PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever shoot 150 grn swc's in a 35 remington?

DanWalker
09-07-2011, 12:09 AM
Hey guys,
Just sitting here waiting for my Marlin 336 in 35 remmy to show up.
Has anyone here tried 150 grain swc's in a 35 rem? I'm thinking they might be pretty nice over 20 or so grains of 2400.
If a guy could get them to group well, I bet they'd be dandy on deer sized game. Any experience with this, or am I just wasting my time?

Larry Gibson
09-07-2011, 01:51 AM
I've shot lots of them. PB 358477s shoot well over 3.5 - 4.5 gr Bullseye upwards of 950 fps. GC'd 358156s shoot well upwards of 2000 fps. I've not tried 2400 yet though.

Larry Gibson

357Mag
09-07-2011, 01:54 AM
Dan -

Howdy !

Have not ran 150gr SWCs in either .357 cal; or .358 cal.
Did you mean 158s ? No ??

Here's info I CAN tell you, about shooting 150s ( J-type ), data which you may still find of use ?

I HAVE ran 150 J-word, in a variety of .35 calibre carbines and rifles.
I don't know you intended use for 150s shot from a M336, but I will share this:

My Marlin M336 XLR is stupid accurate w/ reduced loads.
For fun shoots and target work, I have had great results w/ 14.5gr Trailboss and Rem 9 1/2 Mag under the 150 J's.

Even better.... 18.6gr I4759 and CCI LR Mag under same bullet.

I'll soon be out of Rem 150s, and am thinking about potential use of 158SWCs.

I will say this:
- I use/shoot ONLY Remmy-brand .35 Rem brass

- I prep my .35 Rem brass utilizing benchrest brass prep practices & tools.

- My .35 Rem case necks receive a super-light " skim trim " outer neck turn....
just enough to remove " orange peel " effect seen on the brass

- I don't FL size the brass..... ever. New, virgin Remmy .35 Rem brass chambered
in my XLR just fine; w/o any FL case sizing

- I use a Lee "Collet" NS die w/ arbor turned-down .003" under factory spec

- The new .35 Rem Remmy brass recently received, had tighter necks from
the factory, than they did after sizing in Lee NS die w/ arbor turned .002" under

- For bullet seating, a Hornady universal-type bullet seater w/ .35 case holder
sleeve gets the nod. I turn the die back out of the press enough to defeat the
crimp function of the seater die. I shoot my loads single-shot mode, and un-
crimped

- I cull-out brass w/ oversize flash holes, but have to pay attention to whether
brass is " dated "; or is of a more recent generation. Older .35 Rem brass I
have.... has flash holes of nominal .078" diam. More recent .35 Rem brass
have .082" diam flash holes

- .35 Rem brass-based cartridges group better after flash holes get " reamed "
w/ a flash hole de-burr tool.

- If need be, I'll "shoulder bump" my brass using an ( RCBS ) .380 Auto FL die

- It takes me two firings ( typically ) before case' primer pockets stabilize out;
before no brass is removed by use of "primer pocket uniformer"

- I clean my barrel inside w/ Gunslick Foaming Bore cleaner, which makes gettin'
the XLR's "Ballard " rifling clean all the way down into the grooves... easy

- After cleaning, bore receives a patch soaked w/ Montana Extreme " Bore
Conditioner ".. First fouling shot is took " wet "

I'm considering trying-out use of .357 calibre "Plated" bullets ( 158s ), and also
perhaps 158gr ' swaged " SWCHP's

With regards,
357Mag

Bret4207
09-07-2011, 07:06 AM
I've shot 150-170 SWCs in mine. They work fine once you get the feeding figured. Remember to WRITE DOWN the COAL or you'll be like me having to go through the process over again.

My current fav is a 180 GC GB FN that drops more like 190 grs at about 1500 fps. Fun.

PatMarlin
09-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Here's a plain base 35 Rem Keith thumper for ya...

http://www.patmarlins.com/1remm.jpg

http://www.patmarlins.com/35PB1.jpg

http://www.patmarlins.com/35PBstock.jpg

http://www.patmarlins.com/fat35.jpg

PatMarlin
09-07-2011, 11:49 AM
I think that's gonna be my deer hammer of Thor this year... :mrgreen:

Poor little deers.

http://www.patmarlins.com/1950Marlin7.jpg

Jim_Fleming
09-07-2011, 02:09 PM
Good pix, Pat, all of em.

Since I chimed in, I'd like to ask a question ...

I have a Saeco 5 cavity mould that drops 200 gr. TC FB Boolits in .358 diameter. I have a very lovely T/C Contender Super 14 Barrel for 35 Remington. I'd like to play with some reduced loads. I have Herco on hand, I have Blue Dot on hand. Would it be permissible to ask for suggested starting loads in this combination?

Sent from my Droid

Ben
09-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Pat :

That is certainly some nice looking wood on that rifle.

Ben

uscra112
09-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Not a waste of time at all. It's one of the many advantages of the .35 Rem. Depending on hardness, you can load a subsonic round for plinking and/or chucks in the garden, or an accurate 2100 fps round (gas checks required) that will do for deer up to 150 yards or so.

BTW your Marlin, if it has a Microgroove barl, may want boolits sized .358 or even .359. Mine does.

PatMarlin
09-08-2011, 04:56 PM
That's a Ben stock restore on my circa 1950 first model 336 in 35 rem shown.

