PDA

View Full Version : Contender trouble !

blaser.306
09-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Well the contender crapped out on me again on Sunday ! The first time it caused me grief it was the safety interlock that had failed. This time trying to be a nice guy at the range I let a couple of newcomers try a couple of shots or so I thought , The first two went downrange without a hitch . The next guy in line managed to get one round off and reload , Then nothing ! The trigger would not release the hammer? So after coming home and doing a thourough post mortem, it would appear that the "legs" both snapped off of the striker spring . I talked to the Canadian warranty depot today and will be receiving replacement parts in the mail by weeks end! Is there any other problem parts that a person should know about to have spares in his/her range bag to avoid range day trouble with Contender and or Encore platform type pistols !

aaalaska
09-06-2011, 08:57 PM
I've got a few frames contender & encore , started with them in the 70's and aside from the need to change hammer springs every 10- 15 years I have had zero problems with any of the TC's I've owned.
Alex

stubshaft
09-06-2011, 09:47 PM
My Tender trauma kit consists of extra hammer springs and a slave pin to install them. Over 30 years of messing with them and that is the only thing I've really had to change.

leadman
09-06-2011, 11:33 PM
Same here, just one hammer spring in 15 years on 3 Contender frames.

Tatume
09-09-2011, 07:04 AM
The firing-pin return spring should be changed out one in a while.

Four Fingers of Death
09-09-2011, 08:51 AM
Sounds like Blaser has a new one.

ButcheN
09-09-2011, 09:39 AM
sounds like I need a hammer spring and a firing-pin return spring! I have had my baby for 30 years+ and I only have one frame never saw the need for more than one, but I have never had to put any thing on her but a trigger holding pin and a bolt for the grip (well a lot of grip bolts) in my younger and dumber days I had to have the most power out at the range with my 45-70 and a 444. just have the 45-70 now and a boat load of other smaller, easier on the hand rounds. got an encore for the bad stuff now. so my little girl can just shoot the lighter stuff. but I need to get those springs and maybe put them in now and not wait on them to go bad.

thanks

ps: ain't it funny how those litter buggers multiply!!! It's like rabbits or something............

blaser.306
09-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Sounds like Blaser has a new one.

Nope not a new one ! It is the old knuckle buster , hard opening good trigger model with a 5 digit S/N . I received my repacement spring "package" today and did the re install and all is good again .:bigsmyl2: For now anyway ??? [smilie=l:

blaser.306
09-09-2011, 07:49 PM
ButcheN , I know what you mean about "reproducing ! I started off with a 7mm tcu and a .22 rimfire both in 10" I at last looky found that there was a 10" .357 herrett , 14" .30 herrett , 14" .445 supermag , 7mm rimmed International , 14" .357 max , and a 14" .44 mag I am almost afraid to open the gunsafe any more !!! But I guess that I will have to check every once in a while , The little fellas goto be fed every now and then !

ButcheN
09-09-2011, 08:07 PM
blaser.306: how do you like that 7mm rimmed international? and what case is it based on? Oh and if you need some 7mm tcu loaded rounds I got 20 you can have. PM if you do.

Four Fingers of Death
09-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Nope not a new one ! It is the old knuckle buster , hard opening good trigger model with a 5 digit S/N . I received my repacement spring "package" today and did the re install and all is good again .:bigsmyl2: For now anyway ??? [smilie=l:

I just got that impression when you said you were talking to the warranty guys at T/C.

I quiet like my Encore and the concept generally. Trouble is, the new barrels are dearer than a Remington SPS rifle and wayyyyyy dearer than most other cheapies.

There is an older Contender in 5.6x whatever Rimmed (I can't remember the exact title, but it is a bit bigger or small than the 222 Magnum, but rimmed), It has beautiful fancy wood, but is $AU1500! T/Cs both new and old are always as dear as poison here.

blaser.306
09-10-2011, 05:18 PM
blaser.306: how do you like that 7mm rimmed international? and what case is it based on? Oh and if you need some 7mm tcu loaded rounds I got 20 you can have. PM if you do.

I love the 7mm rimmed ( developed by Elgin Gates ) it shoots flat and hits hard !It is based on the 30/30 winchester case and is quite simmilar to the 7/30 waters with less body taper a sharper shoulder and longer neck. No question that the silywet will go down even with a marginal hit, I am shooting the noe 150gr hunter sized to .285 and lubed with c-red over a 28 gr charge of wc735 ball powder (5% faster ) than H335and a fed #210 primer. And contrary to what has been said many times before, it burns clean at that reduced charge !!! And thanks for the offer of the 7tc rounds but I think we would both be inviting unnecasary problems trying to ship them anywhere let alone across the US Canadian border !!! :castmine:

ButcheN
09-10-2011, 08:19 PM
........................ And thanks for the offer of the 7tc rounds but I think we would both be inviting unnecasary problems trying to ship them anywhere let alone across the US Canadian border !!! :castmine:

oops didn't see that, well I tried to be nice lol..........thanks for the info on that round......

aaalaska
09-12-2011, 03:16 AM
Hope you have as little trouble as I've had from here on.
Please tell me how does the government on your side of the border treat contender, encore , type fire arms. Since I have to cross the border to reach the lower 48 this is of some interest.I love the Alcan long but beautiful , and the drive across the flat provinces is very different for us, but when going hunting I just fly. No borders to deal with.
Alex

Four Fingers of Death
09-12-2011, 06:03 AM
One cartridge that sounds good is the 6.5 Bench Rest Magnum or whatever it is called. It was developed for Encores and Contenders. Based on an improved 30/30 case. Punches above it's weight from what I hear.