PDA

View Full Version : 300 AAC Blackout

gunnut14
09-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Found some brass at the range today ( I'm a brass scrounge, sorry I can't help it)
I found 5 of the above brass.
Checking wicipedia I understand what it is and who it was developed for but if it isn't supposed to exist in the civilian market how did I find it at a civilian range.?

gunnut14

ilcop22
09-05-2011, 09:01 PM
It's readily available online and in some brick and mortar gun stores. Just because a round is developed for the military, does not mean civilians cannot purchase it retail. If that were the case, no one would have 5.56x45, .50 BMG, 7.62x39, etc...

2wheelDuke
09-05-2011, 11:41 PM
I'm not sure how much acceptance the 300blk has in the military. There may be some special ops type of guys using it, or at least looking seriously at it for some applications.

300blk has alot of civilians interested, and I understand that 300blk brass/ammo can be shot in existing guns chambered for 300 whisper, but I'm not certain of that.

I'm interested in the round myself, and hope to have an upper and set of dies for 300blk someday.

Idaho Sharpshooter
09-06-2011, 12:35 AM
2WD,

other way around, whisper in the 300 BLK. Check the closed orders section for the 311247.
There are lots of us with them here.

Rich

gunnut14
09-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Sorry ILcop22,
Have been admonished about asking questions with out searching first.
Googled the round and Wicipedia came up .
According to you must be outdated as they state it is still in development and very hush-hush.

Oh well I guess it is a good thing I don't post much here anymore as I am out of context no matter how I do it.

gunnut14

andremajic
09-06-2011, 04:02 PM
I'm not sure how much acceptance the 300blk has in the military. There may be some special ops type of guys using it, or at least looking seriously at it for some applications.

300blk has alot of civilians interested, and I understand that 300blk brass/ammo can be shot in existing guns chambered for 300 whisper, but I'm not certain of that.

I'm interested in the round myself, and hope to have an upper and set of dies for 300blk someday.

The whisper and 300-221 fireball brass can be fired through a 300 blackout, but not the other way around. The blackout has a longer neck, which if crammed into a tighter necked chamber would cause excess pressures.

It's a cut down, necked up .223 case and not hard to make if you have the dies and a trimming tool. The best thing about this case is it is designed for .308 projectiles, which can be bought just about anywhere or cast.

Andy.

ilcop22
09-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Sorry ILcop22,
Have been admonished about asking questions with out searching first.
Googled the round and Wicipedia came up .
According to you must be outdated as they state it is still in development and very hush-hush.

Oh well I guess it is a good thing I don't post much here anymore as I am out of context no matter how I do it.

gunnut14

You weren't being admonished, I was answering your question. You can purchase it many places, including the popular MidwayUSA: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=856618&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Ammunition%20-%20Centerfire%20Rifle%20-%20Blasting-_-PriceCompListing-_-856618

Ed in North Texas
09-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Oh, will this turn out to be like a trip back in time. .270 Vs. .30-06 in the Winchester Model 70 or Remington 721 rifles of my youth, 6.8 Vs. .300 in various AR platforms in my senior years? Well, the nomenclature has changed a lot anyway.

Seriously, I'm going to have to find out about the .300s for the ARs. One of the Grandsons is quite small and the ARs (with CAR stock run all the way in) fit him where even "Youth" stocks are way too long. He wants to hunt hogs and deer, so I have a RR in 6.8 SPC (any excuse is a good excuse for a new firearm) planning on having him hunt with it. Maybe the .300 Blackout would be a better cartridge (sounds good anyway).

Ed

ilcop22
09-11-2011, 02:57 PM
I always tend to side with the .30 cals, Ed. We "fixed" a problem that wasn't a problem. The .30 caliber cartridge helped us win two World Wars. I understand intermediary cartridges in carbines and CQB weapons, but rifles deserve a rifle round.

