PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me not to

gunnut14
09-04-2011, 01:47 PM
I have (I hope ) all of the rifle and handgun loading tools I need .
I have a couple of Winchester model 12's that I put away many years ago.
I have a Lee loader in 12 ga that I used for them back in the day.
Was thinking of getting a reloader for them ( to have on hand if needed) and was wondering what to buy.
Have read several posts and they can get as expensive as rifle reloading.
Am not cheap but for only a few boxes a year what do you suggest?

gunnut14

oneokie
09-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Unless you plan on loading shot sizes that are not readily available, stick with store bought shells.

elk hunter
09-04-2011, 02:06 PM
I have several shotshell loaders most of them fairly expensive, but I also have a Lee shotshell loader that works OK if you're not in to production loading. I use mine for loading roll crimped rounds as it is easy to remove the rounds prior to crimping.

handyman25
09-04-2011, 02:17 PM
I use a Mec 600 and they can be picked up used for $50 to $75. if you are only talking 3 or 4 boxes per year then money wise it does not make since.

southpaw
09-07-2011, 05:02 AM
Either the mec 600 or the lee load all will work for what you are doing. I have no experience with the lee but I have heard that they work. I like the mec but they are a little more money.

Only shooting a few boxes of shells a year it may take awhile to save the money that you have invested in the equipment. If you are loading shells just for breaking clays then you won't be saving much (maybe a buck or so compared to cheap wally world shells). However, if you are talking about loading hunting shells then the lee would likely pay for itself in the first year and the mec in the second year of reloading.

Either way I think you would get more satisfaction from loading them yourself. I know I do.
Jerry Jr.

missionary5155
09-07-2011, 06:02 AM
Good morning
For just a couple boxes a year get a Lee Loader and happily knock out a box in 30 minutes. I did my crow loads that way for years. Mike inPeru

blaster
09-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Buy your 4 boxes a year. It's not worth gearing up for.

09-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Stick with the factory, but have a Lee Loader around for the fun of it.

JesterGrin_1
09-08-2011, 05:44 PM
I asked the very same question months ago. As I only shoot maybe 12 boxes a year. And none of it is special ammo. Just for Dove and Quail. So 7 1/2 to 9 shot is the norm. So with the help of the people here I decided it was not worth it for me to start reloading for the Shot Gun.

But as other have said if you make special ammo such as O or OO or slug ammo for hunting then it would probably be worth it.

Stork
09-08-2011, 06:23 PM
I had the same thought 8-9 yrs ago. I don't shoot shotgun enough to warrant reloading, but I did want to make up some rock salt loads for repetitive pests that won't quit shi&^%^&* on my lawn and the owners refuse to keep them in their own yards (I live out in the country but do try to keep a neat front yard).

I bought a Lee Load All and put a half dozen together but have yet to need one. Oh well, evidently they either moved or the promise I made them about delivering a load of rock salt the next time sunk in. If you're not going to load large quantities, the Lee does deliver a good enough product. I've loaded on PW 375's, MEC 600's, Grabbers, and 650's and the end results with the Lee will shoot alongside any of them.

FWIW
Stork

the sentinel
09-10-2011, 08:47 PM
I only load round ball, and 0 buckshot, but I got my mec for about $15 used, just layin on the floor of a gun shop. Occasionally, at certain shops, they buy people's collections of stuff, and price it cheap just to get rid of it. I lucked out with mine, because it even has the adjustable charge bar, which was something I thought I'd have to buy. I'd look for something used if you really want to reload.