PDA

View Full Version : handgun scope question

sergeant69
09-06-2011, 01:59 AM
i mounted an ULTRA DOT FOUR red dot scope on my S&W 629, loaded up some 240 gr GDHP over 24grs of H110. at 60 yds it is dead on and hits like a hammer. but after only 8 rds i saw that the scope had slid forward until the "housing"? that encloses the wind/elev. turrets had stopped against the forward ring. the rear of the scope tube is flush w/the rear scope ring. when i mounted the scope i heeded advice i got here on this site to not over tighten the scope rings as they might crush the scope tube, but i DID put some good pressure on the screws none the less. i sighted the scope in using my cast boolits, which were a medium load and the scope stayed in place. i have no problems just leaving the scope where it is as i still get a good site picture but will repeated pounding (recoil) damage the scope as it is stopped against a ring, or should i reposition it and just tighten the hell outta the clamp screws and hope it doesn't hurt the tube? THANKS

Ben
09-06-2011, 10:26 AM
Why don't you make a quick phone call to the company and see what they say ?

If anyone would know the answer to your question, I think it would be the company that made the scope.

bobthenailer
09-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Im hoping you are useing the alinumin split rings that comes with the ultradot ,as the aluminum rings usually hold better than most steel rings .
Do not let the ring butt aganist the turret this will cause problems later on . the variable dot weighs a little more than the regular ultradot, if thers room try useing a 3ed ring this should correct your problem . ive done the 3 ring mounting on several hard kicking handguns with good results.

sergeant69
09-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Why don't you make a quick phone call to the company and see what they say ?

If anyone would know the answer to your question, I think it would be the company that made the scope.

duh! why not do this? because it makes too much sense thats why. in any case, thanks for the suggestion, and i DID call em. the west coast branch in CA, and spoke w/a super nice helpful guy that answered the phone. no "for english press 1 ****" etc. he said its a common question covered in their FAQ section on their website. his advice is to mount the rings as close to the middle of the scope as possible and YES, to butt the housing up against the ring(s), and never to put the ring(s) over the lenses. says the housing is designed/made to withstand the recoil. said if the gap between the top and bottom of the rings closes (around the tube) you have tightened the rings too tight. THANKS

sergeant69
09-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Im hoping you are useing the alinumin split rings that comes with the ultradot ,as the aluminum rings usually hold better than most steel rings .
Do not let the ring butt aganist the turret this will cause problems later on . the variable dot weighs a little more than the regular ultradot, if thers room try useing a 3ed ring this should correct your problem . ive done the 3 ring mounting on several hard kicking handguns with good results.

yes i'm using the aluminum rings that came w/the set-up. as far as adding a 3rd ring...just eyeballing it it would be close. will dig out the calipers soon and find out for sure. don't see how it could hurt if theres room. thanks for reply!

Ben
09-06-2011, 07:00 PM
sergeant69

Here's hoping you can quickly resolve your mounting problem.

Ben

sergeant69
09-06-2011, 11:44 PM
BEN.......it did get resolved (so far anyway). and yes, i'm embarrassed it was so simple, being a firm believer in the KISS method. thanks again guys.

Ben
09-07-2011, 12:11 PM
All is well that ends well..............