PDA

View Full Version : Sorting clip on and stick on WW

convert69
09-05-2011, 06:12 AM
I have 9 5 gallon buckets of WW I have sorted the ZN and FE out. In the past I just guessed half clip ons and half stick ons. I am casting for 45, 40 and 9mm. Should I seperate the stick ons and the clip ons before smelting.

Gtek
09-05-2011, 08:02 AM
I would and do, 1 lb. ingots. Smelt pot is for smelting, pour pot is for pouring. In future you can change or tune or up batch on pour. If you 50/50 you are there and may take a whole lot more to get somewhere else. Gtek

KohlerK91
09-05-2011, 10:40 AM
Supposedly the stick on weights are of a softer alloy more suitable for something requiring less than 10BHN. Something like your hollowbase moulds. I seperate the stick on for my bucket of WW. I dont know when Ill need them but they are there when I do. Alot of guys will get fancy with alloys (little bit of this and little bit of that) but all I have ever used is WW and have had minimal leading(doesn't take any longer to clean than shooting FMJ) and the accuracy is acceptable to me(45acp 800-900FPS).

bobthenailer
09-05-2011, 11:01 AM
I keep the clip on and stick on WW seperate the soww are usually pretty close to straight lead .
later after i melt the soww into ingots and figure how much i have, i melt it again and add the approate amount of monotype , linotype or bearing babbit to bring it up to the hardness desired.

imashooter2
09-05-2011, 11:40 AM
If you mix them on smelting they can't be separated in the future. If you smelt them separate, you have the ability to mix or not depending on what you are casting. Just because you only cast .45, .40 and 9 today does not mean you will only cast those three tomorrow...

blackbike
09-12-2011, 08:32 AM
If you are just guessing you are dang close, see how that works for you, then maybee adjust one way or the other, softer slower, harder hoter. thats what I do.

Defcon-One
09-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Keep them seperate!

badbob454
09-13-2011, 02:35 AM
i seperate the soww for use in quib or subsonic loads , or lee's 12 guage slugs and small rifle .225 i think they will ease out the barrel without sticking so bad on light , meaning quiet loads in my 223 , i havent yet found a decent load to do this yet though...still experimenting .... i use clip on w/w , (coww )for my magnum handgun and rifle loads water dropped and gas checked if necessary above 15-1600 fps, or where accuracy isnt too good with out a gas check