PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Tumbling Media Results

deltaenterprizes
09-04-2011, 10:34 AM
I have done three batches so far and the results have been positive.

The first batch was 45 ACP brass that went through Hurricane Katrina and came out clean and useable but not shiny.

The second batch was 308 Win with the same history and came out bright and shiny

The third was 41 mag and like the others and came out clean not shiny but useable.

The Mod "B" tumbler is over 25 years old and the gasket for the top had cracked from age and made a mess but with a quick repair it is now working well.

I priced a new liner and found that a drum and liner can be purchased for the same price as the liner alone!

blikseme300
09-04-2011, 11:35 AM
I saw the posts on SS media and being the inquisitive type I ordered the kit from one of the suppliers. Kit included the Thumler tumbler, SS media & Lemi-Shine.

All I can say is: "Wow!"

I am not a rifle reloader so cannot comment on rifle brass but my pistol brass looks as good as new.

I did a test in which I went and collected brass from one of the local ranges that had been ignored by others as to dirty and corroded. Many of these had been squished into the wet ground and were very nasty. Without any prior cleaning I tumbled these in the recommended mix of SS media, Lemi-shine, dawn liquid and water.

After only 2 hours running the results were quite amazing. The brass that was severely corroded had a slight coppery coloration to them. I the deprimed these cases and ran them for another 2 hours. The difference between these cases and my others were not noticeable as the cleaning removed all traces of the corrosion and dirt.

I am totally sold on the use of SS media and don't bother with my vibratory cleaners any more.

Bliksem