Ed in North Texas
09-11-2011, 05:20 PM
I always tend to side with the .30 cals, Ed. We "fixed" a problem that wasn't a problem. The .30 caliber cartridge helped us win two World Wars. I understand intermediary cartridges in carbines and CQB weapons, but rifles deserve a rifle round.

Must explain why I have more .30 caliber rifles than any other group - and the only .270 I own is the 6.8SPC. That being said, I'm not so sure that a cartridge like the .30 under discussion would be better than the SPC as a hunting round (of whatever quarry), that requires some research to decide.

OTOH, I own a few 7mms and a couple of 6.5mms - but of these non-AR metric calibers, only one is commercial and not a military weapon (a 7-08 TC Encore).

ilcop22
09-11-2011, 09:12 PM
The Blackout isn't really my idea of a hunting cartridge, but generally speaking most 7.62 loads are just fantastic all-around rounds. 30-06, .308, 7.62x39, 7.62x54r, 30-30... Hard to beat!

Artful
09-12-2011, 02:56 AM
ilcop22 - very little difference between 300 blk and 7.62x39 if you study up on 'em.
http://300aacblackout.com/ info can be found here.
Main difference is little more volume in 7.62x39 vs 7.62x35 - but 300 blk was designed to work supersonic and subsonic within the AR15 platform.

I always like to think of them (7.62x39 & 7.62x35 aka 300 whisper/300 fireball/ 300-221/300 blk) as a 30-30 designed for a semi-auto rifle.

thehouseproduct
09-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Surprised brass would turn up so soon. All in all, this round is just getting started.

garym1a2
09-12-2011, 01:53 PM
I dont see the point of the 300 blk. Except for short range surpressor use.
The 6:5 grendal see a better rnd to me.
So does the.6:8:

ilcop22 - very little difference between 300 blk and 7.62x39 if you study up on 'em.
http://300aacblackout.com/ info can be found here.
Main difference is little more volume in 7.62x39 vs 7.62x35 - but 300 blk was designed to work supersonic and subsonic within the AR15 platform.

I always like to think of them (7.62x39 & 7.62x35 aka 300 whisper/300 fireball/ 300-221/300 blk) as a 30-30 designed for a semi-auto rifle.

ilcop22
09-12-2011, 02:27 PM
Artful - Didn't know they were so close. Still, I'd take a 7.62x39 over the 300 anyway. When it comes to SBR and CQB rifles, the 6.5 and 6.8 intermediary rounds I think are best. That said, I'm a rifleman first, which means I reach out and touch not get close and unload. So for me, heavy hitting 7.62 rounds are my cup of tea.

andremajic
09-12-2011, 02:35 PM
I dont see the point of the 300 blk. Except for short range surpressor use.
The 6:5 grendal see a better rnd to me.
So does the.6:8:

The main things that I look for when reloading is brass availability. Since the 300 blackout brass case is just a reformed .223 or 5.56 nato case I will NEVER have to buy one. Just pick em up off the ground, tumble, trim and resize.

Also uses less powder, which makes a 1 lb or 8 lb keg last a lot longer!

The .308 sized bullets are so common that I can find them anywhere for sale or cast them.

Which makes an AR platform that is not going to be hard to find components for anytime in the future.

If I really want to reach out and touch something I have a couple rifles in .308 and 30-06 which have great accuracy and I can share projectiles between all of them, which brings us back to the availability of components again.

That's what makes me enthusiastic about it.

Andy.

garym1a2
09-12-2011, 08:06 PM
You can make it out of 223 brass?
Time to do my homework.

The main things that I look for when reloading is brass availability. Since the 300 blackout brass case is just a reformed .223 or 5.56 nato case I will NEVER have to buy one. Just pick em up off the ground, tumble, trim and resize.

Also uses less powder, which makes a 1 lb or 8 lb keg last a lot longer!

The .308 sized bullets are so common that I can find them anywhere for sale or cast them.

Which makes an AR platform that is not going to be hard to find components for anytime in the future.

