PDA

View Full Version : Ebay swaging set up

taminsong
09-05-2011, 07:45 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/38-Caliber-BULLET-SWAGING-SETUP-357-/350427015452?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519713e91c

I want to know if somebody has tried to buy one of this swaging set up?

Can it really make good bullets? I was wondering why it's so cheap?

MIBULLETS
09-05-2011, 10:32 AM
This is very similar to the 105 CH-4D die. You can make reasonably good lead semi-wadcutter bullets with it, maybe half jacketed bullets too.

Reg
09-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Same set up Herters used to sell. Have played with several and they do make reasonably good looking bullets but have only played with the half jacket versions and they did cause leading .
Am wondering if this system might not be checked out again but this time use 45/45/10 lube. Might overcome the leading problems ??????

:-?:-?

NoZombies
09-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Yup, the Herters and CH 105 dies are very similar, and can usually be found used for a lower price.

The die body is reamed and polished to a single diameter, the nose is formed in the base punch, and there is no ogive. You can use 1/2 jackets without a problem, but you cannot make fully jacketed bullets with the dies.

williamwaco
09-05-2011, 08:42 PM
The guy has a very good seller rating. I don't know anything abut the dies but if he offers a refund I would not be afraid to try it.

That said, the dies are cheap because they are not as well made or finished as those sold by C&H Tool and Die or by our member BTSniper:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?u=7908

taminsong
09-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking of. I've been trying to save for a set of 357swaging dies and when I saw this post in ebay, am somewhat tempted but its so cheap, and I doubt!

Don't want to be sorry in the end, so might better buy the best one that I can afford!

BT Sniper
09-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Friend of mine bought the .458 die and it seems it is definatly for half jeckets or less as the bore was .002 large, as in .460. I also had a problem with the base punches he uses. They are fully hardened and prone to crack or break easily. Think I got a 45 cal base punch though as it was like .452ish and broke on the third bullet made in the .458.

I imagine the dies are OK for half jacketed but do not work at all for anything near full jacketed bullets.

I have not seen the Ch 105 series dies but as most know I am found of the 101 series swage die set with both core seat die and point form (swage) die. Only way to go INOP.

Good shooting

BT

63 Shiloh
09-06-2011, 04:25 AM
I have one of these in .38 cal.

So far so good. I have made half jackets a full jackets. The full jackets are limited to a WC design due to the nose punch.

The inside of the die is nicely finished and specs are dead on. I am hoping to turn up a couple of different nose punches on my lathe and increase the capability of these swage dies.

For the price, I have no complaints, I have used the zinc gas checks and a full lead boolit at under 1000fps with no problems. I also tumble lube these boolits with Alox.

I am keen to see how a knurling tool will work on the full lead boolits and will try and make something up with my limited machining skills.

Mike

DukeInFlorida
09-06-2011, 07:30 AM
I have a CH Swage-O-Matic press, and two sets of dies. One for 38/357 and the other for 44 special/magnum. I have run the dies with half jackets, and they work fine. Most of what I have done with the press and dies is to reform existing cast bullets into semi wad cutter noses. I use a normal cast (with lube groove) 147 grain 9mm bullet, lube and size that, and then bump it up to 357 size, and the nose changes at the same time from round nose to SWC. The lube in the lube groove stays in place perfectly. So, from a 9mm mold, I get TWO bullet sizes (same weight).

Ditto on the 44 mag set. Those I use with a heavy .40 S&W cast bullet, and bump that up to a 44 special swc.

Running lead wire into the CH Swage-O-Matic press would give you a bullet shaped part with no ability to really apply lube. I suppose a quick dunk in Lee Alox (I prefer the White Label Xlox version) would be better than nothing.

As has been pointed out, this press and the tools that come with them were really designed for use with half jackets. I have some with the Herters name on them. I'm pretty sure that you could also go with the Hornady jackets and do OK.

Keep in mind that the press that you are looking at has an aluminum body, and isn't all that strong, as presses go. Also, the stroke of the ram is very short. You're not going to be able to use that press as a platform for anything other than the original tools that come with it.

Wayne Smith
09-06-2011, 08:20 AM
I have one of the Herter's setups for .44 and have discovered that my Lee 338 mold casts the perfect size lead for a 240gr bullet in the half jackets. Which is good ecause since I got the Oldfeller Frankenstein I have no need for that mold!

LeadHound
09-10-2011, 02:28 AM
I think it might be better to look here

http://www.hawkbullets.com/swage-it.htm

Ervin
09-10-2011, 10:21 AM
A few years back I called Sport-Flite looking for recent flyer. His wife said they had retired and sold all there business to a man in New Jersey. I think these are old Sport-Flite dies.
Ervin

NoZombies
09-11-2011, 03:14 PM
The hawk bullet people sent me to the ebay auctions when I inquired about their dies. at $50 a set, I would have tried a few, at $150 a set, they would have to be something I really wanted.