PDA

View Full Version : walmart winchester hulls, reloadable?

the sentinel
09-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Hello forum, its been a while!

I have a question regarding the hulls of the winchester 100rd value pack ammunition. Are they reloadable, and where would you find reloading data for them if they are? I would like to reload them with buckshot so if I lose some cases, its no great loss. Thank you!

sargenv
09-03-2011, 05:39 PM
I believe these are the hulls known as Winchester with polyformed plastic base.. they can reload a couple of times, but you need be really careful as they tend to crush above the steel rim if you try too hard to crimp them.. There is an adjustment on the cam of the MEC systems..

izzyjoe
09-03-2011, 06:33 PM
i'm glad to hear that, cause i've saved a bunch of them. i've been thinking i'd start reloading for shotgun. 8-)

legend
09-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Just a thought....our gunclub throws away about a dumpster full of all kinds of hulls every couple of weeks.

if you have axcess to a trap/skeet/sporting clays club you would probably find better hulls for your loading than the promotional ammo at walmart.

winchester AA hulls,remington rxp (or latest version),or federal gold medal all are better hulls,and you will get more loadings out of them.

Johnch
09-03-2011, 09:10 PM
If you decide to load the Poly Formed hulls ( I will NOT )

First polish the deprime punch
Most of the time they rough area's from turning

As once in a while the base wad will catch on the rough area of the punch and be pulled up
Normaly when you load the hull , it will be pushed back down
But I have seen them come out of the hull and lodge in the barrel

I would much rather see you load Rem Gun Club hulls ( STS Data ) or Fed or Estate paper based hulls ( Fed High Powder load data )

John

odfairfaxsub
09-03-2011, 10:06 PM
[QUOTE=johnch;1385317]If you decide to load the Poly Formed hulls ( I will NOT )

First polish the deprime punch
Most of the time they rough area's from turning

As once in a while the base wad will catch on the rough area of the punch and be pulled up
Normaly when you load the hull , it will be pushed back down
But I have seen them come out of the hull and lodge in the barrel

I would much rather see you load Rem Gun Club hulls ( STS Data ) or Fed or Estate paper based hulls ( Fed High Powder load data )

i love using the universal 8"s. you can't find anyone really that will be like, o yes they are awsome, because their not. their mediocre but i use them in a 21-23 grain unique .690 round ball load and they survived 2 shots now not including all the shots taken by the guy who reloaded them ? times before me and gave me his stash to start my opperation with.

Patrick L
09-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Agree with all of the above.

Basically any hull can be reloaded if you learn and deal with its idiosyncrasies. As a 16 gauge reloader, I learned that lesson early.

However, especially in 12 and 20 guage, better and easier hulls are available in abundance.

That said, sometimes a case can be made for garbage hulls. On most sporting clays courses, it is impractical and sometimes outright prohibited to pick up your hulls. I like to have a small supply of junk hulls for loads to shoot in the autoloaders, rather than lose those precious AAs and STSs.

odfairfaxsub
09-05-2011, 10:13 AM
to me the new experience is that tapered hulls provide more consistant shooting instead of the plastic cup on the bottom (whatever is up with that)

the federal cheapos is what i just got done loving yesterday. they work out great and the remingtion plastic cheapos look just as great with better stronger plastic.

wonderwolf
09-05-2011, 01:03 PM
As far as I've found the Winchester universal hulls are the same type of construction as the new AA hulls just with a steel base and a poorer quality plastic. I've reloaded a lot of them once or twice and tossed them but I had a hell of a problem getting good crimps. They are good hulls to use if your hunting in brush or whatnot. I hate dropping good brass AA hulls but these I don't mind misplacing.

Lots of the value pack hulls have the same construction as the high end hulls

The new lyman shotshell loading manual has a good breakdown of some of these comparisons. Though I'm not sure if the frustration is always worth it unless you have a MEC or something you can fine tune things with (I'm loading with a LEE LOAD-ALL II)

Win uni and win AA hulls
Rem gun club and STS hulls

EMC45
09-05-2011, 05:47 PM
I find tons of these at my local skeet club. I load them with AA data (this is according to instructions from Alliant Powder). They do just fine. They sometimes get some gnarly looking crimps, but go bang always.

odfairfaxsub
09-05-2011, 06:05 PM
I find tons of these at my local skeet club. I load them with AA data (this is according to instructions from Alliant Powder). They do just fine. They sometimes get some gnarly looking crimps, but go bang always.

someone once was like uhhh no you have to find universal data or your a dumb dumb and will blow you gun apart. they failed to look at a grey aa and a universal 8, practically the same shell but the flutes are missing. i generally underload my shell 1-2 grains in the 12 ga to help stretch the powder out so the universals are in no way shape or form going to be shreaded apart by crazy pressures.

good call on aa data

JIMinPHX
09-06-2011, 12:36 AM
I load them once, then throw them away. I've used them with low end buckshot & slug loads, around 1,000fps with good results.

the sentinel
09-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Thanks for all the responses, and helpful information. I did want to load the walmart hulls so I don't have to fear losing them. It seems like whenever I take out some reloaded AA's, I always come back with less than I left with. Kinda sucks. So yeah, losing junk hulls, meh, not too bad. haha. Thanks for everything, guys.