PDA

View Full Version : Duck decoy weights?

Shooter6br
09-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Got e-mail from Craigs list for 50 lbs 'Duck decoy " weights. i assume it could be soft lead ( said antique) or wheel weights or anything in between. Any ideas on an offering price?

imashooter2
09-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Duck decoy weights are generally made from "heavy stuff that melts."

I don't know your lead situation, but for unknown alloy I'm taking a chance on I wouldn't pay more than 20 cents a pound and that only if the weights looked like they cast smooth and clean.

10 ga
09-05-2011, 05:30 PM
I have a collection of decoy weights. Bout all the homemade are lead or lead alloy or concrete. There are many commercial weights that are iron, steel, concrete, ceramic or other metal. Get a picture and some more info. If homemade and not concrete then you're probably safe. 10 ga

selmerfan
09-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Get a picture. If they look like 1" wide straps and some may be curled a bit, then they will most likely be pure. The goal with those weights is to wrap them around the neck to keep everything from tangling, and pure lead is the only thing soft enough to do that without breaking with repeated wrapping. If they aren't straps it's a total crapshoot.

Defcon-One
09-07-2011, 08:20 PM
In my experience the "Antique" ones are often cast iron! Better find out first.