PDA

View Full Version : Throat reaming results, and question.

wallenba
09-06-2011, 12:11 PM
I finished reaming the cylinder throats in my Ruger New Model Vaquero this morning. I've been meaning to do this for a while now, and decided to do it before working on anyone elses gun.
What I notice now, is that the reamer flutes seemed to have passed over some existing low areas and no material was removed there. I'm not really concerned, but curious as to whether this is unusual or not. What manufacturing process at the factory could account for that kind of problem in the first place?
They now slug
.4525, but I find a few spots on the slugs that read .4530. Very little material was needed to be removed and it went very fast. Much faster than my Blackhawk did.
[smilie=f:

tek4260
09-06-2011, 01:26 PM
The problem was that the throats were not round. Ruger used a gang reamer on the large frame revolvers so egg shaped throats aren't uncommon. I believe one of the reasons the new mid frame guns shoot so well is that Ruger had to use an indexing reamer due to size of the cylinder. Therefore, they are at least consistent.

wallenba
09-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Gang reamer huh. I can envision it happening now. I was a bit perplexed, thanks for the explanation Tek.

akajun
09-07-2011, 08:07 AM
I found the same thing, even worse, in some of my smiths. Read the post I made here
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=90453

MtGun44
09-09-2011, 02:05 AM
This is why I recommend at least trying .001 or .002 larger than will push through the throats.
In a world with round boolits and round throats, this should not be necessary, but -
guess what - not all boolits are round and neither are all throats.

Bill