PDA

View Full Version : Mold handles/fit what molds?????

Willyp
09-06-2011, 03:16 AM
I have 3 sets of handles and have no idea what they would fit! I measured them:
The metal is 1/4" thick/the flats are 3/8" wide[where the mold goes on]
The flats [ears] are 1&3/8" long
Center of the screw hole is 1/2" to the center,from the tip of the ear
I believe they are cast.
Any ideas of what they fit? Single or double molds?
I don't have any molds to try to fit them onto!

justingrosche
09-06-2011, 04:26 AM
Instead of going through all of my mold handles and trying to match up the dimensions, how about posting a picture so atleast we can narrow it down to a couple manufactures.
But the clue of them being cast would lead me to believe they are either Lyman or Saeco.

Calamity Jake
09-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Need pics

Willyp
09-06-2011, 03:32 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_44914e6675161aac1.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=2049)

Harter66
09-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Those look a lot like Lyman's to me.

I could offer a new home for a pair of them, you know if you have no use for them.

justingrosche
09-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Lyman or Ideal
Left to right : 2 cavity, single cavity. 2 cavity

geargnasher
09-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Ideal, probably. They all look like single cavity handles to me, I have a couple of them and they don't fit modern Lyman double-cavity mould blocks but fit Ideal SC moulds. The difference as far as I can tell is the span between the pin holes. Also have an aluminum set that have ebony handles and look like the set on the far right, they only fit RCBS moulds though.

Gear

GP100man
09-06-2011, 09:32 PM
The 2 on the left are definitely Lyman , dunno `bout the far rite ones , the pin looks a little funny to me & where the handles attach is too straight .

The probem with Lyman is the different sizes of molds.

armoredman
09-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Hmm, I just bought a Lyman single cavity mold used...and no handles...

Willyp
09-07-2011, 03:53 AM
I have not cast a bullet in over 10 years!!!! Retirement is due me shortly and i love shooting. All i've had was Lee molds and decided to get some better better molds. I bought a box of casting items.I just jumped on them ,with out looking?I had no idea what the stuff was? Turns out to be older hand gun molds and jackets. I sold them on here. Hand guns are something i've never had.
From the box of items,i have the handles,a 45 lubber, a Lee melter,Ideal 270,35 and 44 gas checks. These checks are of no use to me! The handles,i figured would fit a new Lyman mold,i have coming or a used one,if i could find one? Dumb as i am,i thought the handles were a standardized item! Baloney!!!!!
What i have remembered is,the handles,on the right,aluminum cast and had a Herters 357 double mold on them.
I can't sell the handles? I don't know what they fit??????? No one near me cast,to try them out on molds to see? I ordered new handles for my new mold.

armoredman
09-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Well, if one set will fit a Lyman single cavity mold, maybe I can offer a few pennies? If You take pennies, that is. :)

09-07-2011, 10:13 AM
"I can't sell the handles? I don't know what they fit???????"

Willyp,
Click on the Swappin & Sellin sub-forum, to sell your handles, either individually or as a lot. Be sure to include the above picture.

badbob454
09-07-2011, 10:20 AM
sell them as miscellanious handles with a picture by a ruler and let the buyer measure for himself

MikeS
09-07-2011, 02:02 PM
They look like single cavity mould handles. I've modified several sets of single cavity handles to be able to use two cavity moulds in them, and as modified they work every bit as good as ones originally designed for two cavity moulds. It looks like the far right handles are made from aluminium, rather than cast iron.

GP100man
09-08-2011, 07:05 AM
When ya take ya second pic the important number is the distance between the pin holes with the handles closed all the way , well 1 of the important numbers .