PDA

View Full Version : .400 Corbon

Scrounger
01-27-2007, 04:46 PM
The urge to get a .400 Corbon barrel resurfaced again. It receeded some time ago because I couldn't find a barrel. same problem still exists. They are not high priced and ultra desireable, there just isn't much call for them. One just sold on Ebay for $75. So I just need to be in the right place at the right time. I have a couple of 1911 types I can drop the barrel in, but I'd really like to get a barrel to drop into one of my Ruger P97 DCs. Anyone see a barrel, appreciate a yell.

redneckdan
01-27-2007, 07:34 PM
i know there can be feeding problems with the .400 corbon and 1911 platforms.

Blackwater
01-27-2007, 11:45 PM
Dan, that's probably true of any caliber and platform. All I can say is that I got a .400 CB barrel, and mine's as reliable as any gun I have. After all, it's a lot easier to feed a .40 cal. bullet into a .45 cal. chamber. Magazines are the cause of a lot of misfeeds in any auto platform, and I haven't had any problems using good magazines, like Wilson, McCormick (with Wilson followers), factory Colts, or McGar. FWIW?

Scrounger, I think you'll like it. It's like a "magnum" version of the .357 Sig, or a lower pressure version of the 10mm., just with a bigger body and shorter neck. As you probably already know, CB went with the larger case of the slightly lengthened .45 ACP to get the pressures down enough so that frames wouldn't be as apt to split, as plagued the Delta Elites with the 10.

My barrel is an Olympic Arms version, and was a pretty tight drop in fit from the factory. My gun has a series 70 slide and series 80 frame, and was built from parts. The barrel was purshased 3rd hand, and ain't goin' anywhere any more. I really like it. Was surprised when I took it out and shot with some guys at a 5" tall steel plate at 100 measured yds., and had no trouble ringing it with almost every shot from offhand, and just taking a 6:00 hold on the target. I took that hold initially just to see where the bullets would hit, and take corrective action, but it was ringing that steel like a bell as is. I'd sighted it about 2" high at 25 yds., as is my custom since I like to see my target just over the front sight, and it was hitting about that high or a smidge more at 100 as well. This was a revelation to me, and at once, I realized that toting it afield where I might see a coyote out at or past 100 would be a big improvement over the .45's I usually carry.

Only living thing I've shot with it was an armadillo at about 1-12 yds. Hit it smack dab in the center of the right ham as it ran directly away on the opposite side of a ditch bank, and the 135 gr. bullet at @ 1450 fps (IIRC?) exited just to the left of the center of its chest, laying entrails out for 18" in front of the carcas. It's the second animal I've ever shot that went down and stayed down without any visible signs of a quiver. None! Needless to say, I was, and am still, impressed. However, I've decided that I'll avoid the 135's for personal protection duty. It was TOO explosive, and one never knows when an adversary may be built like the Cape Buff, rather than a small mammal. It's 150's and 165's from now on for that type of duty.

For reloading, that short neck might be a problem. Have 500 cases, but haven't loaded them yet. I need to. Just haven't got my round tuit yet. Have plenty of factorys now, and they're shooting great. Will likely need to load soon, though, but whatever the ctg's peculiarities are, I'll work with them and around them. Got the Lee 145 SWC mould for it, and that ought to be an interesting bullet for it.

A friend has loaded it extensively with 180's and 200's, and reports excellent results, FWIW. For an all around bullet, I think the 150's and 155's ought to do yeoman service in it.

The Olympic barrel even shot to the same POI as the .45 barrel in my gun. Whether that's sheer luck or what, I can't say, but it's promising at least. Go for it.

bruce drake
06-30-2014, 05:42 PM
Midway USA has semi-fit barrels for 1911s right now on their website. I just pulled the lanyard on purchase for this setup to add this caliber to my 1911 stable.

Moonie
07-01-2014, 12:54 PM
You should love it, I enjoy the 6" one I have for my Taurus PT1911. Actually I think one of my sons borrowed it currently. Might need another.

MT Gianni
07-02-2014, 12:32 AM
Darn it, I miss Scrounger.

Moonie
07-03-2014, 09:16 AM
i know there can be feeding problems with the .400 corbon and 1911 platforms.

Actually I've heard the opposite, because of the bottle neck they feed very well. This has also been my experience with this cartridge. I've used this barrel in a couple of 1911's and it has been flawless.