If I really want to reach out and touch something I have a couple rifles in .308 and 30-06 which have great accuracy and I can share projectiles between all of them, which brings us back to the availability of components again.

That's what makes me enthusiastic about it.

Andy.

Artful
09-12-2011, 11:49 PM
You can make it out of 223 brass?
Time to do my homework.

You can use .221 Fireball, 222, 223, 5.56x45 NATO - uses original AR magazine, bolt - only need to change the barrel to convert. That's part of what sold me on it over 7.62x39 - the advantage of 7.62x39 was cheap surplus Chicom/Soviet ammo but that has since gone way up in price so I'll stick with 300 whisper/blackout :Fire:

Bulldogger
09-13-2011, 09:09 AM
+1 to andremajic's comments.

While the .300 AAC Blackout might be underpowered to some folks' way of thinking, you should bear in mind that the AR-15 is the most popular hunting rifle in the USA now in terms of sales. While plently of 30-30, 30-06 and .308's exist, the AR is the fun new toy and everyone wants to be TactiCool.

Given the popularity of the AR, and the desire for an AR .30 cal without the punishment some experience from AR-10's, the .300 Blackout is a nice alternative. It's also very popular for pistol AR's as a .30 cal thumper without any modifications.

The no modifications featuer is part of what I think is making it catch on so fast, it's a bolt-on as it were.

Personally, I don't like AR's because I can't hit the side of a barn with one. Just my problem, and obviously I'm in the minority it seems. BUT, I want a subsonic thumper for short and mid range deer/hog hunting, likely at night with optics and easy to get parts for. I was saving for .300 Whisper, but the restrictions on licensing and availabiltiy made it infeasible. Enter .300 Blackout with lots of goodies and even special introductory pricing on reamers from PTG. Brass is plentiful, and as noted will never run out since it's based on .223 (which all the AR guys already have buckets of, so it's attractive to them, eh?).

I know I can reload my Mosin to subsonic, or some other rifle. But I've been reading up along time on subsonics and it seems like the best ones merge optimum case size and powder charge along with a large boolit. The shorty .300's seem to be a very good balance of those.

I can get a .223 bolt action very affordably, and once rebarreled and headspaced, nothing else has to change to run .300 blackout. I will be able to get dies and trimmers and all the other components readily from the "bought it for fun then tired of it" AR crowd for years.

I like it.

BDGR

300winmag
09-13-2011, 11:07 AM
Here it is being processed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1FIs0FDmFQ

P.K.
09-13-2011, 11:20 AM
One thing that prolly has been stated somewhere else is the interchangability of uppers with one lower provided the magazine size. Also, no SN#'s on those uppers....oh my!

As for reach, how's this on an AR?

http://www.tactilite.com/

Idaho Sharpshooter
09-13-2011, 11:25 AM
The 300 BLK was originally designed for Military/LE. They had envisioned it as a suppressed round mostly. Think 240gr bullet at 1060 or so fps. It = 44 magnum factory lead loads for ME, and thirty of them in an unmodified AR magazine.

There are now two factory loadings, one subsonic heavy bullet, and a 125gr SP at close to 2200fps for anything smaller than Elk.

And now, due mostly to NOE's designs, we have a plethora of cast boolets to work with.

I built an AR pistol, and am horsetrading for one of the Mark X mini-mauser actions to build a nice lightweight rifle on.

It's a very cool thing...

Rich

Landric
09-13-2011, 11:29 AM
I'm interested in the Blackout because of its heavy bullet/subsonic qualities and its easy compatibility with the 5.56mm AR platform. There is a lighter bullet supersonic Blackout loading that is similar to the 7.62x39mm ballisticly, but it doesn't interest me much. For supersonic .30 caliber cartridges I am more interested in the .308 and .30-06.

