PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Reloading

Johnw...ski
09-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Here is the message I just sent to Hornady.

I recently purchased 2 Hornady Carbide Expander Spindles for .223 from Palmetto State Armory, LLC.
I got around to using one today and the collet nut to hold the de-capping pin stripped on the first case I tried to size. The nut from the second assembly stripped on the second case. I managed to get around the problem by fitting the carbide ball to my RCBS spindle. Supposidly lube is not needed with the carbide expander, what BS. I have to wonder if it really is carbide.
Hornady makes good bullets, you should stick with what you know.
If the above is any indication of Hornadys other reloading products I want no part of them.
What ****.

This purchase was very disappointing, not only was the quality lacking but the whole reason for the carbide expanders was to eleminate a step, lubing the inside of the case necks, the expanders do not even do that right.

Hornadys response should be interesting if I even get one.

John

deltaenterprizes
09-04-2011, 08:58 AM
I noticed a big decline in the quality of the machine work between my Pro-Jector and my new LNL press.

Rockydog
09-04-2011, 09:32 AM
I have gotten excellent customer service from Hornady. I was lubing my case necks by mixing graphite with #8 shot in a small jar and plunging the case neck into the shot. I don't know how it happened, maybe I stuck the case in the shot at too shallow an angle, but a single shot ended up in a case. It naturally settled in the uniformed primer hole and when the decap pin hit it dead center it snapped off the decap pin. It was not the replacable pin type. I e-mailed Hornady and asked what it would cost to get a replacement. I described exactly what happened almost word for word as I wrote here. Four days later it was in my mailbox, NO CHARGE. I can't predict what your experience will be but they came through for me and more New Dimension dies will be in my future. RD

Johnw...ski
09-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Well today was the first business day since I sent my complaint, no reply.
And the product I bought is still junk.

John

Here is the message I just sent to Hornady.

I recently purchased 2 Hornady Carbide Expander Spindles for .223 from Palmetto State Armory, LLC.
I got around to using one today and the collet nut to hold the de-capping pin stripped on the first case I tried to size. The nut from the second assembly stripped on the second case. I managed to get around the problem by fitting the carbide ball to my RCBS spindle. Supposidly lube is not needed with the carbide expander, what BS. I have to wonder if it really is carbide.
Hornady makes good bullets, you should stick with what you know.
If the above is any indication of Hornadys other reloading products I want no part of them.
What ****.

This purchase was very disappointing, not only was the quality lacking but the whole reason for the carbide expanders was to eleminate a step, lubing the inside of the case necks, the expanders do not even do that right.

Hornadys response should be interesting if I even get one.

John

troyboy
09-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Everybody has some bad stuff come from time to time. It is the customer service after the mistake that counts. Patience...... then let us all know how you are treated.

Johnw...ski
09-07-2011, 06:10 PM
Everybody has some bad stuff come from time to time. It is the customer service after the mistake that counts. Patience...... then let us all know how you are treated.

It's day 2 and no response, I guess they know that I know what kind of **** they are selling and no explanation will satisfy me.

John

BeeMan
09-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Online contact didn't net the fastest response when I dealt with Hornady or RCBS. However, in both cases the companies took care of me. It may be better to call if you need an answer the same day.

Hornady sent a 45 ACP taper crimp die at no charge when I called to clarify my online question about die adjustment. RCBS has sent replacement parts at no charge.

I have stopped by the Hornady plant several times for 'seconds' and took a plant tour as well. The people there are fine folks who will take care of a reasonable request that is fairly presented. During one visit they test fired a full box of ammo over what the owner admitted was probably a firearm problem, then replaced it with a smile and thanks for coming in.

BeeMan

xdmikey
09-07-2011, 09:35 PM
give them a ring if for no other purpose than to hear their silly recorded message answer!

357 Voodoo
09-07-2011, 10:02 PM
give them a ring if for no other purpose than to hear their silly recorded message answer!

