PDA

View Full Version : Heating Lube?

fishnbob
09-05-2011, 09:26 AM
I just finished pan lubing about 100 .45 Colt boolits and now I'm cleaning them up and picking lube out of the crimp ring and wondering how nice it would be to have a Lube/Sizer. I am using Carnuba Red, which seems hard once it sets and my question is, if I buy a lube/sizer, will I have to heat the carnuba red to get it to flow or will the machine force it out? If you don't have an electric heater, how else can you get it to a workable consistency?

LUCKYDAWG13
09-05-2011, 09:32 AM
yes you will need a little heat

09-05-2011, 10:39 AM
I aim a clamp-on, goose-neck lamp at the reservoir and wrap it all with aluminum foil, to speed up the process.

Depending on the ambient temperature and the particular lube, it takes 10 to 20 minutes for the lube to reach its flow temperature.

Matt_G
09-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Yep, you'll need some heat for Carnuba Red.
You can get a package deal (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=655459) on the Lyman 4500 with a heater out at Midway.
You might be able to beat that price somewhere else.

I personally use an RCBS LAM II.
I got a small piece of steel about 1/8 thick and twice as wide as the base, then I drilled holes in it so I could mount my LAM off to one side of it.
I use one of these (http://www.amazon.com/Kats-1153-Handi-Heat-Magnetic-Heater/dp/B000BOABS6) on the open side of the steel plate as my heat source.
Doesn't have any control on it but neither does Lyman's heater.
Doesn't matter to me, I have it plugged into a switched outlet and just switch it on about 5 minutes out of every 15 or so.

Blanket
09-11-2011, 03:14 PM
A defroster element for a freezer can be wrapped around a sizer to heat the lube as well and can be bought for about $10 at an appliance repair store...Russ

Mal Paso
09-13-2011, 09:10 AM
I found a Lyman 4500 with the heater for $12 more than the sizer without. Lots of things will work but none as easily as the Lyman Heater.

Char-Gar
09-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Even with a lube sizer, I tend to fill the crimp groove on sixgun bullet with lube. I want the bullet sized all the way and I don't figure the extra lube will do any harm. I give all finished rounds a quick twist with a paper or cloth towel anyway.

I have never used a lube hard enough to require a heater. I have never used Carnuba Red, although I recently bought 2K of bullet sized with it. From what I can observe it is pretty soft stuff. It enjoys an excellent reputation and has worked fine for me thus far.