I'm in the process of selecting a suppressor for my 9mm AR. A 9mm carbine/subgun suppressor will also work perfectly well with the subsonic .300 Blackout. As with all NFA stuff, its a process. It would already be done if the tax on suppressors was $5, but since its $200 it takes longer to work out.

Artful
09-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Landric make sure you get a cleanable 9mm can as you'll be shooting cast subsonic
- if you haven't looked at Liberty's mystic 9mm multipurpose can, I would suggest you do.

daschnoz
09-19-2011, 04:05 PM
They reinvented the wheel. "Full power 123 grain ammunition matches the ballistics of the 7.62x39mm AK..."

SWALLOW YOUR PRIDE, ADMIT THAT THE RUSSIANS GOT IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, AND JUST ADOPT THE RUSSIAN ROUND ALREADY!!!!!!

MT Chambers
09-19-2011, 04:57 PM
I wouldn't consider the Russian offering, not if I want to hit the target, besides it's like comparing apples to oranges, the Whisper needs fast twist to stabilize long bullets fired subsonically. I've used the Whisper for years with cast bullets and it's a great cartridge to play with, but I found that stability decreased with lower speeds so you really have to match rate of twist with the bullet you plan on using. I do not consider it a proper "big game cal." for large Canadian game.

Springfield
09-19-2011, 07:37 PM
daschnoz: I would have liked to use the russian round but apparently they don't work so well with the standard AR magazines and we in California are not allowed to buy any new mags that can handle more than 10 rounds, hence my plan to get a .300 BLK upper.

Ed in North Texas
09-19-2011, 08:44 PM
daschnoz wrote: "7.62NATO - because shooting something twice with 5.56NATO is just plain silly."

I would totally agree with that, if an 11B (111.xx in my younger days) could only carry 2 rounds of 5.56 for each one 7.62 he could carry. AND if the trains could only move 2 5.56mm for each 7.62 that could be moved. Since neither of those propositions is true, it isn't silly. We, sadly, are no longer a "nation of riflemen" and any advantage in number of rounds available we can give the infantry is worthwhile. OTOH, we also have a need for real riflemen with cartridges which can reach out an touch someone (short of .50 BMG, that is - also needed, but not so many).

Idaho Sharpshooter
09-19-2011, 11:18 PM
Artful convinced me to go the YHM Cobra II 9mm suppressor. I can shoot 300BLK sub as well as the 9mm upper I have for my SP-1

Rich
once an 11F4P
Sua Sponte

Artful
09-20-2011, 12:13 AM
Rich, there you go blaming me again - I just give options as I find them
- suppressor tech keeps evolving - just look for something cleanable
YHM Cobra II is another option
(remember to coat any cleanable can with Never-Seez, so you can get it apart when you need too)

Artful
09-20-2011, 12:39 AM
They reinvented the wheel. "Full power 123 grain ammunition matches the ballistics of the 7.62x39mm AK..."

SWALLOW YOUR PRIDE, ADMIT THAT THE RUSSIANS GOT IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, AND JUST ADOPT THE RUSSIAN ROUND ALREADY!!!!!!

Ah, just to remember history
- The Germans came up with intermediate round in 1938 - enter the 7.92x33 Kurz :bigsmyl2:
stifled by Hitler and other ruling Nazi's (thank god) who demanded 7.92x57 for troops,
it wasn't in wide spread use for most of WWII - the regular army using WW1 bolt action Mauser 98's and K98's...
The Kruz fired 125 grn 8mm bullet at 2,250 fps for MP43, MP44, STG44 aka Sturmgewehr 44,
and Sturmgewehr 45 among other weapons used in later days of WWII.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.92%C3%9733mm_Kurz

7.62x39 came out 1943, in RPD MG - and also in SKS and later AK47.
The cartridge remained the Soviet standard until the 1970s, and is still one of the most common intermediate rifle cartridges used around the world. It was replaced in Russian service by the 5.45×39mm cartridge which is used by the current issue AK-74 and variants.
And is the basis for PPC cartridge family (known for accuracy in benchrest guns) - My bolt action 7.62x39 will hit well to 500 yards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62x39