He's good with wood.

white eagle
09-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Pat
that load sure looks like fun !

PatMarlin
09-08-2011, 07:53 PM
Isn't that the coolest looking 35 Rem round? I had been wanting to do that for years.

izzyjoe
09-08-2011, 08:57 PM
i have shot a few of the Lee 158 rnfp's, and they seemed to shoot well. i just need to try some more.

bruce drake
09-09-2011, 12:25 AM
I'm going to be spinning on a 358 Winchester barrel on a Mauser action this fall and those 148gr SWC bullets are one of my planned loads. The other is a 158gr RN Tumble Lube. Both will be for rabbit/pest/plinking but I may develop a heavier bullet load with a RCBS-200 mold in the future although I've got a ton of projects to catch back up on shortly.

Bruce

PatMarlin
09-09-2011, 10:14 AM
Oh the 358 Winchester is a Cast Boolit golden god. Don't forget the 245gr Saeco mold. If you want to get spoiled on cast shooting 358 winney is the one to do it.

Ben
09-09-2011, 10:19 AM
If you want to get spoiled on cast shooting 358 winney is the one to do it.

I'll 2nd, 3rd and 4th that comment ! !

Here is my Ruger # 1, 358 Win :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=100428

TXGunNut
09-11-2011, 02:57 PM
Please tell us about that boolit, Pat.
Stumbled upon a 336 in 35 Remington just last year, it's been on my wish list ever since I bought a T/C Contender in that caliber over 20 yrs ago. Late model, 98% gun but what it lacks in character it makes up for in smooth. 8-)
It's doing OK on a j-word bullet diet but it's on my cast boolit project list, was thinking 200 gr pb but would consider something lighter. As much as I love shooting hogs with my .45-70 I think my new 336 will do nicely on them.
Rifle there yet, Dan?

PatMarlin
09-11-2011, 03:04 PM
That is from a Cast Boolits LEE group by mold of an Elmer Keith 358429 design, researched by some CB members here to be of the very closest Keith specs known to exist. Done some years ago.

Gas Checked with a Patmarlins 35PB Checkmaker™ die set.

TXGunNut
09-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Thanks, Pat. Am putting together a Midway order today and now I know not to bother looking for it there.:wink: For some reason I'm hesitating on the edge of the GC cliff but since I have a .35 Rem and a thutty-thutty on my CB project list I'm sure we'll be talking soon.

PatMarlin
09-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Good pix, Pat, all of em.

Since I chimed in, I'd like to ask a question ...

I have a Saeco 5 cavity mould that drops 200 gr. TC FB Boolits in .358 diameter. I have a very lovely T/C Contender Super 14 Barrel for 35 Remington. I'd like to play with some reduced loads. I have Herco on hand, I have Blue Dot on hand. Would it be permissible to ask for suggested starting loads in this combination?

Sorry I missed your question Jim and I don't know if it was directed at me but this is what I would suggest:

Follow Richard LEE's advice from "Modern Reloading" (second addition only) regarding formulating reduced loads for cast boolits safely starting on page 105...

"A very conservative guide line would be to limit charge reduction to 20% for the slowest powder on the Burning Rate Chart (he's refering to the burning rate chart listed in his book which is an extensive list of common powders). You may increase the reduction by 1% for each preceeding 30 powders on the chart. Limit total reduction to 50% for the rest except for greatly reduced squib loads. Load these with a very fast but extremely light load."

That is just a small quote from it, but that info has never failed me.

DanWalker
09-11-2011, 07:13 PM
I'm going to be spinning on a 358 Winchester barrel on a Mauser action this fall and those 148gr SWC bullets are one of my planned loads. The other is a 158gr RN Tumble Lube. Both will be for rabbit/pest/plinking but I may develop a heavier bullet load with a RCBS-200 mold in the future although I've got a ton of projects to catch back up on shortly.

Bruce
I had a neat load in my 35 whelen that consisted of a 148 grain HBWC loaded backwards over a charge of 1.5 grains of bullseye. I filled the case the rest of the way up with tumbling media, up to the base of the case neck. It was about as loud as a pellet rifle. I once belly crawled into a prairie dog town with this in the chamber, and when mr PD appeared, I shot him at about 25 yards. Results were quite impressive.
In answer to the other question, no Rifle isn't here yet. Just sent money order and FFL on Tuesday. Gent I bought rifle from had not received them yet as of yesterday. Hoping to have rifle in my hot little hands by next weekend.
I'm hoping to put a swc through an antelope with it in the very near future.

Jim_Fleming
09-12-2011, 09:14 AM
Thanks Pat. It was just a question directed towards the topic. I have done just that with my copy of Modern Reloading edition two. Plus I found a very nice load that should work in my Lyman Manual edition 46.

It's appreciated, sir!

Sorry I missed your question Jim and I don't know if it was directed at me but this is what I would suggest:

Follow Richard LEE's advice from "Modern Reloading" (second addition only) regarding formulating reduced loads for cast boolits safely starting on page 105...

"A very conservative guide line would be to limit charge reduction to 20% for the slowest powder on the Burning Rate Chart (he's refering to the burning rate chart listed in his book which is an extensive list of common powders). You may increase the reduction by 1% for each preceeding 30 powders on the chart. Limit total reduction to 50% for the rest except for greatly reduced squib loads. Load these with a very fast but extremely light load."

That is just a small quote from it, but that info has never failed me.

Sent from my Droid