PDA

View Full Version : Long Day

lead Foot
09-03-2011, 04:27 PM
Yesterday I left at 4am and travelled 800kms round trip to pick up my new gun (Ruger hawkeye in 7mm-08) I put my scope on and took it out to sight it in. Aimed at a tree and counld'nt beleave it ~ it went were I aimed:holysheep. So went to check on a dead cow to see if any pigs were feasting. I parked near the dead cow, the smell was like roast to pigs.(dead for some time) Well out of the bladey grass came one pig followed by another one ~ four all up. They come right up to me. In the end there were three dead pigs and a big smile on my face:bigsmyl2: Sleeped well.
Lead foot;

Trey45
09-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Long day yes, good day most certainly! Congrats on the new rifle and the swine!

Echo
09-03-2011, 05:46 PM
LF, do you cook & eat the pigs? My BIL has them around his place occasionally, plugs them and gives to a neighbor who enjoys BBQ'ing them & inviting the neighbors to the feast.

MtGun44
09-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Great rifle, great caliber. Do you eat the pigs?

That is a long way to the gun dealer!

Bill

plmitch
09-04-2011, 01:15 AM
A long day but well worth it by the sound of it. I'd say good luck with the new gun but I don't think you need it, just came with it.

Southern Son
09-04-2011, 01:52 AM
Lead Foot, who did you get your new Boom Boom from? Good on you for getting a few grunters. It has been so long since I went shooting for pigs (i would be happy to just get into some rabbits). If they ain't too gory for this section, perhaps some Pics of the porkers with your new rifle would be a good idea, many around here say that if there is no photo, then it never happened!

lead Foot
09-04-2011, 05:51 AM
Sorry to say I don't eat them ~ they are full of worms. There is a young girl in town that lost her sight in one eye from eating wild pig. They are a big pest here. Iv'e shot 50 ~ 60 in the last month or two. My new gun is just a work horse. SS got the gun from Cleaver's.. Is has a 6x42 Meopta scope. Went out this afternoon and saw two more. I sneaked up on these two ~ got with in 20meters and one looked up ~ time to shoot I said to myself and "click":oops: No round in the chamber. All ended well, two shots ~ two dead pigs. It is now spring here and I'm going out west for my bi annual hunting trip at Muttaburra on the 19th. Will take lots of pic's and post. I go from one cattle station to another for vacation?
Lead foot;

Rockydog
09-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Nice shooting. The worms you are speaking of are most likely Trichina, a type of roundworm that invades the tissues of it's host by travelling through the bloodstream. Wild hogs, bears, and some small game may also carry them in the USA and elsewhere throughout the world, you're not alone in this one. If pork is thoroughly cooked the danger from eating them is virtually non existant unless you recontaminate the cooked pork with dirty utensils, counter tops etc. Here's a guide to proper cook temps and times.

Food preparationLarvae may be inactivated by the heating, freezing (caution), or irradiation of raw meat. Freezing may only be effective for T. spiralis, since some other species, such as T. nativa, are freeze resistant and can survive long-term freezing.[11]

Cooking meat products to an internal temperature of 165 °F (74 °C) for a minimum of 15 seconds.
Cooking pork to a minimum uniform internal temperature per USDA Title 9 section 318.10 Table below. It is prudent to use a margin of error to allow for variation in internal temperature and error in the thermometer.

°F °C Minimum Time

120 49 21 hours
122 50.0 9.5 hours
124 51.1 4.5hours
126 52.2 2 hours
128 53.4 1 hours
130 54.5 30 minutes
132 55.6 15 minutes
134 56.7 6 minutes
136 57.8 3 minutes
138 58.9 2 minutes
140 60.0 1 minute
142 61.1 1 minute
144 62.2 Instant

Freezing pork less than 6 inches thick for 20 days at 5 °F (−15 °C) or three days at −4 °F (−20 °C) kills larval worms.
Cooking wild game meat thoroughly. Freezing wild game meats, unlike freezing pork products, even for long periods of time, may not effectively kill all worms. This is because the species that typically infects wild game is more resistant to freezing than the species that infects pigs.
Unsafe and unreliable methods of cooking meat include the use of microwave ovens, curing, drying, and smoking, as these methods are difficult to standardize and control.[11]

Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinosis

Domestic pork rarely carries these worms. US CDC figures say .013%. I'd imagine that Domestic pork in your country would be the same. In undeveloped countries and wild pork all bets are off.

IF I cooked them and verified the internal temps I'd eat them. I wouldn't trust anybody else's idea of thoroughly cooked. Rockydog