Neither of the above was designed for subsonic loadings specifically. Neither was set up with fast twist barrel for heavy bullets.
Enter the 300 Whisper developed by J.D.Jones...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.300_Whisper
The Whisper was specifically designed to work in AR platform as both intermediate 125 grain supersonic load at 2,100 to 2,300 fps and with heavy 240 grain projectile subsonic load at 1,040 fps cartridge. With Suppressed weapons with fast 1:8 twist barrel. This was developed at request of SOG for use in behind enemy line missions to "snatch" key personnel. J.D.Jones developed a few cartridges to try and meet the needs of black ops missions and the 300 Whisper was the best answer - the 300 Black Out developed by Remington/AAC is more commercial cartridge for same purpose with very similar dimensions.

Sorry for the lecture but just want to keep who did what straight for people new to discussion. :holysheep

ilcop22
09-21-2011, 01:35 AM
I wouldn't consider the Russian offering, not if I want to hit the target...

It's quite an accurate cartridge, just like many other .30 caliber loads. Problem is if you're only shooting it out of an AK, you're not going to get much accuracy out of it. Barrel length is minimum, sight radius is too small, and the AK pattern is inherently inaccurate when compared to it's NATO counterparts. In this case it's not the round, so much as the machine spitting it out and the sub-spec Russian stuff we like to eat up here in the states. I'm, of course, talking intermediary cartridges (CQC/Sub 300) and not real rifle cartridges (7.62 NATO, 7.62x54r)

P.K.
09-21-2011, 03:23 PM
The Whisper was specifically designed to work in AR platform as both intermediate 125 grain supersonic load at 2,100 to 2,300 fps and with heavy 240 grain projectile subsonic load at 1,040 fps cartridge. With Suppressed weapons with fast 1:8 twist barrel. This was developed at request of SOG for use in behind enemy line missions to "snatch" key personnel. J.D.Jones developed a few cartridges to try and meet the needs of black ops missions and the 300 Whisper was the best answer - the 300 Black Out developed by Remington/AAC is more commercial cartridge for same purpose with very similar dimensions.

LOL! Sorry, Where's my tin foil hat?

I can't remember where I heard it but the .300 Whisp is reallllly popular with Inuit folks for taking seal quietly. Pop one and move to the next w/o scaring the whole gaggle back under the ice.

Artful
09-22-2011, 12:06 AM
I did see some evidence of AR-15 or M16 in AK but I was told by a local it was because lots were part of the guard or something and a 30 round mag of 223 was considered good on polar bear!

I was also told the biggest bear that had been shoot was by a woman with a 22 LR !!!

P.K.
09-22-2011, 05:48 PM
I did see some evidence of AR-15 or M16 in AK but I was told by a local it was because lots were part of the guard or something and a 30 round mag of 223 was considered good on polar bear!

I was also told the biggest bear that had been shoot was by a woman with a 22 LR !!!

The first wouldn't suprise me a bit, considering they don't shoot em for their hides and most of the time the buggers are tearing into buildings. As for the second not alot of diameter size diffrence in the two, but if it were a Ruger and a Hi-Cap mag I could see it happening. Alot of people scoff at the venerable .22LR but it just keeps filling the pot day after day.

Not a LR but still a 22, specificly the 22WMR or was it the WRF? IDRC, but my dad knew this one bird back in the day when Maine wasn't the vacation spot it is today who would routinley thumb his nose at hunting regs and take large Whitetail all year round with the above mentioned round.

Idaho Sharpshooter
09-22-2011, 06:44 PM
If I "care enough to send the very best..."; it would be a tidy Boom-Boom pair of 500gr bullets at 2180 or so fps out of my Searcy Double Rifle.

The handgun is designed to keep you alive until you can get to your rifle...
Some guy named Cooper told me that about thirty years ago.

