PDA

View Full Version : Red dot for BFR

bearcove
09-03-2011, 06:36 PM
My 475 is going to be here next week. I want to get a red dot for it but don't no which ones are good and which aren't. What will hold up on it?

Thanks, Rod

white eagle
09-03-2011, 09:33 PM
I will be the first among many who will recommend Ultra Dot

Whitworth
09-03-2011, 09:35 PM
Ultradot all the way!

ole 5 hole group
09-04-2011, 01:03 AM
Surely the ultradot is a great red dot but there are a few others depending upon your tastes and budget. If you’re looking for a tube type red dot, I’ve read nothing but praise from individuals using the ultradot.

If you’re looking for a short tube, then Aimpoint makes the micro, as well as a slightly longer tube type red dot. Burris, Leupold and JPoint make excellent heads up display type red dots. I’m sure there are a few others out there that will stand up to whatever you have in mind.

The heads up displays are extremely light compared to the tube types but either style will serve you well if your iron sights aren’t as sharp as they use to be.

Myself, I use the Leupold DeltaPoint and I’m currently looking at possibly adding an Aimpoint micro to the stable.

saz
09-04-2011, 01:42 AM
Does anyone have any experience with Meulller optics? They make a red dot that looks almost identical to the Ultra Dot, and is made in the USA. Here is a link http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/Mueller-1x35-mm-MX1-Scope.aspx?a=354545&pm2d=CSE-SPG-3-GOOGLE&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse

bearcove
09-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Budget is an issue but I'm willing to pay for quality. The heads up type are tempting since they are so compact. Is there much difference compared to a ultradot?

Whitworth
09-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Ultradot also makes a reflexive sight -- the Pan-A-V. The only tube-type sights I have seen that will withstand the abuse generated by these big revolvers are the Ultradots. They are also light in weight -- the Ultradot 30 weighs only 4-oz.

bearcove
09-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Sounds like I need to go find a good deal on an ultradot.

What size dot do you like? The 4moa sounds good.

Whitworth
09-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Sounds like I need to go find a good deal on an ultradot.

What size dot do you like? The 4moa sounds good.

My favorite for hunting is the Ultradot 30 which has a 4 MOA dot. They are $160.00 shipped and have a lifetime warranty. Really hard to beat for the price!

www.ultradotwest.com

bearcove
09-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the info and link.

Rod

Frank
09-05-2011, 11:02 AM
If you shoot in the bright sun I would recommend the Matchdot. Otherwise, the Ultradot 30 is good. If you turn it down it gets smaller.

bobthenailer
09-05-2011, 11:37 AM
The only 2 downsides to the Ultradot red dot scopes are a smaller field of vew than most 30 mm red dots and ive never seen one with a perfectly round dot ! this may or maynot bother you but it does me .
On the plus side . compact size , tough , priced reasonably , and LIFETIME WARRENTY !
Ive been useing red dot sights since the 1980 s and currently have approx 25 ranging in price from 35 to 600 dollars. Ive owned approx 50 over the years
IMO the best red dot sight is the AIMPOINT if you want to spend the cash! compact size , large field of view and the dot has been perfectly round in everyone ive owned , i currently have 8 . the downside only a 10 year warrenty

Frank
09-05-2011, 12:13 PM
bobthenailer:

IMO the best red dot sight is the AIMPOINT
I'm very pleased with my two Matchdots, Ultradot 30 & 24. The Pan-V has a weaker mounting system so it's not good for heavy recoiling revolvers. What Aimpoint are you specifically talking about?

Larry Gibson
09-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Might want to look at the Burris Fast Fire. They are small and weigh a lot less. Thus on a heavy recoiling load they have less intertia to cause things to break or loosen up. They are made to withstand recoil and can be mounted on semi auto slides and shotguns and large caliber rifles. They are also small in size which makes them easier to carry in smaller hlsters.

I put on on my .41 magnum using a flat based Weaver base. I can easily remove the FF with a quarter and the iron sights are still there to use and still zeroed. It works for me. I am also getting another to put on my .44 FTBH.

Larry Gibson

Whitworth
09-05-2011, 12:58 PM
There is one thing about Ultradots that is of the utmost importance, and that is their ability to soak up recoil and keep on truckin.' I'm not talking about .41 or .44 magnum recoil, but .454, .475, .500 JRH, .500 Linebaugh recoil. Not knocking the other sights, but Ultradots can take an enormous beating, and that in and of itself is enough for me to keep coming back for more.

white eagle
09-05-2011, 01:20 PM
this is true
I have had lesser more inexpensive models that fell apart
on my 44 mag
so factor in the enormous recoil of the larger calibers
the cheapies will fall apart before you mount them

bearcove
09-05-2011, 01:43 PM
I don't like sending back broken scopes and waiting for repairs/replacement. If I loose a part of field of view so I know it will hold up thats what I'll get. I am going to spend a lot of time in costal Alaska on my boat. A broken scope isn't easy to send off for repair while floating around on a boat. I hate sitting in port waiting for parts.

98Redline
09-05-2011, 05:34 PM
I would also throw my vote in for the Match Dot.

I like the fact that I can reduce the dot side all the way down to a 2 MOA dot or all the way up to an 8.

From a practical standpoint I decided to put a sunshade on both the front and rear of the site. Keeps the glare down regardless of where the sun is.

bobthenailer
09-06-2011, 10:26 AM
i use the aimpoints on anything from 22 lr up to 454 casull , i currentlyy have a 3000 / comp / comp xd / comp c / comp c3 and micro. some models i have more than one .
i currently have 2 ultradots . and have looked through several others !
Ive had the aimpoints on 44 mags for years with no problems ! with the 454 casull & the comp models after a approx 5 years of shooting the on off switch starts to become loose but still woks fine for sometime then the dot starts to go in & out ! you will need a new switch , both of mine were under warentee. since ive put the micros on my 454s for about 3 years now and ther both doing fine so far , and i shoot about 1000 rounds a year from either 454
Just a obversation that may help someone? On any red dot sight that has different styles or size reticules you may have a point of impact shift when changing types or sizes of reticules at ranges mostley beyond 25 yards ! some are better than others , you can ck it somewhat with a collimator so far ive tested several models of tascos , and a weaver, and redfield red dot sights .

bearcove
09-06-2011, 11:09 AM
The aimpoints sound nice but cost 3x as much.

I think the ultradot is a better deal, have to see if I can find one to look at.

bobthenailer
09-06-2011, 11:54 AM
I would have all aimpoints if they were less expensive but thats not the case ! other brands i have are ultradot , tasco , redfield , burris , trijucon & pride fowler out of 25 or so that i currently have only about 8 or 10 are aimpoint but ive have owned several other brands in the past.

Frank
09-07-2011, 12:05 AM
Bearcove, what boolit are you going to try?

sergeant69
09-07-2011, 12:32 AM
speaking of ultra dot........i had an issues w/a match dot on a 629 so i called em today and a real person answered, solved the issue in about 10 seconds, thanked me for my call and told me to call back anytime. this kind of service is outstanding. plus, the scope is dam impressive. bobthenailer can obviously advise you a lot better than i can but this is my experience.

Frank
09-07-2011, 01:28 AM
Get Warne Rings for it while you are at it. The PR rings work great.

bearcove
09-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Bearcove, what boolit are you going to try?

I have the RCBS 400gr to start with. If it works well then I don't know if I'll need another for a while.

Frank
09-07-2011, 09:02 PM
I can't tell you I have had success with the RCBS because the Lee really beat it.

bearcove
09-07-2011, 09:49 PM
that was another choice. Easy choice with Lee prices.