PDA

View Full Version : Real Value of Sn ingot?

09-06-2011, 12:24 AM
RotoMetals sells for $17+ per pound. What is realistic value to boolit casters?

evan price
09-06-2011, 06:10 AM
?? what do you mean ??

If you need it, you need it.

Virgin alloy prices are higher than scrap sources and that's always going to be the case.

I just don't understand the drift of what your thread is asking.

Do you have a line on a lot of tin you want to sell... do you want to cast and worry about low tin content of your alloy... what's going on?

09-06-2011, 09:32 AM
I am trying to establish a value as a trading basis.

Example: On another older thread, it was mentioned that 63/37 Solder sold for $5...and wheel weight ingot for $1. ... a 5 to 1 ratio. This established a trade basis. At that time, I needed some solder, so I traded 25 lbs for 5 lbs.

I am trying to do the same for pure Sn. I have some extra...and I do not want to over value the Sn ingot I have. If no one needs Sn, then there is really no trade value at this time. No big deal.

fryboy
09-06-2011, 09:44 AM
current market value fluctuates sadly or perhaps thankfully ( depends if you're selling or buying lolz ) tin took a hit went from about $15 a pound to around $10 , here's the site i use for current metal value

http://www.metalprices.com/

where today's value is 10.85 a # ( that also translates to 50/50 solder being worth $5.50 for the tin and $.50+ for the lead or $6-ish ) there is a difference between buying it at someplace like rotometals or midway ( small coronary waiting to happen lolz ) and selling it , sadly for selling it your choices are limited ,mostly to scrap yards , to us or running an add somewhere , we wont even mention what scrap yards will give for it ( but be ready to be offended if you take it there - just sayin' )

09-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Roger that, Fryboy.

If anyone needs some Tin, send me a PM. We'll work out something...

lwknight
09-06-2011, 08:23 PM
The going rate is the price. Not just anyone can find $5.00 63/37 solder. Its a lucky and rare find.
Just because a few people find a good deal , its not going to lower the market price.
If you have good luck be thankful otherwise just suck it up.