Rich

leadman
09-22-2011, 06:45 PM
I have had a 300 Whisper for about 10 or 12 years now. Load it with 300/221 dies, make my brass from 223. My chamber actually has a longer neck and I can use brass about a tenth of an inch longer than the 221 reformed to 300 Whisper. Rifling is 1 in 8.
While it is a very accurate cartridge and I have taken game with the 125 gr Ballistic Tip I would call this a very specialized cartridge. If you want to hunt with the heavy bullets my finding are you need an accurate rangefinder and either a mil-dot scope or target style turrets. The drop on the heavy bullets make accurate range estimating critical.
If I was varmint hunting or in a combat situation the 223 or 7.62X39 would be a much more user friendly cartridge. A 308 would be close to ideal or a fast 6mm.

I think many shooters are going to invest in the blackout only to be discouraged with the need to estimate range closely, especially with the heavy bullets. The lack of long range accuracy of the lighter bullets, especially if they use the Hornady 110gr 300 Whisper ammo may also discourage some. For those that just go out and blast away at 50 yards they will be happy.

P.K.
09-22-2011, 11:34 PM
If I "care enough to send the very best..."; it would be a tidy Boom-Boom pair of 500gr bullets at 2180 or so fps out of my Searcy Double Rifle.

The handgun is designed to keep you alive until you can get to your rifle...
Some guy named Cooper told me that about thirty years ago.

Rich

I can agree with your opinion to a point sir. Today we are talking semi-auto's and gang-bangers. I'm using a 1911 with 8 round clips as a PDW and access to my 6.8 in seconds if my route is clear. If not I'll clear it and end all discussion if "match" bullets make decent man/game stoppers.

The world changed on 9-11 and was changing slowly but surley before that. Your methods can work with one or two targets, what if you have more than two? 1000 grains is great, for two targets. Sir, I'm sorry but if I had a choice....It would be the 17 rounds available at my side untill I could get to my rifle.

Respecfully,

P.K.

Artful
09-23-2011, 12:32 AM
I'm using a 1911 with 8 round clips as a PDW and access to my 6.8 in seconds if my route is clear. If not I'll clear it and end all discussion if "match" bullets make decent man/game stoppers. ...

P.K.

I'd be testing those on Water Jugs, Jello, and whatever else I could find to see if they preform as you want - is the T.A.P. made for 6.8?

quick googly-ooglie found

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#6.8mm SPC

http://demigodllc.com/~zak/firearms/6.8SPC/faq.php

P.K.
09-23-2011, 12:45 AM
I'd be testing those on Water Jugs, Jello, and whatever else I could find to see if they preform as you want - is the T.A.P. made for 6.8?

quick googly-ooglie found

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#6.8mm SPC

http://demigodllc.com/~zak/firearms/6.8SPC/faq.php

I have two mags C-products loaded with 110 BTHP Match(25 rds.) from Hornady.

Honestly? TAP? forget it. OH AHHHHH all the hype is good and the data is sound.....Guess what, nothing matters when lead is flying....If it works.....USE IT!.

I went with the load I did because it's a man stopper pure and simple. Ammo companies can go on about the latest and greatest, 168 gr HPBT was good enough for Carlos, any HPBT moving at a high rate of speed with the ballistic data to back it up is enough for me. She may not nushroom but it does open enough so that the Hydrostatic shock does it's job.

Artful
09-23-2011, 01:31 AM
P.K. I don't know if you remember about 20 years ago when Sierra took out ad's advising/begging sportsmen NOT to try and use the SMK on game due to wounded game etc - I'd call or email Hornady and get their blessing before I offered my life up as test subject on two way range for social shooting.

It's your nickle - or these days like what 50 cents - when was the last time I saw a pay phone?

Idaho Sharpshooter
09-23-2011, 04:26 AM
If I have my pants on, I have my P-14 in a Sparks Summer Special, and two extra mags and my Streamlight Pro-Tac2L in their case on the other side of the belt.

