PDA

View Full Version : Amount of Neck Tension for Rifles.

USSR
09-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Will soon be receiving my NOE .30 caliber 247gr mould. My intention is to develop a 1600 - 1800fps load for my .30-06 boltgun. Since I have and use bushing dies, I can pretty much set my necks to whatever size I want. So, my question is, since I will be sizing my boolits to .310", how much neck tension should I go for? Thanks.

Don

Baron von Trollwhack
09-03-2011, 05:32 PM
I do not believe that it is the amount of neck tension beyond that needed for integrity of the ammo application. It is the uniformity, round to round, lot to lot, reload to reload.

BvT

DLCTEX
09-03-2011, 06:23 PM
I would anneal the necks and size .002 under boolit dia.

btroj
09-03-2011, 06:44 PM
For range use, just enough to hold the bullet. This is assuming single loading. From the magazine I would want enough to keep the bullet from moving.
Like the Baron said, match the tension to the ammo application.

Larry Gibson
09-03-2011, 06:53 PM
USSR

I also use bushing dies with numerous cartridges. As most case necks are tapered. I try to use .002 about midway down the neck. This amounts to around .003 at the base of most case necks (those not turned) where the GC will be. On turned necks I do not size more than .002 for most cast bullets in rifle cartridges. That results in keeping concentricity as good as possible and hold the bullets in the necks without movement in transportation or recoil. In some cases where a crimp is applied i still strive for .002 neck tension and not more than .003.

Larry Gibson

USSR
09-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Brass is '62 LC Match, and it has been turned "just" enough to remove the high spots. The bullet will be a plain base (2 cavity mould, 1 HP), and I will be trying IMR4895 and RL22 to start it off slowly. Will try .002" neck tension. Thanks.

Don

JeffinNZ
09-04-2011, 06:25 PM
I do not believe that it is the amount of neck tension beyond that needed for integrity of the ammo application. It is the uniformity, round to round, lot to lot, reload to reload.

BvT

+1. My No4 MkII Lee Enfield gets real upset when the brass get hard.

303Guy
09-04-2011, 11:13 PM
My No4 MkII Lee Enfield gets real upset when the brass get hard. Does that mean dead soft annealinging? I did a batch like that and it seemed to be just fine but I did observe that the primer was able to move the bullet out of the case. (Yes, j-word bullet :???:). I'm happy to do that with cast boolits. It does make sense. (Of course one should ask what on earth I'd be doing with j-words in the first place! It was in the dark ages before the light! Sadly, they're still the ones that work in the 'rust textured' bore two-groove :(. And work very well indeed).

JeffinNZ
09-05-2011, 05:11 AM
Yeah, pretty soft.