PDA

View Full Version : targets for testing handguns

subsonic
09-06-2011, 05:30 PM
In my attempts to test iron sighted handguns from the bench for accuracy, I have found that using the correct shape, size, and color of target can make a big difference, especially as range increases.

At whatever range you are trying to test, it's much easier to see the orientation of the front and rears sights, or more specifically the amount of space between the front sight post and rear sight notch, if you have a large light colored background that contrasts with the *ususually* black sights. Of course most ranges I have shot at have dark colored target backers. The range I have a membership at uses BLACK backers! For 25yds, a piece of white 8.5x11" printer paper is enough when turned sideways. At 50yds, I just about need double that, and at 100yds, double it again. So yes, a roughly 4ft wide, light colored target works great at 100yds for me. I like 4ft square cardboard pieces leftover from incoming pallets at my work.

Now on to the actual aiming point, or "target" itself. I like the target to be black. Orange or red works OK, but black is better for me. Dark blue is not bad either. Ideally, I want the target width to be similar to the area the front sight covers at the range I am testing. At 25yds, a rectangle or square about 5" wide is good for the guns I've been testing - most with barrels near 5" and factory front sights. I will double the aiming point size as range doubles. Stapling a solid colored playing card face down to a piece of printer paper works pretty good at 25yds. Making a target in microsoft word using the drawing menu is best so far. It's easy to make a box, size it, fill it in black, locate it on the page using gridlines, and then save and print it. I can't say that it's easy on printer cartridges though!

I also prefer to shoot using a 6 o'clock hold where the target floats on the front sight. I have been finding it difficult to find the exact same amount of light between the front sight and aiming point, so I'm open to suggestions for a way to perfect that.

I have seen some targets that look like an inverted "T". I'm not sure what the vertical leg helps with vs the square I like, unless it allows for the same size target at any range by centering on the vertical leg. I doubt that.

I have used a target in the past that was a pair of solid black triangles next to each other sort of like this:

/\/\

You float that on top of the front sight and try to center the front sight where the triangles meet at the center. It works better with scopes I think, but still works well with iron sights.

I haven't played much with red-dot sights, but it seems like a circle that you can fit the dot in tightly would be ideal. I have used a paper plate with a 3" shoot-n-see in the middle at 100yds.... problem was that the 4moa dot covered the shoot-n-see completely! I have since tried just the plate and had results that were better or as good as having the shoot-n-see in the middle.

If you open microsoft word and get into the drawing menu, then use auto-shapes, there are lots of targets you can make very quickly and easily.

fecmech
09-06-2011, 08:24 PM
For load testing with Red Dot sights I use a black bullseye that's bigger than the dot and turn the dot brightness down so you're almost looking through the dot. That gives you excellent dot definition and the larger bull lets you center the dot. A bright dot obscures the edges and makes them fuzzy. My $.02

williamwaco
09-06-2011, 08:45 PM
At 25yds, a rectangle or square about 5" wide is good for the guns I've been testing - most with barrels near 5" and factory front sights. I will double the aiming point size as range doubles. Stapling a solid colored playing card face down to a piece of printer paper works pretty good at 25yds. Making a target in microsoft word using the drawing menu is best so far. It's easy to make a box, size it, fill it in black, locate it on the page using gridlines, and then save and print it. I can't say that it's easy on printer cartridges though!

You are a genius!

I make a 5" black square with a 3" white center In MS Word and use it for my 25 yard target. For 15 yards I use the same square but half as large - Printed two on a page instead of one.

At 50 yards I use the 15 yard target but at 50 yards, I always use a scope.

MtGun44
09-09-2011, 01:50 AM
Try a black equilateral triangle with the point down, about 2-4" on a side is good. Put the
tip of the point as the point of aim and you will be surprised how fine a sight picture
it makes with this tiny tip centered on the top of the front sight.

Bill

Groo
09-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Groo here
I tried an upside down T with post sights...

Old Caster
09-09-2011, 08:35 PM
Subsonic, Look at the targets that are available at American Target. Along with other friends we make buys of targets in the range of $600 at a time. Consequently all of the targets that we buy are in the 1000 price range. I have all of the bullseye pistol targets in 50 feet, 25 yards, and 50 yards slow and timed fire. If you want any, let me know and we can get together. You can have them for the 1000 price even if you only buy a few because I am not in this to make money. Notice, the 25 and 50 yard bullseye repair centers are only about 4.5 cents apiece. Shipping on the whole works is only about $5 so it is insignificant.-- Bill --

subsonic
09-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Groo here
I tried an upside down T with post sights...

How do you like it? When I tried it I could find no advantage over the square for my eyes.

Old Caster, we should shoot together sometime. The ranges are starting to fill up already for pre-deer season...
Thanks for the offer on the targets.

crabo
09-10-2011, 12:21 AM
I go to Office Depot to make my targets when they require a lot of heavy toner. Saves a lot on my printer cartridges.

I have also used white poster board. I will make a template out of another piece of poster board and spray through the cutouts with flat black paint. Cheap enough and you can put a lot of aiming points on the poster board to cut down on your walking.

I'm going to try the upside down triangle.

MtGun44
09-10-2011, 01:10 AM
The upside down T works very well for me at 50 yds with open sights. The upside down
triangle is perfect for my eyes at 25 yds, not quite as good at 50, at least for me, it
needs to be a good bit bigger at 50.

If I use 1.5" wide lines for the upside down T, I get excellent consistency testing open
sighted guns at that range. I make the bottom horizontal line about 8" wide although
less would be OK.

I have not tried finer lines at 25yds, but it should help to use about 3/4" thick lines at
25 yds. I really like the point down triangle at about 3" for 25 yds open sights.

Bill

fivegunner
09-10-2011, 05:25 AM
a upside down T 1 1/2 inch thick works the best . I cut a old street sign for a template and now just spray paint the targets with flat black. [smilie=2::Fire:

subsonic
09-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Using a template and spray paint is a great idea for the longer range targets where you need a large area of solid color. I am going to try that!

My thoughts on the upside down triangle are that as range increases it will be hard to find the point and maintain consistent elevation. You need something flat across the bottom which yeilds the T or pair of right side up black triangles that leave a "triangle" of background color between them pointing down.

MtGun44
09-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Larger triangle works OK at 50, but I prefer the triangle at 25 yds. The 1.5" thick inverted
T works extremely well for me with open sights at 50.

Bill

lbaize3
09-11-2011, 07:20 PM
I use a bunch of different red dots. I simply determine at what range I will most often use the weapon and then sight it in so that the bullet hits right at the top center of the red dot. Beyond that chosen range, I simply cover the target with the red dot. Of course if the range is long enough that the bullet will hit below the red dot, I will have to use the dot size to determine how high above the target I have to hold (one dot, two dots, etc.).

NoZombies
09-12-2011, 12:38 AM
For me, white circle outlined in Black has proven to give me the most consistent results at 25 yards, often equating to groups 1/2 the size of a black centered target in a white field. I need to test the targets at 50 and 100 to see how they do at those ranges.