PDA

View Full Version : 91/30 Pu mount

ilcop22
09-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Afternoon,

I got a repro pu scope/mount from Kalinka optics a couple years back. Turns out, much to my ignorance, such a mount is supposed to have pins. Mine did not come with pins. Hasn't caused an issue, but I'm wondering if I should see about adding them to the mount? I'm assuming they're there to keep the mount in a repeatable pisition should you have to remove it. Any insight?

gew98
09-05-2011, 03:02 PM
The tapered pins are to help keep the screws from loosening. For example when the germans in WW2first started using the Short side rail mount system in fairly short order they found that in use the screws would loosen/stretch from repeated shooting and added tapered pins on the SSR and later LSR mounting systems making them more rigid and durable.
So if you intend to shoot it a fair bit I'd have a set of those tapered pins installed.

ilcop22
09-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Might threadlocker solve that issue? Since they didn't have it back then. Otherwise I'd be looking to find some aftermarket tapered pins. Thanks for your help.

gew98
09-05-2011, 07:33 PM
I have seen a similar commercial mount where the weight of the whole setup and not being pinned caused the screws to actually stretch and finally one sheared as the owner fired it alot. He had to pay for the screw extraction , new screws allaround and finally took heed and had it pinned to.

ilcop22
09-05-2011, 08:27 PM
Good enough reason for me. I'll pin it before I shoot it. Thanks!