+1
the message is worth the call

Fishman
09-07-2011, 10:56 PM
I've found that being polite goes a long way toward obtaining a successful resolution. I realize your email was sent after a very frustrating situation but it reads very much like what any old troll would write. "I used your product and it was a piece and by extension so is your whole company". Nowhere in your message did you indicate what you expected them to do to fix the problem. Hopefully they will take care of you. I have had nothing but good experiences with Hornady.

09-08-2011, 12:50 AM
Having made a career of commisioned retail sales -- no happy customer, no paycheck -- I can say that Fishman spoke volumes, and there may be a reason why Hornady is not responding promptly. Put someone on the defensive and they will dig their heels in.

Also, the Labor Day holiday needs to be taken into consideration.

Hornady has done more for me than what I ever would have expected.

By the way, when you call Hornady, their recorded answering message is quite entertaining.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-08-2011, 09:01 AM
I've found that being polite goes a long way toward obtaining a successful resolution. I realize your email was sent after a very frustrating situation but it reads very much like what any old troll would write. "I used your product and it was a piece and by extension so is your whole company". Nowhere in your message did you indicate what you expected them to do to fix the problem. Hopefully they will take care of you. I have had nothing but good experiences with Hornady.

Vinegar or Honey ?

I always start with Honey.
Jon

firefly1957
09-08-2011, 09:11 AM
My very old Hornady .223 die broke the decapper I emailed them to purchase a new part but they were no longer available so they sent new sizing die at no charge. I thought that is great service.

Johnw...ski
09-08-2011, 09:34 AM
I'll be happy to spend my money elsewhere.

John

Frosty Boolit
09-08-2011, 06:12 PM
+1 for great service and support.

Fishman
09-08-2011, 11:55 PM
I'll be happy to spend my money elsewhere.

John

Titled: "Hornady Junk":roll:

Hey, the water's over here. Here horsey, horsey. Dang, where's my rope. Ok, there you go, now drink. Why won't you drink? Wait a minute, you're not a horse . . . [smilie=1:

Hometek
09-09-2011, 12:15 AM
2 lnl ap presses, casefeeder, bulletfeeder and 1 lnl classic press in my reloading shed. Very satisfied with the quality of equipment. If I now tried their dies and found them to be lacking in quality then I wouldn't buy the dies. But I wouldn't quit using their other equipment that works fine for me.

Johnw...ski
09-09-2011, 06:10 AM
Ok, Ok, I sent them a letter with the broken parts.

John

clintsfolly
09-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Just off the phone with Hornady. i have stuck 2 case in the last week using One Shot NH the water base stuff. The tech said he has not heard of this problem but whats your address and i will send you a can of the oil base One Shot free. I said it not necessary and he said it on it way. Clint a Happy Hornady customer

clintsfolly
09-09-2011, 05:57 PM
just got a email for Hornady my free can of One Shot shipped today WoW !!!!! cClint a Happy Hornady Customer

Rockydog
09-10-2011, 05:12 AM
Clint, The One Shot waterbase product MUST be allowed to set until absolutely dry after application if you are going to use it. I found this out the hard way too. It is not the best product for loading straighter walled cases like the TCUs or WSMs either. RD

MtGun44
09-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Big fan of Hornady New Dimension Dies. I broke a decapping rod and tried to buy a new one,
since it was my fault. They sent a new one for free.

I agree that asking nicely and being totally honest is a lot more likely to get you fair treatment
than starting off with a harsh comment. I expect that at some point they will fix your
problem. OTOH, you were using somebody else's part and maybe their threads are not
designed to work with the Hornady stuff - although I don't exactly claim to understand the
details of your problem. Mixing in somebody else's parts may complicate it a bunch, or it
would if it were me on the other end. I'd want to be sure I was fixing my mistake, not
somebody else's.

Bill

bigjason6
09-11-2011, 12:59 AM

They certainly do have a sense of humor at hornady! Had the part on my ap that rotates the shell plate break on my very first run with that press. Called up customer service and the part was out the door the same day! The guy also said to call him back when I got the part and he'd walk me through with replacing it. If thats not great service I don't know what is!