PDA

View Full Version : Hensley & Gibbs 2 Cavity #51 for $280 on Auction

Texasflyboy
09-05-2011, 08:30 PM
From my records over the last 15 years this is the highest selling two cavity mould I've seen on eBay.

My guess is the Hollow Point Craze affected the price.

My ballpark estimate before the auction close was $150.00. The final was $280.00.

I was off. Way off.

Click the thumbnail to see a larger pic.

http://hgmould.gunloads.com/a/aaaaaaa.jpg (http://hgmould.gunloads.com/a/aaaaaa.jpg)

Would love to know if the winning bidder is a member here.

Tom in Va.

MikeS
09-05-2011, 11:06 PM
I've been meaning to ask you a question. I know you watch all the H&G moulds that sell on eBay. A couple of months ago I won a 10 cavity #73 mould that sold very cheaply. It wasn't in the best of shape, perhaps you remember it, the handles had square wood on them, rather than the normal round. The seller assumed it's an H&G as do I as there's no name on the mould, or handles, only '#73'. If you recall this mould, can you tell me if it has the original sprue plate on it, as it seems kind of crude. Also, is it possible for a heavy 10 cavity mould to warp? When I tried casting with this mould, all the inner cavities had fins on them. Do you know if the mould is salvageable, or should I chalk it up to a learning experience, and forget about it? If it is salvageable, would Erik at Hollowpointmould be the person to fix it up? Thanks!

Texasflyboy
09-06-2011, 10:16 AM
If it is salvageable, would Erik at Hollowpointmould be the person to fix it up? Thanks!

Mike,

The short answer is to send it to Erik and have him look it over. He's repaired all the moulds I've sent him successfully.

Tom

FISH4BUGS
09-06-2011, 11:56 AM
I am almost embarrassed to say it was me. I paid, as you so aptly once put it, "stupid money" for that mould. As I recall, however, you had admitted to doing the same thing on more than one occasion when you just couldn't be without a particular H&G mould......so I don't feel TOO bad about it.
However, I justified it (rightly or wrongly) that it ALMOST completed my H&G 51 collection. I have a 4 cavity 51 plain base, 4 cavity 51 bevel base, 4 cavity 51gas check and now the 2 cavity 51 hollow point. All I need now is a gas check hollow point #51 and my life will be complete. Next step in the collection is to do the same with the 44 moulds....I have a start already.
I have been occasionally accused of having more money than brains, and I am probably guilty of paying too much for the mould. However, in a year I won't care (or maybe even remember....well, no....I think I will remember this one!) how much I paid for it. I think you can relate to that, Tom.
I thought it originally was to go for about $180 or so, but I was not to be denied. After I was out bid, I had a high bid of $299.50 on it, and someone came close, but no cigar.
I LIKE the 51's. The 51's have a lube groove the size of the Panama Canal, and they do not lead as far as I can tell. Even driving the plain base hard (but not to magnum velocities) it won't lead using 5lbs ww to 1 lb linotype. Between my girlfriend and myself, we shoot a TON of 38/357 ammo.
I wanted the mould. It was the ONLY H&G 2 cavity 51 hollow point I have ever seen. Yes, I fell to the hollow point craze, but I wanted the mould. Maybe I will cast up a bunch and sell them here to make up for some of the money spent.
OK....make fun of me.....I can take it!
...and no, THIS one is not for sale. Maybe that 9mm mould some day but not this one!....as a fellow H&G collector, I am sure you can understand......I will seek therapy for my addiction.....someday.

rintinglen
09-06-2011, 12:20 PM
You paid more for that mold than I did for half the guns in my gun safe! I am impressed! I have had my moments of insanity as well, but you are worser than me. Enjoy the mold.

Texasflyboy
09-06-2011, 01:54 PM
..as a fellow H&G collector, I am sure you can understand......I will seek therapy for my addiction.....someday.

Welcome fellow addict. That was only the second two cavity 51 I've seen on eBay. I have the other one.

You were lucky. I was out and about and neglected to restart my eBay snipe program after I rebooted the computer.

Let's just say I am more addicted that you.

Maybe...;-)

FISH4BUGS
09-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Since both are hopeless junkies for rare or unusual H&G moulds, maybe we should let each other know if we are bidding on something. That way we won't drive the bids to an astronomical level.
Junkies need support you know......I'd certainly let you borrow any of my moulds to cast a bunch of bullets with it if you let me own it.....and vice versa!
But nothing beats owning it, fondling it and casting with it.
May I assume you would have paid MORE than I did for the mould? If so, man, you DO have it bad!
Maybe we can get a group discount on the therapy..........

No_1
09-06-2011, 03:19 PM
MAN! We sure know what y'alls crack is.

FISH4BUGS
09-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Let's just say I am more addicted that you.
Maybe...;-)

We both suffer from the same addiction. I am a huge H&G fan....thanks to you.......but my money is not endless. I appreciate the precison work that these guys put into their moulds. Nothing compares to it. Casting with H&G moulds is the way it should be.
The closest I could ever come were some old Saeco moulds.
I need to pick and choose my collection additions carefully. I don't think we will be banging heads (or wallets) too often.....but when we do, the only winner is the seller.
You got me started on this addiction.......it's all your fault.

cuzinbruce
09-09-2011, 07:10 AM
Fish4bugs - Don't worry about the money. You can make $280 in a lot less time than it would take to find another one. If another one even exists!
I like the 51 design too. I have a 4 cavity and a two cavity with one HP. I sent Texasflyboy pictures and he put it on his H&G website.
Now if I could just find a #49!

Bruce