PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing today

waksupi
01-27-2007, 08:57 PM
We needed a change of pace today, so we got together for some ice fishing. This is at Bitteroot Lake, west of Kalispell about 20 miles. I caught three itty bitty salmon, and we probably had a couple dozen between all of us. A beautiful day on the ice. All kinds of bizarre home made ice fishing shacks were out there, a couple planes landed on the lake to fish.

JeffinNZ
01-27-2007, 09:17 PM
It all looks frightfully civilised albeit a little brisk.

fatnhappy
01-28-2007, 12:32 AM
a couple planes landed on the lake to fish.

Trolling?[smilie=1:

Not enough ice here, yet. Been single digits all week though.

waksupi
01-28-2007, 12:53 AM
Well, there was a guy with a four wheeler, pulling some people around in a boat, at high speed. We figured THEY were probably trolling.

fatnhappy
01-28-2007, 02:27 AM
I fired up the power auger last week. Only a matter of time until the walleyes are frozen in milk. :drinks:

Bret4207
01-28-2007, 07:44 AM
Close as I've got to ice fishing this year is plucking horse turds outta the trough. I did have to fish a couple of nice 16" ash logs out of a crick when a chain broke. I suppose thats "fishing".

Looks like you had a nice day for it anyways. Where's the Coleman with the pot of chili and the "mouthwash" to chase it with?

C1PNR
01-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Oh, Wow! What a difference in Latitude, or is it Longitude?

Yesterday, I went GOLFING with my Brother and our friend from Seattle.

We teed off at Noon and the temp finally got up to maybe 44º, but the sun was shining and there was almost no wind, so it felt more like 50º!

We all had a HECK of a good game, especially since we hadn't played for a few months.

We had a gorgeous day, just like yours! I really like this time of year!

Oh, I forgot to mention, the water hazards were NO problem! I duffed one into the lake, but it bounced on the ice all the way across and up onto the rocks. Of course I retrieved it from the rocks and played it just as though that was my plan from the start.

fatnhappy
01-28-2007, 09:56 PM
longitude on this one. There's a mass of cold Canadian air over hudson bay producing clipper system, and it's probably going to stay like that for awhile.

That means serious Lake effect snow in western NY until mid-June or so. [smilie=1:

longhorn
01-28-2007, 10:04 PM
I've been fascinated by ice fishing since I was about 8 and reading those magazine articles--my hat's off to you fishing stalwarts! One of these years I'm going to wangle an ice fishing invitation; in the meantime, I wore 3 layers today to walk the dog at 45 deg. with a light north wind. Thin blood, I guess.

trooperdan
01-29-2007, 12:43 AM
I'm from the south and I just never could trust ice! Even when I spent three years in Minnesota, courtesy of my Uncle Sam, and saw them racing cars on the Mississippi could I get comfortable on ice! I did go ice fishing once... never did catch any ice, darned fish keep getting on the hook! I do recall that every year there were ice houses that ker-chunked into the lake come an early thaw!

danski26
01-29-2007, 01:05 AM
just got back from an ice fishing trip at our cottage in northern Wisconsin. we fished for two days and caught about a dozen bluegils, five nice walleyes and a medium size northern. We had a good time.

Boz330
01-29-2007, 11:11 AM
You mean that you actually catch fish? I always got the impression it was a way to get away from the wife and eat chili and drink adult beverages.

GEEEZ you learn something new here everyday.

Bob