The double will defeat all of the body armor available at 50yds. 500gr solid at 2150 does not stop in man or beast. That includes Elephants...

Rich

rsilvers
09-25-2011, 12:03 AM
I just loaded up the NOE cast bullets and will shoot them tomorrow.

There is lots of discussion here:

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=128

bruce drake
09-25-2011, 08:05 AM
I've got 4 different loads in the ammo box for testing later this week for the new upper I received from Delta Co Arms this week. Aaron forgot to ship the bolt carrier group and charging handle with the upper but its following in another mail shipment.

150gr FMJ with H110
160gr Lee .311 with H110
130gr Lyman 311410 with Red Dot
200gr Lee .311 with H4895

The first two are loaded within what most consider the average powder load to work a AR Gas system so they should just be to confirm operation.

The third is for a plinker load that may or may not function a semi-auto but will be nice to shoot for squirrels.

The third is an experiment to see if 10gr of H4895 will develop enough pressure to operate the rifle while pushing that big slug out in a subsonic thumping of a target.

Bruce

Idaho Sharpshooter
09-26-2011, 11:22 AM
Go Bruce! Welcome home, and good to see you made it back safe and sound.

Rich

thehouseproduct
09-26-2011, 02:50 PM
I've got 4 different loads in the ammo box for testing later this week for the new upper I received from Delta Co Arms this week. Aaron forgot to ship the bolt carrier group and charging handle with the upper but its following in another mail shipment.

150gr FMJ with H110
160gr Lee .311 with H110
130gr Lyman 311410 with Red Dot
200gr Lee .311 with H4895

The first two are loaded within what most consider the average powder load to work a AR Gas system so they should just be to confirm operation.

The third is for a plinker load that may or may not function a semi-auto but will be nice to shoot for squirrels.

The third is an experiment to see if 10gr of H4895 will develop enough pressure to operate the rifle while pushing that big slug out in a subsonic thumping of a target.

Bruce
How long is your barrel? What length gas system? I never got the Lee to cycle my 13" carbine length gun sub sonic. It is a nice cheap super boolit though.

leadman
09-26-2011, 03:47 PM
The surplus WC680 (similar to AA1680) seems to be a very good powder for a case this size. I use 11 to 11.5grs of it with the 314299, about 1,050 fps to 1,100 fps. Don't know if it will cycle the action of an AR.
I once shot 50 of this load into about 1 1/2" at 100 yards with no barrel leading or cleaning.

bruce drake
09-27-2011, 10:54 PM
Aaron built me a 20" upper to play with. It uses a Carbine gas length tube and port though.

I haven't fired it yet. I got it last Monday without the Bolt Carrier group and Charging Handle. As soon as I called Aaron, he immediately told me he had forgot to pack the items with the upper when he sent it out and sent it in a follow on package. I am still waiting for that BCG and CH to come in before I shoot it as my other ARs are old enough and have been shot enough that I would be concerned about slapping one of them in the new upper to go do some shooting with.

If the H4895 develops enough pressure to cycle the AR without pressure issues, I might up the powder to see what it can do with a lighter bullet as well as how fast I can push the 200gr LEE boolit without popping a primer.

Bruce

bruce drake
10-01-2011, 05:13 PM
I got to shoot this sweet little rifle yesterday. Aaron and his friends make a great rifle!

50yard groups with 14gr of H110 over LEE's 160gr was just under 2" with iron sights and was almost a 100% functional load. I need to up the load about a grain or two for full functionality (short-stroking). it would shoot, eject and not strip the next bullet out of the magazine.

The Red Dot loads are with the 130gr are little plinkers. no recoil but no ejection.

The H4895 with the LEE 200gr shot well but no full ejection (stovepipes)

Next load will be a bit more powerful to ensure it loads on the second round.

I'm pretty excited about the groups to start with. It will get tighter and I'm looking forward to further experiments with this.

