PDA

View Full Version : Two Cavity Mould Question

caseyboy
09-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Is there any problem with casting using only one cavity from a two cavity mould? Was thinking of removing the GC shank from one, then only casting what I needed from the appropiate cavity.

plainsman456
09-06-2011, 09:14 PM
It is done all the time,just make sure the mould is heated right then you should have no problems.

stubshaft
09-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Nope, usually you get better accuracy (less deviation) by using only one cavity.

beagle
09-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Nothing wrong with that at all. In fact, with small blocks and large cavities such as the 500 grain .45s, you get better, more filled out bullets and it's even possible if your have metal working facilities to make sprue plates to cover the unused cavity to make things neater./beagle

geargnasher
09-08-2011, 01:52 PM
I've done it many times. Just keep the pace up so the mould stays hot enough.

Gear

Sonnypie
09-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Do Note that your production will go down fully 50% by using only 1 of two cavities. :groner:

(WOW, Ima jeanious!) :kidding: [smilie=s:

Wally
09-08-2011, 05:14 PM
For years I used double cavity molds--then I bought two used single cavity..I expected the worst: slow production...but I kept track and found that my production rate was much more that 50% when using a dual cavity vs a single. Seems that I had less cool down time with one.

With a dual cavity the first cast freezes faster than the second...so you have to wait a bit for it to freeze. With a single cavity you can adjust the melt temperature to get an quicker freeze rate, so your production rate increases. You cannot do so with a dual cavity as the mold will not fill right.

caseyboy
09-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Thanks guys. Just what I figured, just wanted to pass it by the "knowledge pool".