01:33 AM
Hey Mick
Simplex still make 303 Epps,for I rang them early this year and spoke to Bill Jnr,about the same thing,if you want I have his number?
Some time this year or early next,I'm going to rebarrel my P14 that has a 303/25 barrel on it and change it to 303 Epps,or maybe trade it for Mosin 7.62x 54R.
The 303/25 barrel is in real good shape,to bad I don't want a 303/25.

Are you going to trade the barrel or just the rifle? I'm not clear on that.

no34570
09-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Are you going to trade the barrel or just the rifle? I'm not clear on that.
Probably neither mate,I don't know yet I might keep it and just rebarrel it and do the gun up,you know,cerracoat new stock,get the action all done up.

The previous owner chopped the stock/forend,so I will get a laminate stock from the US,off this bloke http://www.rifle-stocks.com/wildcatthumbhole.htm
There are some good laminate colours!
I will keep the 303/25 barrel and see if I can sell it,as I said,I don't know?:veryconfu

Four Fingers of Death
09-09-2011, 12:25 AM
Not bad deals on stocks there. I can't imagine a P14 with a flashy laminate stock though.

I went back and looked at their photo gallery, those guys who design American cars have been let loose designing rifle stocks, pretty bizarre!