PDA

View Full Version : Making a part for a Lyman 61

Paf
09-05-2011, 07:46 PM
I recently picked up a Lyman 61 lead melting pot at a flea market. I made a new power cord for it and have been cleaning it up a bit. The plate that holds the two power leads
( prongs ) is broken. I believe it was made from mica. What could I use as a replacement material for this? I saw in a earlier post someone used ceramic ( would that be tile? ). Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thank you in advance for your response.

Paf

shaune509
09-05-2011, 08:21 PM
If this is the heat shield at the element ends, the mica was not structual and you may find a rock wool type material at any commercial kitchen repair shop to use between the element and switch and cord. Mica or isenglass[sp] is still out there but not as comin as it was 30+ years ago.
Shaune509

oneokie
09-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Are you refering to the two screws on the thermostat bracket? If so, yes they were insulated with mica. If you want to go back with mica, look for a place that sells windows for coal burning stoves. Sorry, no link.

ETA, do a search for "sheet mica".

Paf
09-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Yes, I am referring to the heat shield at the element end where the two prongs are. Thank you for the suggestions. There is a place in town that restores old vintage gas and electric kitchen stoves. They should have the material I am looking for. I am anxious to get this furnace going! Thanks again.

Paf

ronbo
09-05-2011, 10:47 PM
I did the same repair on a 61 and cut out and drilled holes in a section of a high temperature electic box same size as the mica. Think it was kind of tan in color and fiberous and held up for all the years since the repair.

seagiant
09-06-2011, 08:38 AM
Hi,
You might want to check a electric motor repair shop. Might have a small piece that would work. You can get all the material you want from McMaster-Carr but would probably have to buy a 12"X12" piece!

oneokie
09-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Just a heads up on the mica--there is a piece of the back side of the bracket also, to insulate the thermostat leaves from the bracket.

Paf
09-07-2011, 12:51 AM
Thanks again guys. I stopped by the stove restoration place today after work, but he was out on a job. Hopefully, when I stop in next time he'll have the material I need. I will also check at a motor repair shop as well.