PDA

View Full Version : Value you of an all matching number Mosin Nagant ex sniper?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-06-2011, 04:51 PM
What is the value of an all matching numbers Mosin Nagant ex-sniper? This one has the correct sniper stampings above the Tula 1944 star.

Trigger is the most crispest Mosin Trigger I have ever felt.

Gtek
09-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Bent bolt-straight bolt? Holes weleded over on left side of rec? Bore condition? Stock condition?
Matching #'s- stamped or etched? That is a big question. Shy of a buck to several bills. Gtek

ilcop22
09-06-2011, 09:22 PM
+1 to Gtek. We need a lot more info (pics help) to give you an idea.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Bent bolt-straight bolt? Holes welded over on left side of rec? Bore condition? Stock condition?
Matching #'s- stamped or etched? That is a big question. Shy of a buck to several bills. Gtek

Straight bolt - close examination reveals it's an original bolt with the bolt converted from bent to straight. You can see marks where they reworked it on the bolt handle shaft.

Holes - are plugged, but screws/bolts appear to have been used to plug the holes. Can't see if they are welded over or not. Have to go back and ask to take barreled action out of stock.

Bore condition - bore is dirty and needs cleaning, so it's hard to tell, but lands are square, not heavily rounded off and grooves are deep. I think with electric bore cleaner application, this bore should clean up nicely and be a great shooter. Not sure about shiney without cleaning.

Stock condition - stock is a replacement stock, not a plugged stock. It's new condition and has that nice grain of arctic birch that a lot of the Finn stocks have under the red shellac.

Matching numbers - are all stamped and appear to be the original markings - they have that hurried look. None are the force matched line through you see on many reworked Mosins. Even the buttplate matches. Lots of stampings you don't see on most Mosins.

Other markings - this rifle has the C and weird cryllic letter that stands for P just above the Tula star. The year date under the Tula star is 1944.

Trigger - is exceptional, better than some of my US rifles. Certainly the crispest Mosin I ever squeezed, including my Finn Mosins. Breaks like a glass rod snapping.

Serial Number - is two cryllic numbers followed by 25.

I'll try to get some pics and post them.

ilcop22
09-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Is this a rifle you're looking to buy or sell? Given what you've said, it doesn't have any collector's value left to it. I wouldn't put much more than a hundred on it. It has a great stock and sounds like a great trigger... But it's still a reworked 91/30 with importation marks and not in it's original configuration. That said, it's not worth a premium. I have $80 91/30s with matching serials; one a dragoon and the other an MO. If you're looking to buy and it's several hundred just because it's an ex-sniper, I'd pass. Just my 2 cents.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-06-2011, 11:22 PM
Where you going to find a 91/30 without importation marks?

ilcop22
09-07-2011, 01:20 AM
It's possible, and they are highly sought after by collectors. The bottom line is ex-snipers fetch about $150 bucks at auction, even with matching serial numbers. MN's just aren't worth that much. They made over 17,000,000 91/30s, after all... Not including all the 91s they converted or those they rebuilt. Again, though, just my opinion. Someone may come along and disagree.

Dutchman
09-07-2011, 07:02 AM
It's possible, and they are highly sought after by collectors. The bottom line is ex-snipers fetch about $150 bucks at auction, even with matching serial numbers. MN's just aren't worth that much. They made over 17,000,000 91/30s, after all... Not including all the 91s they converted or those they rebuilt. Again, though, just my opinion. Someone may come along and disagree.

No disagree. I think you pegged it.

Dutch

WILCO
09-07-2011, 08:39 AM
Straight bolt - close examination reveals it's an original bolt with the bolt converted from bent to straight. You can see marks where they reworked it on the bolt handle shaft.

Sniper rifles have a bent bolt. :mrgreen:

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Sniper rifles have a bent bolt. :mrgreen:

What part of "ex-sniper" did someone fail to read in my original post? :awesome:

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-07-2011, 04:58 PM

That's what they said about M1 Garands and M1 Carbines too.

Gtek
09-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Dave you asked, we all answered very nice. Sounds like you need to go buy it then, education is never free! Gtek

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Just sold it for $180.00 to a Russian guy who asked about all the markings and wanted pics too. Evidently he thought it was okay. Appears to depend on whose looking at it. This guy is an Russian immigrant who owns a bunch of Mosins. Hard to understand him, really heavy accent.

I believe he's looking for a shooter, not a collector's gun necessarily. Based on the bore condition, he'll be real happy with it. Was hard for me to let it go. Exceptional rifle in one's hands. Can't see that in the pics.

I was going to ask $220.00, but you guys talked me down.

Take care,

Dave

Gtek
09-07-2011, 09:24 PM
Sorry, thought you were buying not selling. You did well! Gtek

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Sorry, thought you were buying not selling. You did well! Gtek

If I'd told ya that, you wouldn't of been blunt and brutally honest. With getting that information, I was able to price the gun at a reasonable selling point while not running off an interested buyer. It's a little higher than "market," but the one thing I can't show you on the forum is how the gun "feels." It really is exceptional. I picked it up in a multi gun trade and if my wife wasn't pressuring me to reduce the inventory and get some truck cash to pay off the truck I bought from my son, I woulda kept it and got some major range time off of it.

And she's majorly onto me about some Pietta CFT 44 - "Griswald & Grier 1851 Reb Army"/"Reb Confederate" variation of the 1851 Navy replica I picked up two of. Those things look like they're a hundred years old, beautiful patina, but the bores look like they just rolled off the production line. The original owner said he shot them once or twice, cleaned them and stuck them in the closet, creating a time warp gun. Looks old with a barrel that looks brand new inside. Still has the bluing inside the bore. I have two of them, they look and feel beautiful and I don't want to sell them. But again, this truck I bought /took over from my son so he could go to Columbia University in NYC is taking priority over my gun addiction habits.

Dang,

Dave:D

Gtek
09-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Now I feel used! hehe- May the FORCE be with you. Good Luck. Gtek

MtGun44
09-10-2011, 10:56 PM
unimportant bit of additional info - no such thing as "cyrillic numbers", they use Arabic numbers
just like we do. So those would have been cyrillic letters.

Bill

frkelly74
09-10-2011, 11:07 PM
$180 or so is what I see in shops around here for plugged hole X-snipers.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-10-2011, 11:26 PM
unimportant bit of additional info - no such thing as "cyrillic numbers", they use Arabic numbers
just like we do. So those would have been cyrillic letters.

Bill

I reckon I'm just not that sophisticated or I'm just bushed from taking care of my 89 YO father. He's showed up to my house in bad health, can't go home and don't realize it and the doctor is doing the full court press trying to get him to be at least as healthy as he can be at his age.

Dave