The 150gr FMJ loads functioned perfectly but I ain't playing with them as much...(uh, yes I was!)

Deer season is coming up and I'm looking forward to seeing what it does with a 160gr boolit once I get the right powder weight for it.

Bruce

leadman
10-03-2011, 12:10 AM
You are probably correct on the amount of 110 you are going to need. How much 4895 are you using now? Are you going to have enough case capacity to get full function?
I'm only asking 'cuz I never thought of using 4895 in a case with this limited capacity.
I've used 4198 in my 300Whisper and it worked well but not as well as WC680.

bruce drake
10-03-2011, 03:52 PM
leadman,

The H4895 load was with 10gr for the 200gr LEE. If I run out of space, I may switch to a lighter bullet to give me a bit more internal capacity.

I've got 8lbs of H335 to play with in the future as well so the reload log will be seeing a bunch of other loads as well.

Bruce

leadman
10-03-2011, 08:53 PM
I have some load data for the 300 Whisper I got when I bought a used 10" Contender barrel .
The data includes H335 with a 220gr bullet. 13.86grs was used and gave a velocity of 1,031fps in a 16.5" barrel. The data came off the quarterbore website. This would have been at least 12 years ago IIRC.
There is a note on it that says J.D. Jones recommends powder burn rates from AA#9 to AA#1680.

RU shooter
10-11-2011, 07:11 PM
I got to shoot this sweet little rifle yesterday. Aaron and his friends make a great rifle!

50yard groups with 14gr of H110 over LEE's 160gr was just under 2" with iron sights and was almost a 100% functional load. I need to up the load about a grain or two for full functionality (short-stroking). it would shoot, eject and not strip the next bullet out of the magazine.

The Red Dot loads are with the 130gr are little plinkers. no recoil but no ejection.

The H4895 with the LEE 200gr shot well but no full ejection (stovepipes)

Next load will be a bit more powerful to ensure it loads on the second round.

I'm pretty excited about the groups to start with. It will get tighter and I'm looking forward to further experiments with this.

The 150gr FMJ loads functioned perfectly but I ain't playing with them as much...(uh, yes I was!)

Deer season is coming up and I'm looking forward to seeing what it does with a 160gr boolit once I get the right powder weight for it.

Bruce

Bruce,What kind of velocity are you guessing your getting with that lee 160 gr load?

Anyone else doing much shooting with cast bullets other than that big 250 gr monster? Any feeding issues with certain nose profiles.

pakmc
10-12-2011, 06:43 PM
I have and shoot the 6x45, 6.8spc, and the 300blk. all are on AR frames. all are very very accurate. the 6x45 is the longer ranged rifle, with the 6.8 being very accruate with a lot more punch. the 300blk is accurate either with the factory 220gr. bullet or a light 308 caliber bullet.
I shoot AK 123gr. bullets(.310) in my 300blk just because I have a bunch of them from my SKS days. they shoot just fine. the 220 gr. bullets are worse then .45-70 bullets. your looking at maybe a 125 yard rifle. with the 123-125gr bullets maybe a 200 yard rifle.
Actually with the 220gr. bullets I was dead on at 25 yards, dead on at 50 yards and 9
inches low at 100 yards. The 123 were peaking at about 75-85 yards. same point of aim at 50 and at 100 yards. and the wind really moves these little raskils around. but they all work for me. The 30-06's(M1 garands) and M14's are more than I want to put up with now a days.
and bulldogger, get an AR15 and put a full floating handguard on it and then try it. all my AR's have a dpms free floating handguard on them and all five of them a under a minute of angle at 100 yards. and with some loads five shot groups of under 1/2 inch. they shoot!!
Pat

daschnoz
10-13-2011, 07:42 PM
AIM has 300 Blackout ammo on sale. It's not as expensive as you might think, but not as cheap as pouring and rolling your own.
$14.95 (US) for 20 rounds

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AGU300SubSonic
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AGU300SUPER